Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diabetes

hello, my insurance is going to start covering lap band after the first of the year, so i am counting the DAYS!! now, until i can start the process!

but i am curious, my general practioner, said that my diabetes will go away, i am not quite sure what he means.. and of course didnt ask when i was there, but one thing i have worried about is going too low on the blood sugar...

any experiences out there???

thanks

mike

Congrats on the insurance news!

Re: Diabetes. There are 2 types of diabetes - insulin dependent and non-insulin dependent. If you do not require insulin, but rather control your diabetes with a pill and/or diet, your diabetes may 'go away'...that is, a normal weight with a normal diet and exercise will control the sugars, and your pancreas will process your foods as with non-diabetics.. So the lap band will address the underlying cause of your abnormal sugars.

I have or had type 2 diabetes before the lap band. I had tried byeta and januvia and did not have great reactions to these 2 drugs. I then got banded mainly because I had this and high blood pressure and high cholestrol. Almost immediately after being banded my blood sugars evened out and now my doctor said I am better and that I don't need to test my blood but maybe once or twice a week. I have only lost 25 lbs but it did make a huge difference. I would like to lose about 40 more lbs. I told my doctor that she should recommend lap band to her patients who really what a cure for the type 2. My little dog has diabetes and he gets insulin shots twice a day. I love him to death and wish I could find a cure for his condition as well. I' m very happy that you have decided to get the band. You will feel such a sense of relief not to worry about the diabetes anymore.

Dont expect to much to soon though. I dnt want to be aa downer but I also have type 2 and out of the 3 meds I take I have only benn able to get rid of one so far. I am hoping it "goes away"

Weight loss surgery has been shown to help with type 2 diabetes. I'm not sure if it has an impact on type 1 diabetes or not.

The band forces you to eat less, reducing your body's need for insulin. Losing weight in general also helps because your body doesn't need as much insulin.

I've read that gastric bypass (RNY or DS) can affect type 2 diabetes almost instantly. It has to do with the part of the intestine that they bypass. I think the DS has a bigger impact than the RNY.

Talk with your endocrinologist, your PCP, and your surgeons about the different surgical options and what your goals are around weight loss and controlling your diabetes.

Congrats on the insurance coverage!

Thanks, i will ask at the seminar, i am going to on the 9th, and i didnt mention, i am type 2 for a little over 3 years now, first year i did real good lost about 80 pounds, but when i quit smoking i gained the weight back, but now i am over those hurdles, so looking forward the the lap band, and hope that it does control my diabetes better, i take 6 pills a day, and about 70 units of lantis a day, that is the one i am hoping to get off of the most..

thanks

mike

I'm glad you're able to get in to a seminar so soon! Let us know how it goes and keep us updated on your progress toward the surgery! :biggrin:

I also have or should I say had TypeII and took three pills per day to control my blood sugar. I was also taking Diovan for my high blood pressure. I have NOT had to take any meds for the last week and a half. I test my blood once a day and also my BP. Both are normal for the first time in TEN years!!