Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was this all a big waste of time...?

:Yawn: Thanks, you made me feel so much better. I thouht I was the only one that gained right after surgery. I gained 4lbs and was pissed. Now I know it was just the surgery and the hit my system took. I am learing how to listen to my body and that is hard. In the past all I ever listend to was the food. I hope I can keep focused and keep losing. I will not have a fill for 5 more weeks. So being careful with Water, calories, and Protein are all thats on my mind right now.

Why do you have to wait so long for a fill? I can tell a difference with the fill I just got on 12/30. I have another appt. next tuesday for another fill. I am at 6.2cc now and next week should put me at 7.2cc. I think then I should be good. Hang in there. Can you call and get in earlier?

Seriously, I have to wonder it I wasted my time and money on the lap band procedure. I was banded November 4th and I have only lost about 12 lbs post op and 10 lbs pre-op. Granite my father died a few weeks ago and I didn't really comply with the diet, however I've been back on track now and I am just not seeing a weight loss. I have been filled twice for a total of 1.6cc in my 10cc band. I am really starting to wonder if the lap band is right for me. I really want to make it work, I barely have any restriciton at all and If it weren't for LBT, I think I would have given up by now.

First, I want to say I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I know how stressful that can be.

I think 12lbs post op is great. I was banded 11/18 and am down total of 24, 6 from pre-op and 18 post-op. I went in a few weeks ago to see the nutritionist. I was complaining about the loss slowing down once I hit solid foods. My surgeon popped his head in & said if I wanted to lose 100lbs in 3 months I should've had bypass. He stressed that the band is a tool....not a fix all.

I'm exercising almost every day. I only lost one pound last week BUT at least I didn't gain one lb.

My clothes are fitting better. I feel better. I'm totally off metformin for diabetes.

Please be patient and give it time....I consider my band to be my new little friend.

Hang in there. I was banded in Aug and have lost 46lbs BUT I have been at a plateau for over 1 month, but can't afford to get a fill. I have 6cc in my 10cc band and don't have proper restriction anymore. Hang in there, go get another fill. You didn't waste your money but I understand you feeling the way you do.

why do we only lose 1 -2 lbs a week when we are eating so much less food than before the band

Because unlike bypass, we absorb everything we eat. So, if you are eating less, but still eating a lot of carbs that go right through the band you won't lose so quickly. So, we really have to aware of what and how much we are putting in our mouths. Plus if you don't have restriction you are really doing this all on you own. It is hard, for people who say this is the "easy way out" I would like them to take a day or less to walk in our shoes. Thinking we have found this great tool but we still have to do a lot of the work. It can be a really bad mind game. Don't let the head hunger win out. Make good sound food choices pre restriction and you will do just fine.:confused:

Why do you have to wait so long for a fill? I can tell a difference with the fill I just got on 12/30. I have another appt. next tuesday for another fill. I am at 6.2cc now and next week should put me at 7.2cc. I think then I should be good. Hang in there. Can you call and get in earlier?

My Dr. will not do a fill until 6 weeks after the surgery. He wants me to be completely healed. Weeks surgery-2 clear liquides, 2-6 mushy. However the clear liquides does include things like grits and mashed potatoes very thin. I am doing ok so far. I go back to work tomorrow so my days will be so busy I won't have time to think about being hungrey. It is only in the evening when I have a problem.

RANIA32,

We all go through this phase in the beginning. Most of us do not have huge losses the first month or two without restriction. I have lost almost every excess pound and am virtually at goal . . . but I really didn't start losing notably until my second fill around 3 months out.

Just stick to the plan and know that it is coming. I think most people really don't understand how difficult it is to lose the first 2 months . . . until they are stuck right in the middle of it. You know what you need to do, now you just have to give it time to start working.

I don't have to wait so long, I just can't afford to get one right now. My surgery was self pay so all fills are out of pocket. My pre taxed 125 plan is getting ready to refill so I shouldn't have to wait too much longer....thank GOD!!!

Don't be discouraged... I did not lose a lot of weight in the beginning. My weight loss did not really kick in till after the first 6mths to year.. I lost 60lbs in the first year and then I really started losing....My biggest problem was juices..too many calories and goes down easy. hope you have a fabulous weightloss journey. I wish you the best of luck.

weight.png

Thanks for the encouragement! I know our band is not a quick fix like bypass. That is one of the reasons I did it....nothing altered permanently in my body and I will have time to tone as I lose. I just need another fill and I will have restriction again:)

My 2 cents worth here, but I think everyone will lose at different rates, but another thing to watch is the inches we are losing. I may not be losing weight as rapidly as i'd like, but with the walking, and additional exercises, I see it in my clothes. I'm just over 5 weeks out from surgery (Banded on November 26th, 2008) and i've lost a total of 16 lbs since my surgery. However, i've lost 35 lbs total, with the 2 week diet before, and over 25 inches over my whole body! So check the inches too!!!

Last night I visited with my Sister and her family, and she's about 4 inches shorter, and 100 lbs lighter than me, or used to be. She gave me a sweater that she thought might fit and I thought she was crazy. But, I wore it to work today!!!!! Yeah! Another NSV!!!

So count the lbs, definitely, but count the inches, too, and Smile, :biggrin: Smile, :tongue: Smile :confused: !!!!!

You are sooo right about the NSV. I haven't lost a pound, well actually lost 3 or so the other day, but people swear I am "disappearing" befor their eyes:) Also I was able to comfortably wear an XL scrub pant last night. The first time in YEARS!!!

Yeah, Nickilin! Isnt that such a great feeling, to be able to realize a tiny goal, and know that something is happening, even if the scales dont show you what you want to see! Congrats!!!!!!