Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four Mistakes I Made This Year

I’m all for celebrating successes, for relishing what’s working, for gargling the fine wine of glorious triumph.

Don’t let me stop you frolicking in the Yes’s. (In fact, I’d encourage you to do it even more than you’re doing now.)

But there’s wisdom in the No’s, in the “whoops”, in the “dang it … I fell for that again” as well.

Here are four mistakes that I made this year … and what I’ve been learning along the way.

1. Placing exercise on the back burner

I have been so busy building a business, working with clients and planning conferences; I placed my “Fitness” regimen on the back burner. I am enjoying all the new opportunities, the new clients I’m coaching, planning the National LAP-BAND Conferences.

Throughout all of this I was sluggish, worn out and just plain tired. Then it hit me I haven’t been working out. I remembered back to when I was working out regularly how energized I was.

So I made the commitment to exercise back in September and to my delight lost 20 pounds, I’m full of energy and my creative process is back in full force.

Have you placed your exercise regimen on the back burner? What can you do to make it a priority?

1. Making up stories of why not

Time and time again, my courage has failed me; this is what happens. I want to do something bold. And then immediately, like an old fashioned ticker-tape, I get a steady streaming message of reasons why I shouldn’t, why there are other easier things to do, why it wouldn’t work anyway.

When I’ve wimped out and not done it … nothing bad happened and nothing spectacular did either. When I summoned my courage, took a breath and stepped into the unknown and made the bold request … sometimes nothing happened and sometimes, fantastically, something did.

What’s the story you’ve got going on about what you can’t do?

1. Forgetting to eat

Trust me this is a new concept for me, I’ve never forgotten to eat in my life. I have my Protein Shake in the morning with my 20 oz glass of Water, do my work out then go into my office and start working.

I’m coaching with clients, exchanging emails with colleagues, booking guest for “The Band Banter” Talk Show and the list goes on and on.

Then I get this ginormous headache about three in the afternoon and it dawns on my I have not had anything to eat since seven in the morning. food is fuel; it’s what keeps us going. I now set my alarm at noon so I can take a break to eat. I know that sounds crazy, it’s crazy to me. We have to “Eat to Live; not Live to Eat”.

Have you started skipping meals? What can you do to ensure you get daily nourishment?

1. Stopped breathing

Busy! This year’s been crazy-busy. I like to think that I’m not one to think that busy is some sort of perverse badge of honor, some mark of “look how important I am”, I’ve barely got time to put on makeup.

Except, I get seduced by that story of Busy = Important too. And as I’ve rushed here and there, worked on weekends, stretched myself thin, I’ve noticed this: The faster I run, the less I breathe.

When I remember to take a breath, when I stop thinking this is All Very Very Important, things get a little calmer, a little less stressful, a little easier.

What have you promoted to Extremely Important? How much value do you place in being Busy?

What mistakes did you make in 2008?

Let me know in the comment section of this post.

I’d love to hear what you’ve been learning!

I've gotten lazy with my exercise.

By lazy I dont mean that I've stopped doing it or cut back. I mean I've not gotten out of my comfort zone. i love running so have been doing lots of long slow runs. Running 10k in 75 minutes is easy stuff for me, like walking would be to someone else. Its pleasant.

But I cant expect to continue to improve without putting in effort, so I've gone back to interval training. Cover the same distance but with bursts of hugely intense sprints etc. Burns tons more calories, way more afterburn and a much better runner's high. And my body is showing its appreciation, inches slipping away again, even though I was already at goal.

Very inspirational, thank you. I am going to get myself back on track.:smile2:

I did not follow the low-carb diet my doctor recommended. I have control of how much I eat, but I want to work and make sure I am eating the correct things. Through the natural process of the band,:thumbup: many things I have been forced to give up. Some things I still can eat a small amount of. I am determined to get back on my workout program.:smile:

I have not follow through with my diet and exercise. I work myself up in the evening with self talk about how I can do this and dont follow through.....I am making a commitment to myself today to go on a walk. Keep you fingers crossed for me!

Yes, EXERCISE is definately it. I actually just joined LA fitness yesterday. I want to swim. I used to be a competition swimmer when I was a teenager and I would like to be able to swim with the endurance I used to have. Not necessarily the speed at 42 but the endurance. My doctor cleared me to swim about 2 weeks ago at my first fill and I needed to get through Christmas. Merry Christmas to me and Happy New Year!! Now the issue is that I do not now where the bathing suit I bought and never wore last summer is. I would also like to do pilates, and yoga. I have Multiple Sclerosis and these exercises work when I am sick and when I am not. NOW if I could only get consistent and make it a way of life.....

Hi, I am new to this forum as of tonight however, really enjoyed reading everything you posted. You seem very positive....like myself. I was encouraged to excercise more as well, HOWEVER, I am three days into my Pre diet and today...whoa...!!! I biked for 35 min. then came home did some "quote unquote" spring cleaning....which to me is really funny I feel like I am nesting....anywho then helped my husband clean our garage...I am really weak today. Well of course after tackling all that I felt like I was going to pass out. Anywho very nice to see someone successful at this and reminding your own self, no matter how busy we are we need time to take care of us. :)

Thank you soo much for posting this message. It is very encouraging and helpful.. I have been so tired here lately but I vow to go home and work out. I know I can do it! Thanks again you are an Angel sent for me today.