Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to LapLand!

I just wanted to express my thanks and gratitude to all who have contributed to this site. I received my LapBand Dec. 23rd (08) and I entered the surgery room filled with anticipation, excitement, and confidence due to the incredible amount of information I gleaned from this site. Bravo to all the courageous and determined people who are part of this special LapLand! :hurray:

Congratulations Jazzer! I too am new to Lapland! I am getting my band on January 19th. I am so excited to stop the yoyo that has been my life!

Please stay in touch and let me know how you get through the postop diet? How did you handle the pre-op diet? Were you required to have only liquids for 2 weeks? I had my PCP prescribe some app. supp. what a cheat am I!!!

Again, congrats and look forward to staying in touch! take care! Cara in KC:thumbup:

Hi Cara!

How nice of you to write back! I wish you the best - you are going to sail through the pre-op stuff. I was so surprised that I didn't have one weak moment throughout it. I just made up all kinds of names for my "shakes" and added all kinds of spices to each concoction. I was on Optifast chocolate shakes for 2 weeks; if you add a pinch of nutmeg, (sometimes few granules of cloves) and the obligatory cinnamon, lots of crushed ice, you can have a splendid Ben & Jerry's Holiday Optishake! I kept everyone totally amused with the titles for my shakes. It started off as a good mind-game for my brain and eventually I didn't even have a second thought. I was also able to have 2 cups of vegetables every day - after 5 brussell sprouts you've pretty much had enough of anything! It was good - and it was a great chance for me to remind myself (with every sip) that I deserved to be good to myself. We'll keep in touch - anything I can do to help boost your morale or make you laugh, just yell! You're going to be just fine, indeed! What a great way to start 2009!

Edited by Jazzer

:smile:Hey Jazzer, thanks for the ideas! What a great way to look at it! I am just looking at it with dread! We didnt get this way by not liking to eat! Where did you get the Optifast shakes? Are they whey or soy Protein? wish you all the success but it sounds like you have the right mind set! Take care and happy new year! Cara

Hi Cara! By the sounds of it, you are so mentally prepared to take the leap of faith in yourself. You go, girl! I think that when I made the decision to get the damn band (!) I had already turned a corner psychologically. And, I just gave myself a blanket of permission to "forgive", if you will; whatever the reason for not being at a healthy weight would not deter me from making this huge investment in myself. Somehow, the mental switch turned on and I chose to embrace the future with renewed confidence. All I know is that the elephants left my shoulders one by one and that [weight loss] stress started receding. Quite amazing, I thought! I guess it was a bottom-line thing for me - now or never - I sure did not want to service all the potential health problems that would soon be lurking in my future. My partner and family are so supportive that I could kiss them to death. However, I really did not want them to have to care for me if I became really ill. The thought of losing some independence scared me.

Re: the Optifast shakes. I believe they are only available through a doctor - they are essentially a high Protein Powder that you mix with Water. Honestly, I didn't mind them at all, rather they felt like a guilty treat of a milkshake...3x daily! hehe I think the key is to have a lot of Protein so that lean muscle mass doesn't deteriorate and the liver lightens somewhat. I see that others on this post have offered a number of options and I'm sure they are all good.

I have never joined a "forum" before and you are the only person to whom I have written so please bear with me if I'm not offering the kind of support you need. My intuition tells me that you are going to be an exceptional Lapland citizen (!) and we'll get through all of this together. Go ahead and be excited and confident about your surgery - our new reality will be something we've never experienced before and adventures are a good thing!!

I too want to thank all of you for your comments and ideas. I received my band on December 22nd. I can't give enough praise to Dr. Yenumula of Michigan State University, Department of Surgery and the entire Sparrow Hospital Weight Management Center. Since the beginning of this journey just 4 weeks ago, I have already lost 20 pounds and am well on my well to creating a healthy lifestyle and have no doubt with this wonderful new tool, I will reach my weight goal. Additionally, I feel AWESOME after surgery and I have a level of energy I didn't know existed in me!!!!

The night before my surgery, I spent hours on this site, in particular looking at what I should do to prepare for surgery and what I could consume after surgery. Although this information had been provided my my weight management team, hearing it directly for folks who had been through the process sealed the deal. The articles with suggested Phase I and II food alternatives gave me the inspiration and confidence I needed to make this life changing step.

Again, you guys rock! :tongue_smilie:

Wishing all of you a healthy, happy and blessed 2009!

Fonda

Hi Dec08Lapper!

Wow, you are doing so well!! Bravo to you - such great inspiration comes off your writing. Like you, my energy seems to be so good even considering there isn't any solid food going in! More importantly, the energy seems more calm than before - it's a good thing! I anticipate I will get good news when I check the scale at my family physician appt. tomorrow - hope it is as good as yours. Isn't this forum fantastic? So much to be learned from all these courageous folks.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Jazzer

Hey jazzer, sounds like your sense of humor is really going to come in handy! I too am new to this chat room stuff I guess it's an age thing for me! I was thinking about 2009 today! We have so much to look forward to! A new Pres, new bod, going shopping for cool clothes that are not in the "special" section, looking good in pics and in our clothes! Feeling healthy, proud that we made a stand against obesity and having energy! Stay strong and so will I! Cara:wink2: