Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

San Diego

Just thought I'd start a thread for San Diego, even though it seems most of us are hooked up on the Yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SanDiegoBandsters/

If you are not a part of the San Diego Yahoo group, I highly recommend it. We meet once a month for a pot luck. We're a high energy positive group, and we always have lots of laughs when we're together. The experience level is from 2+ years banded, to newbies and everything in between, with at least two people at goal.

Hi Donali,

My name is Mary & I live in San Fernando Valley. Unfortunately too far to be able to come to your meetings.

I had a question: I was banded August 7th and had my first fill Sept 20th. Since being banded I have lost 22lbs (6 of which was after the fill).

I have not lost any weight for about 2 weeks. I have restriction and don't eat much so I don't know if I am obsessing about losing weight or I should be concerned?!

I know I have to be patient but can you give me some advice. I feel like even now with the band I am failing once again.

Am I unrealistic about expecting a loss every week? Talk some sense into me....please!

Mary:(

Hi Mary -

THE scale IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!! lol Seriously, it is not. It does not tell you anything about FAT or Water or MUSCLE.

It IS unrealistic to expect a loss every week. 22 pounds in 2 months and 2 weeks is a good average.

I know it is frustrating, but the band is for LIFE. This is not a diet, where you are looking at doing it for only a time until you can start eating "normally" again. This is FOREVER (God willing). :cool:

Everybody's body is unique. Some require time to "compact" after a drop in weight. Some require time to reset their thermostat. Some are just unbelievable stubborn in our Quest to lose weight, particularly as fast as possible!

I am not one of the "fast" losers. I do NOT "work" at it. I do not do any special diet, I do not do any special fitness program. I try to eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full, and move my body when I can. I figure if I live my life this way (which in my mind is "normal"), any weight I do lose is definitely gone forever, as long as I keep my band and my restriction, since I am not doing anything "special" to get to where I am.

I do try to choose nutritious meals when I am not dying to have something else. I am somewhat religious about drinking my gallon of Water a day. I am definitely prepared for this journey to take as long as it takes, and try to focus less on my weight and what I eat, and more on how I feel and doing things I think contribute to a healthy and balanced life style.

Unfortunately, working the band requires us to pay attention somewhat to the scale to help make our journeys as successful as possible.

This is my advice:

1. Weigh only once a week, on the same day, at the same time, on the same scale, totally nude. I recommend first thing in the morning after potty time, before you eat or drink anything. My weigh day is Monday mornings.

2. Do NOT drink with meals. Water load up to 15 minutes before a meal, spend no more than 30 minutes eating your meal, then wait an hour before drinking.

3. Try to drink 1/2 an ounce of water for every pound of body weight.

4. Get in enough Protein, eat solid foods. Avoid high calorie liquids - shakes, koolaid, lemonaid, ice cream, Starbucks frappacinos (my personal favorite - lol)

5. Eat your Protein first, then your complex carb/low glycemic index veggies, then your starches/treats.

6. Find a physical activity that you like that gives you "sneaky" exercise. Do it because you love the activity, not because it's "exercise". I like to walk the mall.

7. Eat when you are hungry. Do not wait until it is the "right" time. If you have a meal commitment, and are hungry prior, eat a little something to take the edge off.

8. Stop when you are full. Promise yourself that you will always eat when you are hungry, and stick to that promise. Eventually your body will start to believe you, and it will be easier to stop when you are full.

9. Try to eat at least 1000-1200 calories a day. The intent is not to starve ourselves. We do not want to go into starvation mode - the weight will eventually come off that way, but our metabolisms will slow down.

10. Don't forget to take measurements. You may see a loss in inches even when the scale is not budging.

If you are having no problems eating good solid foods, keeping your intake around 1200 calories a day, and following the drinking rules (no drinking with meals or for an hour after), but are hungry again before 4 hours have passed and you are not losing weight in a four week period, you probably need another fill.

Be honest with yourself about what you are eating. If you are living off of starch and sugar, you need to modify your eating patterns.

An average of 10 pounds a month is very good weight loss. Be sure to look at your averages - even though I have had many plateaus when I have not lost any weight for a month or more, my AVERAGE weight loss has never dropped below 1.5 pounds a week.

Good luck, and keep the faith!!

Hi Donali,

Thank you for the advise. I will read it over and over again until it is ingrained in my brain. I know this is a lifetime plan but I have always been an impatient person and sometimes it gets to me.

Thanks again,

Mary:)

Originally posted by BEBBLY

Hi Donali,

My name is Mary & I live in San Fernando Valley. Unfortunately too far to be able to come to your meetings.

I had a question: I was banded August 7th and had my first fill Sept 20th. Since being banded I have lost 22lbs (6 of which was after the fill).

I have not lost any weight for about 2 weeks. I have restriction and don't eat much so I don't know if I am obsessing about losing weight or I should be concerned?!

I know I have to be patient but can you give me some advice. I feel like even now with the band I am failing once again.

Am I unrealistic about expecting a loss every week? Talk some sense into me....please!

Mary:(

how much did you weigh before banding Mary?? Anyway, 22 lbs is a great loss. I am on plateaus all the time. The way I see it, when I am not loosing pounds I am loosing inches.. And Its true...

Hi Leo,

I visit your site everyday to see your progress.

I noticed that you have been on some long plateaus and it is encouraging to read that they do eventually end and you start losing again. I guess part of the problem is I read about your progress and wonder why your's is so much faster than mine.

I weighed 187 before banding. My goal is 135-138.

Mary

Originally posted by BEBBLY

Hi Leo,

I visit your site everyday to see your progress.

I noticed that you have been on some long plateaus and it is encouraging to read that they do eventually end and you start losing again. I guess part of the problem is I read about your progress and wonder why your's is so much faster than mine.

I weighed 187 before banding. My goal is 135-138.

Mary

First of all, your only 187 lbs. I started at 255 lbs. People tend to loose faster the heavier a person is. I bet once I reach 187 lbs my plateaus will last for 3 or 4 weeks.

Secondly Males tend to loose weight faster then females, we have more muscle mass and that is what burns fat.

A couple of things you could try out to jump start the loosing process again:

1) Drink a lot of Water, I have a sticky in the support forum that explains why that is really needed.

2) Do some excercise, but in no way deprive yourself of food. Just eat till you feel satisfied. And if you don't loose any weight then you might consider getting a fill.

But anyway, set a realistic date you want to be at your goal weight, I set mine for next year december. And then keep track of your progress. I am pretty sure that in about 1 year I will be able to slim down to 155lbs.

Hi Caroline!

Sorry I missed welcoming you on SanDiegoBandsters. I've been lazy there lately. I just find it much easier to use this board.

Anyway, congrats on your upcoming date, and looking forward to seeing you at a meeting soon! We are a great group of gals - our get togethers are always a riot, and everyone is very supportive and fun.

Best wishes -

No problems with the band itself. My port had always bothered me off and on, and then at the end of July I tore one of the port sutures by reaching for something just out of reach. My port then flipped, which was agonizing the first two weeks. After that it was bearable, but the discomfort was gradually increasing, so I had it surgically repaired 11/1.

It feels much better now, and is almost healed up, although the past couple of days it was weeping like mad. I took a picture for posterity's sake Friday, 11/14, and today it looks 100% better. Isn't the body an amazing thing?