Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My dietician told me some people can tolerate it fine especially if you just let it flatten a little first. I haven't tried it yet because I'm struggling to fit in all of my Water. My dietician insists on no drinking 30 mins before and an hour after eating so it makes getting 2 litres of water in a bit difficult. Maybe try a small amount first and see how it goes.

I guess im lucky, i dont like any kind of sodas/fizzy stuff..

is it just the taste you are missing? or the fizz?..how about freezing the drink to make a popsicle ?..will last longer too

I am 6 days post op and have been able to drink diet coke, carbinated or not, just fine. I usualy will leave a glass of diet coke out for the day, pop 2 ice cubes in it, so by evening it's flat so I can enjoy a nice glass. I def dont drink as much as I used to but it's still nice to have one enjoyment, lol. Either that or you can sit stirring it for 5 mins with a fork to make it go flat. And there is Water in diet cola.......

Carbonation is not recommended for those with the band. My understanding is that it can cause the new "pouch" to expand and/or the band to slip. However, I still have not been able to kick the habit - drink soda every day. *cringing* I've been banded 19 mos and did well in the beginning staying away from soda - then old habits creeped back up and caught me! Still working on kicking the habit once and for all. Some banders cannot tolerate carbonation - unfortunately, I can; however, that doesn't mean that my band or pouch is going to be able to tolerate it forever.

I have been lucky to be able to eat anything so far..but honestly the beer I tried was just more trouble than it was worth. I'd take a sip and then burp for 5 minutes, then another sip and MORE burping...not worth the bother. And drink it flat? Well, ewwww! So I've given up carbonation for the band. It's a no brainer. If someone had come along and said "never drink a beer or coke again and I'll make you thin" I'd have traded in an instant, so I guess I just don't mind the sacrifice. There are worse things to lose...like a limb to diabetes! :tongue2:

I'm a month post op and Dr. lets us drink Diet Soda but limited. The Dr. states there is no proven facts to say carbanation is going to stretch pouch. I have not tried it yet so I can say how it will affect me.

HAPPY NEW YEARS

Carol

I am 3 weeks post op. I gave up the diet coke 4 days before surgery. I have read so much about people having problems with gas and burping. I have had none (knock on wood). I assume its because I don't drink carbonation anymore. My doctor has seen what the carbonation and the acid from soda can do to the esophagus and to the band. He has actually had to replace the band on 2 patients because it eats away at the band. Other's have had problems with reflux and esophagus errosion.

I made a decision when I purchased this tool to do whatever it takes to make it work. It was hard to give up my diet coke. I'm not a coffee drinker but diet coke was my morning fix. I used to drink Mountain Dew. I didn't feel very good the first day and had a headache, but I don't regret the decision. I never drank diet coke after 6 pm so I didn't think it affected my sleep, but I can tell you this....I have never slept better in my life!! I also have no bloating in my stomach. My stomach is flatter than ever. Too bad I couldn't blame carbonation on my a$$ and thighs!

I also don't crave the sweets anymore since giving up all the artificial sweetner.

I think being self pay has made me a little more disciplined since I am making a monthly payment on this investment. I don't want to sabotage it!

My doctor told me never to drink it as it will stretch my pouch . . . so I just don't want to risk it. I paid too much for this surgery and it is too important for me to risk it for a little carbonation. If this is the biggest sacrifice I have to make for better health, so be it.

I didn't drink soda before banding... Well if I did it was like 1 a month.

I recently had a small soda and it went down ok as long as I sipped. I have tight restriction and was ok. I am sure it's different for everyone though.

I can handle soda if I sip it slowly, NO STRAW! I forgot and took a drink of Diet Coke through a straw and thought I was going to die! The first drink causes a few hiccups for me, but once I get past that its okay, as long as I go slow. I try to let it sit for at least a little bit though first.

Sorry, I don't drink it. On a rare occassion, pre-band, I would crave a sugar free rootbeer, but really it was maybe once or twice a year. Post band, I am just to afraid to even go there.

Everyones doc gives such different advice, my doc has no restrictions on soda other than it has to be diet soda. I still drink soda but have cut my addiction from 4 dt. dr peppers down to 1 or 2 a day. Still not great but much better.

I had soda about 5 times in a week. And than i started slimming and getting really sick. I even had blood come out in my slimm. I tried it again about two weeks later and again I started to slimm again so I dont do it any more. I know its not good for my body or band because my body tells me so...LOL!