Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night of the Rib

Hi Guy's:

Been out of touch for the past couple of weeks but there hasn't been too much to report. However, I got my second fill last Tuesday. My weight loss had stalled, I was getting hungry. My doctor put in 2 cc's and had me sit up and drink some Water. I started to gag so she took out 1/2 cc. She said that was as aggressive as she wanted to get. She told me to call her if the band is too tight.

I now have 7cc of my 14cc (large) band filled. I noticed an mediate change in my ability to consume food. I'm already down 3 lbs. in the last few days. Things were going pretty well until last night. We had some friends over and I made my famous barbecued ribs. I had a little wine, sat down to eat. Without thinking I took one of my old big bites of rib, half chewed it and swallowed. Well, as you can imagine, I spent the next half hour in the bathroom upchucking that bite of rib. I couldn't get it up and was totally blocked. Feeling pretty miserable I got the number of the emergency room at the hospital. As I was dialing, the piece finally went down.

Talk about a wake up call, I sure don't want to go though that again. Any other war stories?

The whole notion of eating while doing something else can lull me into a state of unconscious habits. These old habits, which are very familiar rise up and find no prohibitions from the plate to my mouth until that food hits the band. Shame, fear, frustration ,pain, loss of power. Here's the visual, walking around hands and arms in the air above my head as I try to stretch my food canal (behind closed doors), inhaling and exhailing trying to move the lump, getting relief on the inhale and feeling the pressure of it on the exhale, nose running, eyes watering, mouth open, looking at the toilet bowl for relief, vowing that "I will not hurl!", praying I have the courage to hurl and then without any power over it the food passes. That'll happen twice a month if I am eating and driving or at a desk and "tasking". I learn from each time. That old comfort I got from "stuffing" myself is not available anymore. It just ain't, except with soft dough Cookies and hot coffee and there's another price to pay for that...poundage! If my habits were easy to change, I wouldn't be banded, but like the rest of you all at least I found the good sense and courage to make this step. The others will follow. Banded in 2006 , down 43 pounds, adjusted twice.

Been there too.

I actually prefer to eat alone these days, because I can eat slowly and carefully. I find I can eat almost anything if I am alone.

Question though. You have been banded for 2 plus years. Why is the weight loss so low. 46 lbs isn't much - especially for a guy.

Just interested. Not my intention to offend.

Cheers

DBK

I haven't been compliant! No secret. Sweets, pastry, inconsistant exercise and a delay in my first banding has kept me from the 1lb plus per week weightloss. Even so since my second banding I have lost and am more online with the the full plan needed to make this work. :wink_smile:

I myself am a BBQ Cook that is on the BBQ trail in the Spiring and summer and fall and after being banded now I am sure I am going to have my wife do most of the tasting before turning in to the judging tents now. At these contest we cook Brisket, pork shoulder, Ribs and chicken the 4 main BBQ meats. I have one BBQ friend I know that has been banded for some time now and he only has trouble with Pork Shoulder as it tends to be stringy. I am sure Ribs if you don't get them chewed will be a SOB also. The chicken we and most of the cooks use is thigh meat so it's not so bad more juicy. Oh boy and Brisket when BBQed just right man there is nothing better tender and juicy. oh crap

Did I tell you guys that a year ago I was 397lbs and today I am 285lbs.

Good luck to all :yikes:

:(

I myself am a BBQ Cook that is on the BBQ trail in the Spiring and summer and fall and after being banded now I am sure I am going to have my wife do most of the tasting before turning in to the judging tents now. At these contest we cook Brisket, pork shoulder, Ribs and chicken the 4 main BBQ meats. I have one BBQ friend I know that has been banded for some time now and he only has trouble with Pork Shoulder as it tends to be stringy. I am sure Ribs if you don't get them chewed will be a SOB also. The chicken we and most of the cooks use is thigh meat so it's not so bad more juicy. Oh boy and Brisket when BBQed just right man there is nothing better tender and juicy. oh crap

Did I tell you guys that a year ago I was 397lbs and today I am 285lbs.

Good luck to all :)

BBQ!!!:eek: If you need another taster, I'll be more than happy to help!

Way to go on your weightloss!:)

:(

BBQ!!!:eek: If you need another taster, I'll be more than happy to help!

Way to go on your weightloss!:)

I myself don't get up in your area but I have friends with teams in your area. I think this forum has a PM area Private mesage deal and I am sure I can hook you up in your area. The BBQ world are a great group of friends. I will see a few of then in Nashville next weekend for the KCBS awards Banquete and only one of these people know I am banded. This will be a trick. I am sure I can pull it off.

By the way you are doing great with your loss keep it up. The goals are insite. I set short term goals every 77 days sounds weird. almost everything I do is based on 7's Good luck.:)

See this is the information that is essential in understanding what dealing with the lap band is actually like....

thanks for posting this kind of info. I'm planning on the lap band spring of 2010...I have to wait a year because I need a years worth of dr's visits...

Your event with the rib reminds me sometimes when I drink alcohol I'll get severe stomach pains and start sweating and pretty much want to curl up in a ball and die..good job with your weightloss sucess....I hope to be there with you guys next year.

Current weight: 330lbs Goal:190-200lbs