Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help - in pain - am i stuck?

i'm close to a month post op, surgery was 11/21. i've been fine up until about an hour ago. today i ate -

12pm

1/2 deviled egg, maybe 1 tbsp potato salad, and a little bit of fresh mozzerella cheese

4pm

egg salad made from 1 egg, 1 egg white and 6 ritz crackers.

i walked in to the supermarket at about 7pm, and started to feel what i thought was really bad gas pains. then my mouth started salivating really bad and i got naseous. got to my car, was spitting a lot, thought i was going to throw up - i dry heaved once but nothing came out. i havent dry heaved again, but i have a very bad pain in my chest, right at the top of my rib cage - like really horrible gas. I'm burping a lot, not spitting like i was at first.

i'm very careful about eating slowly and chewing a lot, because i HATE throwing up more than anything in this world, so i really want to do all that i can to avoid becoming stuck. did i just get stuck?

the pain is starting to subside just a little bit, still tight. please help :shades_smile::confused:

Yes, you are stuck and it sounds like you've been sliming (the extra spit). If I had to guess, I'd say it was because of the ritz crackers. Try using a heating pad to relieve the pain for now.

I've noticed that I get that pain in my chest if I eat too quickly, even if I've taken small bites and chewed really well. Slowing down gives my body time to tell me it's full.

I've had ritz crackers almost every day since i've been able to start soft foods though. i dont know if maybe i ate my 2nd meal too fast - but if i was stuck wouldnt i have felt it almost right away, or can it happen hours later?

the pain is moving down now. its not longer at the top of my rib cage, its more around my belly. i'm burping a lot, still spitting a little bit. and i dont have a heating pad :shades_smile:

Sorry hon! I totally know what you are going thru-- it happenned to me last night... I ate 1 bite too many and didn't chew good enough. My band straight up slapped me in my face. The couple of times this has happenned I try to just breath really slow and concentrate on NOT have dry heave/burping. Kind of like if you drink too much and have the spins when you lay down....

The spitting and dry heave---horrible. The feeling of pain and impending throw up- even worse. Unfortunately, it is a suffer thru it situation in my opinion. I am by no means an experienced bandster but now you know that one of those things are not good to eat. You may have ate too quickly, not chewed enough, or something just didn't sit right. I cannot eat any kind of egg but over easy eggs and it has to be lunch time or later. For some reason now (after 4th fill) if it has mayo or cream like dressing I slime. Bananas or yogurt-- not good-to thick or something.

If you think you're eating slow- eating 2x slower. You'll get thru this!

I was just banded on November 19 & luckily have not had anything like this happen. My question to anyone is does this kind of thing usuallly not happen right after you eat?? If I read this right it had been several hours since she had eaten.

Thank God it's over. That was by far and away one of the WORST things i've ever experienced in my entire life.

I started dry heaving REALLY bad, and that was after a lot of spitting and burping. The spitting and burping werent bad, but once the feeling of impending "need to throw up" came - I was a pile of whining, crying, praying mess on the floor. It happened a few times, the worst being for almost an hour. Thankfully now its over, but I feel like I've been hit by a bus and then forced to run a marathon. I called my surgeons office expecting to leave a voice mail, but they have 24 hour coverage, and I was able to speak to the doctor on call. He was like "oh sweetie you should have called me earlier, I could have talked you through it." I was like, um, yeah I couldnt talk, and I'm pretty sure you wouldntve been able to understand my whining/praying/cursing language that I seemed to have made up. Anyhoo, he wants me to come in first thing in the morning.

Thank you for all the tips. The only thing I can think of that happened is that I didnt chew well enough, or ate too fast. I'm still really curious as to why it took 3 hours for the symptoms to start, and I'm going to ask the doctor tomorrow if that's common. I would have thought that if something was stuck, one would know RIGHT away. God I hope this never happens again! I was supposed to start solid food on Friday, but now I don't know. I still <3 my Band though. Just gotta learn to play by it's rules!!