Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday Goodies and the Band???

So the Holiday Goodies are coming out and more so at work then anywhere else. First was the chocolates and candies. Now there is the susages with cheeses. Soon there is the company Christmas party. How are you handling this? Not in weather your eating these treats or not but in the fact of emotionally handling NOT eating these.

Today when I came into work there was the suasage and cheese blocks sitting out in the kitchen here. This is one of my huge favorites during the holidays. It's really the first time that I missed actually having something that others are having. I just am constantly reminding myself of what I am doing and how much better I will feel in a few months/years when I have lost the weight. I am still in the full liquids phase according to my surgeons orders so even getting some suasage and cheese to mush up isn't going to work. Well no worries. So what am I doing to avoid temptation? Easy! The band. I am so scared of getting something caught in my throat and PBing that I am not willing to take the chance. Maybe next week when I am on mushies I can have some for a small lunch. LOL We will see.

Good one, I haven’t given it much thought cause I’m not thinking of food like that, for now my brain is set on food is fuel..

Yeah I wanted to smack my husband while he ate a BigMac & fries and I sipped on broth but in the long run I felt better that I know I physically can’t eat it and really don’t want it, I went through all this for a reason and after I’m healed a kids meal or a bite of mac will be all I need..

I have to say I really am amazed at the foods that I have had no problems with. This was the first thing that I have missed. Even the steak my wife has had as well as other foods just have not bothered me one bit. But the sausage and cheese for some reason has teased me. LOL I know it's all in my head. But hey I am getting through it as I know this will be easier and easier as time goes on.

Just remember that you can always have it LATER. I am 6 months out and can eat stuff like that. I remember eating so much yummy but evil stuff in vast quantities before I would stop. I was always looking for more, even when I was not hungry. now I eat a normal amount, then lose interest, it is great! Hang in there, good job!

Sorry but sausage and cheese is usually not on the mushy list. I had my surgery during the holidays a couple of years ago, so I can relate.

A year from now, you will have lost a bunch of weight, and a little bit of sausage and cheese will be no big deal.

I am personally sick of all the junk food everywhere. I know it's a tradition, but even all the people who didn't have WLS don't need fudge, candy, Cookies, etc constantly everywhere they go.

I have a real sweet tooth and it's very hard for me to look the other way at work when I have to go into the

room where we make our copies and look at the counter filled with junk.

I was banded 9 December 3 years ago (huh, I just realised I missed my third bandiversary) and I faced this same issue. The newness of my band, the liquid regime I was on and my excitement at what I hoped to achieve were enough for me not to miss the Christmas goodies in the slightest that year.

I had a whole year to adjust to banded life and I was able to simply enjoy what was on offer in very limited quanity the following year.

By the third Christmas, I was at goal and the same deal - enjoy what's on offer in limited quantity, the same will apply this year.

YOu honestly do lose that paranoia/urgency that you must eat as much as you can shovel down as fast as possible and not miss a single one of those goodies over time. You do become able to have one or two things and then stop at that.

That first year, I had my Christmas dinner mushed up with gravy in the blender, a scant half cup or so of it. I was on mushies by then. And I had a teeny tiny piece of plum pudding, which is pretty mushy, with some brandy custard. As good a Christmas dinner as I've ever had. A glass or two of wine during the entire day and I was more than happy. Best Christmas I ever had in fact because I wasnt sleepy and full and I wasnt 4kg heavier next day!