Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss and bathing

did you have hair loss after surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. did you have hair loss after surgery?

• yes, right away and lots
    • yes, right away and a little
    • yes, but not til later, but lots
    • yes, but not til later, and just a little
    • no, my hair stayed on my head!

i'm starting to wonder about some (less important) logistics.

1) how long after the surgery did you have to wait to take a shower/bath?

2) how common is Hair loss? i'm planning on donating my long hair to locks of love, and i'm trying to decide if i should do that before surgery.

i'm sure i'll think of more later, but that's all for now.

Do it before surgery. Really it was 4 months when I lost most of mine but if you're going to do it, your hair will be its healthiest before your surgery. Just the shock of your surgery can affect the quality of your hair.

Won't you look all transformed!?

It's a lovely gift, btw. Some little girl (and usually it's teen girls who what long hair) will be happy for your gift.

Whoa!

LapBand surgery causes Hair loss? ?

I didn't get that memo! :thumbup:

Shelly

Whoa!

LapBand surgery causes hair loss??

I didn't get that memo! :thumbup:

Shelly

i've heard several people mention it, but i'm not sure how common it is, thus the post. it seems most people have been told its a Protein thing (not eating enough of it), but i've also heard that it can be caused by hormonal changes from quick fat loss.

Oh geez!!

That's all I need.

Okay, looking for the positive here.....

when it grows back is it rich and luxurious and ooh-la-la?!

:smile2:

Cuz that would work for me!!!

I started losing my hair during the liquid pre-op diet. I am still losing it too. I track my Protein daily and I am consuming enough, so I am not sure why my hair keeps coming out.

I have thick hair and plenty of it, so no one can tell.

I was abe to shower on day three post op. That is the day I came home from the hospital.

I showered the next morning while I was still at the hospital and no problems. Was told not to take a bath for a few weeks. I haven't really noticed Hair loss, I was banded on 12/09/08. I am doing great and getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. Weight loss so far-15 lbs. Think this is the best decision I could have made.

WOW! WTG Punkin!!

Great job! Sounds like you're sailing through it!

:shades_smile:

TQUAD~ You're lucky to have thick hair. Mine is baby fine and if I were to lose any, it would be quite obvious. :confused:

I don't wash my hair every day now. I wash it on every third day. I use a flat Iron on it with leave in condition.

This helps with less of it ending up in the shower in clumps. You would think I was having radiation treatment the way it falls out in the shower.

I was able to shower right after I got home. Dermabond was used on the incision area, so showering & blotting with a towel was fine.

I had my surgery December 1st & had heard the same thing about Hair loss. I haven't experienced any loss yet, but heard it could happen immediately or 4-5 months after. The reasons varied from the shock of the surgery on the body, rapid weight loss or lack of proper Protein intake & etc... A Vitamin called Biotin was suggested as well as Zinc so last week I started taking a bit of both & make sure to get enough protein.

I hope that helped & kudos on donating your hair.< /p>

Hey Nibbit, I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you. How long are you planning on it taking? Thanks! Cara KC

Hi Cara,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've been on vacation. I am hoping to toast to success next New Year's Eve. I'm hoping for sooner, but I know the really stubborn weight is going to take a while. I look forward to my first fill on Friday (01/09/09) and getting the ok from the doctor to start exercising hard (shoveling show & etc...!). Keep in touch & let me know how you are doing. Terri (AKA Nibblet...it sounded funny at the time I was registering!)

Edited by Nibblet

Thats interesting to hear b/c I thought it was only associated with the gastric? One of the nurses at my doctors office had the gastric and she says she has lost almost all of her hair and has to wear a wig, but says she'd rather be skinny then have hair so I applaud her optimism but now i'm more concerned than ever b/c although I have thick hair.....it has always fallen out since I was a kid and now to think surgery might worsen the the problem!! YIKES! :thumbs_up:

I will def. talk to my doctor about it and see what I can do to stop this! Thanks for the post.

I lost half my hair. It started at 4 months and didn't stop until one year post op. Every time I took a shower, I lost handfuls.

There are so many threads about this, and it really has nothing to do with Protein or Vitamins. I tried every supplement and Vitamin known to man kind, and I tracked my Protein and got plenty of it. It stops when it wants to. Some people are lucky and don't lose any, or don't lose much. Others are like me, and wonder when it's going to stop. It's an individual thing. Luckily, I have thick hair too.

You can do a thread search up at the top of the board and read tons of information on this subject.

I lost half my hair. It started at 4 months and didn't stop until one year post op. Every time I took a shower, I lost handfuls.

There are so many threads about this, and it really has nothing to do with Protein or Vitamins. I tried every supplement and Vitamin known to man kind, and I tracked my Protein and got plenty of it. It stops when it wants to. Some people are lucky and don't lose any, or don't lose much. Others are like me, and wonder when it's going to stop. It's an individual thing. Luckily, I have thick hair too.

You can do a thread search up at the top of the board and read tons of information on this subject.

It is getting worse for me. With in the last 4-weeks at the same time I started to incorporate jogging into my workout, I started losing clumps of hair in the shower.

It is so bad that I wash my hair every third day now, so I don't go bald. But it doesn't stop there, because during the day hair just keeps falling out.

Next Thursday I see my PC doctor. I am going to have him increase my thyroid meds up just a little, especially in-light of my joint pain and my tiredness all of a sudden. I have been on thyroids meds since 2001 and only had to adjust my meds once, because I exhibited all the same symptoms from above. Just by increasing the meds very slightly, the symptoms disappeared. So I am hoping for the same results.