Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone hate their band?

I have to say I am probably in the minority but I hate the band. I mean I truly hate this thing. I have no sweet spot, it is to loose or to tight. I can not eat meat of any kind as it will get stuck. I could never eat a salad or raw vegetables. I have lost 77 pounds but I do not eat so I feel like I should have lost more than that. If I could go back, I would not have had this done. I know everybodies experiences are different but so far this journey sucks. Anyone else feel like this?

Edited by bellesmommy
typo

I'm sorry your experience is so negative; it sounds to me like you are too tight. I can eat anything except carbonated beverages. I have only had 3 fills and have a ways to go (because I can eat more than a cup) but it sounds to me like you need better follow up care.

I have to say I am probably in the minority but I hate the band. I mean I truly hate this thing. I have no sweet spot, it is to loose or to tight. I can not eat meat of any kind as it will get stuck. I could never eat a salad or raw vegetables. I have lost 77 pounds but I do not eat so I feel like I should have lost more than that. If I could go back, I would not have had this done. I know everybodies experiences are different but so far this journey sucks. Anyone else feel like this?

I am only post lap ban 5 weeks but wanted to ask you this question. Do you really want those 77 pounds back? I have only lost only 20 lbs but don't want the weight back. I pray for you that you will find what you need to be happy with your band. I hope you can find the support you need to go forward. I just found this site and I am hoping it will help me face the future. Can i help in any way?

How many fills have you had? You should be able to eat meat, salad, and raw veggies. As long as you're chewing well and eating slowly, you should be able to eat almost anything.

Many people who are too tight start eating soft foods that are higher in calories. This may be why you aren't losing more weight (although 77 pounds is wonderful!).

I suggest calling your surgeon and asking for a very small unfill. You need to work with your surgeon to get to the sweet spot...fills/unfills as small as 0.05cc may be helpful.

I'm sorry your experience is so negative; it sounds to me like you are too tight. I can eat anything except carbonated beverages. I have only had 3 fills and have a ways to go (because I can eat more than a cup) but it sounds to me like you need better follow up care.

How did you get the ticker on to this web site? I found the ticker web site but don't know how to add it to my signature.

Hope you can help. I have only been banded for 5 weeks but also have not problem eating anything. I do need to chew my food or i get a stomach ach.

First of all congrat on your weight loss. That is awesome! I know we are all different, but it does sound that if you cannot eat any type of meat cut up small and chewd very well, that you might be to tight on your fill.

I recognize that we are all different, but I can eat any type of meat, steak, chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, you name it I can eat it. (I have 4cc in a 10cc band.) I just take very small bites and chew the heck out of it before I swallow.

How is your aftecare going? Is your doctor aware of the issues you are having? What is your doctor's recommendation?

How did you get the ticker on to this web site? I found the ticker web site but don't know how to add it to my signature.

Hope you can help. I have only been banded for 5 weeks but also have not problem eating anything. I do need to chew my food or i get a stomach ach.

I copied the link into the white space on my profile.

Saved the site where the ticker is saved. I just log into the site I have bookmarked and update it when I lose, and it automatically updates over here or anywhere you have the ticker.

I dont feel like I have a sweet spot either, but oh well. It is what it is, Im determined to lose this weight this time and keep it off. My fill doctor says I am tighter than she likes us to be, I talked her into keeping it that tight, but I too can eat anything. It may be head hunger. When I want to eat, its not healthy food. Nothing is going to stop you from eating junk food except will power.

Sometimes I really miss being able to eat a regular meal. My band is pretty tight so I cannot eat very much at a time. I miss having a Thanksgiving dinner WITH a roll!

I have sincerely mourned the loss of eating the way I used to. But it was going to kill me so I have accepted (reluctantly) that I cannot be trusted around food. I'm relieved to not have to struggle anymore but I still miss eating sometimes.

I get what you're saying but I also don't want to end up like my dad who died from a stroke way before his time.

You could have your band loosened a bit- before my last fill I could eat most stuff.

they have a new band that has a remote control so you can loosen or tighten your band yourself! I could not be trusted with that!

good luck to you on your journey.

Sadie

I think there's a big difference between the people who hate their bands or are just disappointed in the results. Most people find it odd that someone who has lost as much weight as you have would be unhappy. I too found it difficult to get it right after many fills and unfills but ended up gaining instead of losing. Maybe it was a loss of control thing who knows. I've found I'm much happier and healthier without the band than was on it but it's a big decision to have removed. For me it was easy as I did it for health reasons and am much happier. Good luck to you and I hope you find the right decision for yourself, Nancy.

I had no sweet spot either. I was either able to eat absolutely anything and in any quantity or I was obstructed. It seemed like there was no middle ground. I spent 95% of my banded life under filled or unfilled. I just white knuckled it.

That's why I changed the the sleeve, it's MUCH easier.

There are times when I hate the band as well. I also have no sweet spot. But I try to look on the positive side, I wouldn't have lost the weight I have lost, without it.

I was banded 13 months ago. I have had no weight gain at all in those 13 months. I do have months when it is slower but not weight gain. I absolutley hate not being able to get food down and I am going to get a small unfill. I know how to eat or I would have gained. My after care has not been the best.

I too have had days where I cried and wondered why I got the band. I thought I made the worst mistake of my life. For about 3 weeks I was sick everyday! I was not only unable to eat, I was throwing up and in severe pain from acid reflux. I finally had an unfill and life got better. I still PB a few times a week. My band restriction changes daily. Some days I can't eat before 4pm and others I can't eat all day. My Thanksgiving dinner was saltine crackers. I am slowly mourning food. I miss eating a heaping spoon full of food and shoveling it in. I know that sounds crazy, but I watch others eat and I miss it. I have to sit down and take this tiny little bite and chew it very carefully. Then I have to wait a few before taking the next one. Before I know it, it's been 30min and I have only ate less than a half a sandwitch. But then there is the victory of stepping on the scale or trying on a smaller size and I guess it's all worth it. There is a lot more to this thing than just having the desire to be thinner and healthier. It comes with a lot of work and pain, at least in my case.

I too have had days where I cried and wondered why I got the band. I thought I made the worst mistake of my life. For about 3 weeks I was sick everyday! I was not only unable to eat, I was throwing up and in severe pain from acid reflux. I finally had an unfill and life got better. I still PB a few times a week. My band restriction changes daily. Some days I can't eat before 4pm and others I can't eat all day. My Thanksgiving dinner was saltine crackers. I am slowly mourning food. I miss eating a heaping spoon full of food and shoveling it in. I know that sounds crazy, but I watch others eat and I miss it. I have to sit down and take this tiny little bite and chew it very carefully. Then I have to wait a few before taking the next one. Before I know it, it's been 30min and I have only ate less than a half a sandwitch. But then there is the victory of stepping on the scale or trying on a smaller size and I guess it's all worth it. There is a lot more to this thing than just having the desire to be thinner and healthier. It comes with a lot of work and pain, at least in my case.

Sounds like you need a slight unfill. When you are too tight you risk erosion and slips.

Hi! Bellsmommy, we are neighbors. I am in Northern KY. I have a wonderful doctor. His name is Thomas Sonnanstine. He is at St. Luke in florence. I love him and his staff. I was originally scheduled for bypass on 8/4 and changed my mind on 7/30. I was banded on 10/13. He was very understanding and made me feel like what ever decision I made it was the correct one. I LOVE him. He is very dedicated to his patients. Maybe i you found the right doctor to help you through your journey it would be more enjoyable for you. :)

Feel free to PM me if need be.

Nessa