Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am a 56 year old retired teacher. I have a bmi of 40 and need to lose 90 - 100 pounds. I have not been overweight my entire life--just the past 15 years. My sister and I are taking the lap band journey together. We have a diet class August 18th. They told us that we will probably be scheduled for surgery the week of August 29th.

When I had a stress test, the doctor said that I am not heavy enough for surgery. The x-ray technician who did my upper GI said the same thing. I guess my 5'5" height keeps me from looking so fat (242 pounds). People saying things like that makes me nervous about the surgery. I have had friends tell me not to have the surgery because it will ruin my life. I explain to them that this is not the same as gastric bypass and it is reversible. I know that people are trying to be concerned, but it does make me nervous. The surgeon who is going to do my surgery thinks that I will do just fine. When I see myself in a mirror, I know that I need to be banded!

I'll be honest--I am scared. I talked to a lady who had been banded for 2 months by my doctor. She said that it was the easiest thing she ever did. I know that I will be healthier after I lose weight. I just wish that I could fast forward my life to a day after my first fill. I just want to quit thinking about this and get it done. Did any of you bandsters have the same feelings?

Hi Showboatgirl,

Welcome !! Thats so cool that you and your sister are doing it together ;)

I have not been banded yet but feel exactly like you do, I wish I was past a fill and losing :) But you know what they say? Good things are worth waiting for.

HUGS !!!!

Wow! The sister thing is awesome! Welcome! I have been banded since January & I still meet opposition when people talk to me about being banded. You're right, there is a great misconception about the band being the same as the bypass. Hang in there! Only you know what is right for you! This was the best & the easiest thing I have ever done! Keep us posted! Best wishes! .....Jess :P

Guest Jennifer C.

I was 53 when I was banded in April . I've had no complications, and my surgery

went smoothly. I'm still in the process of getting the right band adjustment. My

life has not changed in the least. I'm the same as I was before the band, but I

know once my band is at it's sweet spot, I'll begin my gradual weight loss.

Go for it! You and your sis! You'll be on the losing side soon.

Jennifer

Hi Showboatgirl,

I know how you feel. My BMI is around 36 - 37 and my husband's is 39. I have 70 - 80lbs to lose. I decided to get the lap band because my weight is starting to affect my health and becasue I just want to feel better about myself. I will be banded on 9/9/05. My husband is going to do it too, a month ot two later though. Like you we appear heavy but "not heavy enough for surgery." After getting that response from a couple of people I decided to confide in only those who can be supportive. Eventually I may tell more people but I think this is a very personal decision and if you are not educated about the whole process and in this situation it may be too difficult for others to understand. I am sooooo scared and nervous too. The unknown freaks me out.

But I keep reminding myself of the reasons I decided to do this. That and I keep researching about it. I find most people are happy with it and do pretty well. So i'm giving it a shot. What can I lose? A few pounds and some money? Worst case scenario I have it taken out. Best case scenario - it'll turn out to be the best thing I ever did for myself. People who have lower BMIs (35-40) or who are 50-100lbs overweight have to deal with this injustice of "not qualifying for surgery." Because of that my mind keeps playing tricks on me - I keep thinkiing maybe I can do it on my own or maybe this is the easy way out. ( I can go on and on with all my doubts). But then realty sets in. When did losing 50 - 100lbs become easy?? What are the odds I will lose all that weight and keep it off. Who do you know who has?

Don't listen to anyone else. Do what your heart tells you to do.

Remember opinions are like a$$holes .....everyone has one.

Showboatgirl,

Don't let people steal your dream. I am 54, and my BMI was only 34. All I heard from friends and family was, "your not heavy, why are you doing this?"..... At 215#'s I didn't look as heavy as I felt. Both knees have been paritally replaced, clothes felt terrible, and I turned into a hermit! I made up my mind after seeing the seminar that the band was for me. It is a tool to use for weight loss. The years of yo-yo dieting was driving me nuts! Lose, 20 pounds, gain back 25...etc. Ya'll know the routine, I am sure. But, this is forever! I was banded on 7/20th, and have lost 15#'s....(2 weeks) I already feel wonderful, and it is only the beginning.

You make this decision for YOU, and I don't think you will be disapointed. If I hadn't done something, I would surely be out of control a year from now.

I am very happy and satisfied with my choice.

Good luck with you decision, and keep reading this forum, these ladies are awesome, and will not steer you wrong.

Blessings!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Tomorrow, we have the diet class. We see Dr. Nease Aug. 25 and are banded on Aug. 29. I am not scared to have the surgery, but am nervous about the post op diet weeks and then the first fill. My sister and I are both self pay. I got a claim denial from my insurance today for the stress test that I had. Can you believe that? They denied it because of the diagnosis of obesity. I am trying to get the diagnosis changed by my primary care physician. I really hadn't counted on another $3000+ to pay. That bit of news really upset me. The lap band is going to cost us more than we expected. But, it will be worth it when we lose the weight. The before and after pictures are great. Again, thanks for your good thoughts and encouraging words.