Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this typical? NO restriction at all

I got banded the 1st of dec, swelling or whatever, got me through 5 or so days, after that I feel like I have absolutely no change. I was desperate one morning and ate part of a muffin and threw it up (felt stuck) so SOMETHING is there. I meet with the dr the 2nd of Jan for my first fill. As embarrassing as this is, I have forgotten I had the band many times, ate a very normal sized meal (which is big, in my case) and didn't even chew well because I forgot I have the band. Please tell me this is normal.

I got banded on 12/11, and feel the same exact way, the only difference is that when I do eat alot, (which is alot lesser than before), I feel miserable for quite a few hours later. I have not had any vomiting or stuck issues what so ever. I sometimes feel like the band isnt even there. But I am not due for my first fill till the middle of Jan. Alot of people say that you really dont get much restriction till you start getting fills, and then some people say that cant hardly drink or eat anything when they get the band with out fills. So I am feeling the same way as you, wondering if the darn thing really is in there, cause I have no restriction at all yet. I have lost 12 pounds though, but that is it. But I am still hungry all the time right now too.

I lost 18 but all of that was from the 2 week diet and the 5 weeks post op. I would be FINE if I could only drink slim fast.

I felt the same way you did. I felt restriction after surgery, but then once swelling went down, i didn't feel it. I was freaking out a bit! But I knew this is a 50/50 team work type thing. The band is there to help, but we have to do the work too. So I tried hard to stay strong and limit my portions. Not to say I never strayed because I did. I ate a few cake balls and was shocked that it didn't make me sick! I wanted it to make me sick!:hurray: I was still losing weight though, and keeping track of calories and Protein, etc.

I went for a check up at 5 wks and told my surgeon I wasn't feeling restriction and he said that was a sign I needed a fill. However, he is strict about waiting 6 full weeks until the first fill because he wants the band scarred in there really well. So on week 6, he was on vacation and I wanted to wait until he got back rather than have the other Dr in the office do it. So on Christmas Eve I got my first fill-----and there's definately restriction now!

So hang in there!! Try and be strong, knowing soon you'll feel that restriction again. You can do it!:laugh:

I think most people don't get restriction till about their 4th - 6th fill. I feel I was lucky, I had restriction the 1st month, was banded 3rd Sept then no restriction for two months and it wasn't untill my 5th fill a month ago that I had any restriction. I can eat anything still, most days, only smaller portions (appox 2 cups max). I go for my 6th fill 6th Jan which I am really looking forward to, I can't wait to be able to eat 1/2 - 1 cup food. So don't be discouraged, even though it is so very hard not to. My best advice is to not worry about restriction as it could take a while, but it will eventually happen.

I feel the same way. I hope this was not a waste. I was banded 11/18 had my first fill on 12/16. I still have no resrtiction and have gained 7 pounds. I am scheduled for another fill on 12/30. I am not sure this will ever work for me. Did anyone else ever think that it would not work but eventually does?

I was banded in April 2008. As all of you, I was thinking "why can I still eat?" My surgeon told me this is normal. You usually don't feel restricted until your 2nd or 3rd fill. Believe me...I was definitely restricted! So keep making good food decisions and chew, chew, chew! I tend to forget to chew my food until it's liquid and well, remember shortly after when it's stuck and I'm wanting to PB.

Congrats to you all for being banded! Good luck on your weight loss journey!

:hurray:

Thanks for the info Pam!! That's really good to know. :hurray:

I felt NO restriction after surgery. First fill - still nothing. Second fill - nothing. Got my third fill December 18th and WHOA BABY!! (Total 5.9 cc's in 10 cc band) Now things are definitely different!! I am not hungry - can really only eat about 1/2 cup at meals and it keeps me full until the next meal. I do have one piece of advice - practice taking TINY bites, chewing and chewing and chewing, and making your meals last about 30 minutes. I didn't do this because I had NO restriction and it didn't take me long to figure out that tiny bites, lots of chewing, and long meals were not really necessary. Now that I have restriction, if I forget to do those things, I am PBing. I'm HAVING to do them now. I would be doing better now if I had practiced more before I got this fill. I too was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to feel any different. I'm a happy camper now!! Good luck to you!! Becky

I was banded on 12/2 and have the EXACT same experience as you. My first fill is 1/15 and I cannot wait. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I feel some restriction but from what I understand from reading here it could take a couple or even several fills before you do. :hurray: I have been careful but have been able to eat everything I have tried and have not had any of the stuck or uncomfortable feeling that others speak of. I have been disappointed as I have felt really hungry. I am just hoping that this will change.

thanks guys! I guess I am lucky to get a fill on the 2nd. Honestly, the pb doesn't bother me. It seems, when it happens, I usually avoid that food completely. I now cannot really eat muffins. Only 90 million more bad foods to eliminate.

I did not feel restriction untill my 3rd fill. It is different for everyone. Probably the reason your muffin came back up is because (1) it was morning time and (2) it was a muffin..to dense.

I cannot eat anything untill about 10 or 11 in the morning after my band wakes up.

Good luck to you,

Lucy

i too had surgery in august and although i am dong quite well (down 63 lbs) I still would like to know how it feels to only be able to eat a small portion and feel "full". I am scheduled for my 4th fill in 2 weeks. Continue the great work!

Hi everybody, I was banded on June 23 2008 and didn't feel anything for 4 months even though I was getting fills every month. Turns out finally the doctor took everything out and there was nothing in my band. The fill nurse who was fired (yikes) hadn't gotten it right. I had only lost 1 lb. in 4 months, I was so discouraged. Now I am at 5.7cc in a 10cc band and I have lost 25 lbs. It takes a lot of learning and adjusting to get this right. What I have learned from this process is to be patient, be your own advocate and hang in there. We all did this because nothing else was working for us and I do believe for me this is going to work. Good luck to all of you. I'm down 25 and I have 40 to go.

I was banded 12/15/08 and was feeling much like the rest - no restriction and feeling hungry after the first week when the swelling went down. I hope I feel some restriction after my first fill Jan. 22. I definitely don't want to regain what I've lost on pre-op and since! I'm crossing my fingers that this will work for me.

Good luck all!