Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oooops! Stretched pouch

I was on full liquids including cream Soups, broth protien shakes, etc. I recommend having your doc check your pouch with a barium swallow to see how it looks.

Priscilla- I wasnt smart, I got lucky! I went to my doc thinking I needed a fill and it was caught in time.

Gingerbug- What size band do you have and how much fill did you have in at the time this happened? Thanks!

Gingerbug- What size band do you have and how much fill did you have in at the time this happened? Thanks!

10cc and I currently have 6.7 in my band and have been at this level for several weeks. I think since october, actually. I have never had them take it out to check but 6.7 is my tally so far. We tried once to go .5 cc higher than that and nothing would go down so this is it. I think I have an AP large 10cc band, does that sound right? I am not sure if AP large is the correct term but I know for sure it iss a 10cc.

Thanks for the reply. I have the Allergan "lapband" standard size, which is 10cc. The large size is 14cc. It's intersting that we're at about the same fill level. I am having similar problems. It feels like my restriction is getting less and less and that I can eat more and more! I was worried that I may have stretched my pouch. I had planned on doing full liquids for a few days to see if this would help, and your post helped confirm it! I have a regular follow-up with my Dr. in one week, so I think I'll try and see if it helps. After all, as long as I get my Protein in, it certainly will not hurt!

I had a scary case of getting a fill and ending up too tight because I thought I needed a fill also. I ended up with a slight unfill after not being able to keep down my own spit. It appears after reading this post, maybe I was slightly stretched also. I was eating plenty, albeit less than before the band, but thought it was still too much and a little fill would help. I was forced onto nothing for two days and then just liquids for the past 2 days, and when trying to eat something today, it took all of 8 bites to be full. I was dumbfounded!! I was looking at all of this food on my plate, thinking holy hell, I didn't eat anything yet!! My husband was kind of bent because we went out to lunch and I didn't really eat anything. (Paid for a meal that didn't get eaten) Then on top of it I got hiccups as usual while eating, my personal sign to STOP EATING (he was so embarrased, they were really loud. I'm laughing like crazy and he's thinking I'm nuts!! Hopefully this feeling of restriction will last forever!!!

Hi All,

I am new to LBT and am posting for the first time. My question to you is what do you drink when you are on liquids for a stretched pouch? Do you start with clears and then move on to full liquids? I need to get my restriction back and will try this before I see my surgeon for my fill appointment next week. Thanks

Hi All,

I am new to LBT and am posting for the first time. My question to you is what do you drink when you are on liquids for a stretched pouch? Do you start with clears and then move on to full liquids? I need to get my restriction back and will try this before I see my surgeon for my fill appointment next week. Thanks

Full liquids the whole time. If I could puree it to the consistency of cream Soup, I could have it. I have to say, some things are better left un-puree'd. Just sayin' :thumbup:

So you are saying that anything you can puree will be ok to do while going on liquids for a streched pouch? I was reading and when I read the post about the bra feeling uncomfortable, I knew why I have been really hungry, can eat a LOT at one time, and only get hung up every blue moon or so.. I am going full liquids for a while, haven't had a fill in a year, but have 3.2 in a 4cc Inamed and want to control this thing without running for a fill all the time. How long should it take for your pouch to stretch, cause all this eating makes my back hurt between y shoulder blades and is quite worrisome....MIZBOO

Well I went in for a visit and a fill today, first time in a year. I'm getting worried because I've been gaining weight and eating badly. Found out that I too had stretched my pouch. The nurse showed me on the xray both how stretched I was and how much inflammation. I'm glad I went in but I'm not at all excited about 2 weeks of liquids. I'm glad to know that someone else had their pouch shrink in just 6 days. My doc's office does a total unfil and then two weeks liquids when this happens. The good news is that once this is over and I get refilled it'll go back to the good restriction I used to have. Then I can get back on track and get the rest of this weight off.

I'm sure glad I went in though. I hate to think how long this has been goign on.

Britt

I'm coming to you and hoping that you can help me out and give me your opinion.

As you can see by my stats below in the last 5 months I have really done pretty well. I am NOT complaining about my progress at all. My concern is that although I usually don't eat any more than 1 1/2 cups of food I am worried about having a stretched pouch. I have in the past month or so eaten pizza and I am shocked by how much I can eat. I know I shouldn't eat it and I usually do VERY WELL by today I ate about half of a red barron thin crust pizza. That shouldn't happen. I can feel that I ate too much, but not like I felt in the begining.

I don't get hungry too often. Every 4-5 hours. I eat 3 meals a day and rarely have a snack. My biggest problem has been Constipation, but being able to eat this much without much fight from my band worries me.

I thought I just needed a fill to help me get full faster, but after eating so much I am wondering if that isn't the problem.

Please give me your feedback.

I'm coming to you and hoping that you can help me out and give me your opinion.

As you can see by my stats below in the last 5 months I have really done pretty well. I am NOT complaining about my progress at all. My concern is that although I usually don't eat any more than 1 1/2 cups of food I am worried about having a stretched pouch. I have in the past month or so eaten pizza and I am shocked by how much I can eat. I know I shouldn't eat it and I usually do VERY WELL by today I ate about half of a red barron thin crust pizza. That shouldn't happen. I can feel that I ate too much, but not like I felt in the begining.

I don't get hungry too often. Every 4-5 hours. I eat 3 meals a day and rarely have a snack. My biggest problem has been Constipation, but being able to eat this much without much fight from my band worries me.

I thought I just needed a fill to help me get full faster, but after eating so much I am wondering if that isn't the problem.

Please give me your feedback.

I always try to say this when people ask me about this- you doc will give you the best info, not me. BUT, since you ask for my opinion I will gladly give it. To be honest, pizza did me in for the stretched pouch, I am serious. I was going to just take a nibble at chuck e cheese and I was shocked how much I ended up eating. sigh. If you are wondering if your pouch is stretched, you could try a full liquid diet for 4 or so days and then have solids again. If you get your restriction back then you have your answer. I was FLOORED how tight my restriction got after 6 days of liquids and I was only stretched double the size it should have been. I wa smilitant about the size/weight of my food after that. I went in for an unfil recently to start maintaining and my pouch was still nice and tight under flouro. As far as constipation, I have citrucel three times a day and I am good to go and I have IBS with constipation and am miserable without it!

Edited by gingerbug

Thanks Gingerbug,

I bought some Protein Shakes and I will try fluids for the next 4 days. After that I am at a conference. I don't know how to explain a liquid diet there. Besides I lost 75lbs since these people saw me last. I don't want them to think I did it on a liquid diet. That just would give them a healthy idea of my weight loss!

I'll let you know how it goes!

I just wanted to add my story with this as well. I am banded and I also work for the weight loss center where I got my band. For me I knew I had a stretch when I would wake up with heart burn every morning and also we just couldn't get my fill level exact, I was either too tight or too lose. If anyone is having heart burn issues you should definately have a barrium just for peace of mind. Also yes you can eat larger portions because the stomach is holding more. I had a very slight stretch but our surgeon believes in taking out all the Fluid for four weeks. It has been a nightmare for me and I am gaining weight, I don't have to be on liquids but I almost wish he told me I did so I would stop gaining! Anyway, I just wanted to share and also just put it out there that I think anyone who is struggling should always have a barrium just to rule out any problems. Better safe than sorry.