Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Op. Ow. Ow. Ow I'm DYING.

My husband and I BOTH got banded on Monday Dec. 8th.

All I can say is OWWW. The first night we spent in the hospital, and it was painful but we were medicated... now it's just unbearable.

Now all we have is Tylenol with Codiene which barely touches the pain. My husband has debilitating nausea and gas pains. My stomach and incisions are the worst. I can barely stand or sit. We go on walks despite the pain, but it literally makes it all WORSE. I went to work the day after the surgery, so I have been pretty "active". My husband has been sitting around a lot, walking just with me. I went for a walk today and it actually INDUCED gas pains that I didn't even feel until then.

Drinking isn't really a problem. Sometimes I drink a little to much and it hurts.

The other most painful thing I've ever felt is the hunger pangs. It's like a regular hunger pang times ten that never goes away. It hurts SO bad.

How long do these symptoms take to go away!!!???? Also, are the incisions supposed to itch so much?

I was actually doing really well until tonight when I went to my neices recital. Afterwards I could barely make it home where I guzzled two teaspoons of medicine. :wink2::sleep::angry::mad2::crying:

I was banded yesterday. Today I started to get the gas pains. When I came home from the hospital I laided on a heating pad. Seemed to get rid of some of the gas pains and I actually stated to pass gas rectally (TMI).

Good luck. I am very surprised your doctor did not give you stronger pain meds for home. Mine sent me home with a script for liquid lortab and phenergan. You need to call your surgeon before you husband starts throwing up and his band slips. yuck! I feel for you and your pain. I hope you get some help.

If you're experiencing surgical trauma pain, you should contact your surgeon and requests some pain meds. For the gas pains many recommend the Gas X strips that melt in your mouth. Walking and keeping active is one of the best ways to alleviate the gas pain. As far as hunger... that will get better with time but you just have to be strong.

It's great that you are both banded because you will be able to inspire each other and share your experiences first hand.

Good luck and get your DH moving!

Brad

Edited by bambam31
error...

My doctor sent me home on hydrocodone/apap...I took it once because the taste wasn't worth it to me... :wink2:. I'm a pretty big baby when it comes to pain, but for me it just felt like I did a whole lot of crunches. I took the Gas X Strips for gas and never really had any gas pains. My surgeon also sent me home with Reglan (anti nausea med) and I had to take that a few times, but I think you should call your surgeon and explain to him how you are feeling. Maybe you're doing a little too much...I was down for a good 5-7 days before I was back to my normal routine. My incisions were pretty numb for the first few days...I think the 3rd day was my worst day, but the rewards for this are so worth it!!! Good luck and seriously...call your surgeon! :crying:

I was banded on Monday too. I'm very surprised you were back at work so soon. I've been really lucky cos the only discomfort i've had is in my shoulder. I went to the shops today and my larger incision was sore for the first time. Once home from hospital I just took paracetmol and so far today I haven't had anything. Good luck to both of you i hope you feel better soon

I was banded 12-08-2008 as well. I'm a lot older than you but maybe you are trying to do too much. I don't believe I could have returned to work so soon. I am going to be off a week. I have had a lot of problems with gas pains in my left shoulder which is awful and have staples in the port sites. I think they will feel better when the staples are removed. I hope you can rest this weekend and let your body adjust to all these major changes. Good luck on your journey!:wink2:

I had all the same pains you described..... it was awful!! I was banded on 12/4 and I did not feel better until yesterday! I dont know what happened but I woke up and most of the pain had gone away, Everyone told me to hang in there, it would get better, and it has... I did take Vicodin for pain 3 nights and helped! So make sure you take what the Dr. gives you..... I hope you both feel better soon!!

I had horrible gas pain, I COULD NOT PASS GAS the entire time I was in the hospital after surgery! I struggled with passing gas the whole week I was off of work after surgery---THE DAY I WENT BACK TO WORK (I'm a teacher) ALL OF MY GAS DISAPPEARED!!! It was WONDERFUL!!! So, everytime the hospital staff and my doctor would tell me to walk, walk, walk in order to alleviate gas, I always thought they meant a little walk here and there...but, at least for me, it took being on my feet for almost 5 hours at work in order to get rid of the gas.

My surgeon gave me liquid pain meds for home after surgery.... I took half the recommended dosage and I felt waaaay to sleepy, out of it, dizzy, almost too scared to fall asleep, I thought I was going to get too relaxed to breath, so be careful with those really strong pain meds.... I tried half a dosage first and I'm glad I did that...

Good luck to you and your husband!

I had alot of pain for 4 days. I took gas x strips alot and tylenol 3. Heating pad was my best friend. I had gas for at least a week. I was wodering why i paid someone to do this to me. 5 weeks later it's the best decision I ever made and the pain was worth it.

I am five days post op. Banded 12/10. I still have terrible gass pains= at least that is what I have decided this increadible tightness under my left breast area is. As soon as i take a sip of anything I am double over in pain. I have been out on errands and taken gas - x like there is no tomorrow and it still miserable. I really was under the assumption this surgery would be a walk in the park and I should be back to normal by now, but man do I still fell like crap and have to be at work tomorrow.

I was banded on Wed, Dec 11. The day of surgery and the next day was filled with pain and soreness. I have to tell you that I requested the PCA to be discontinued because I couldn't stay awake much less walk. I have only taken the Tylenol with Codeine 3 times since coming home. I do have a tightness around the sternal area of my chest but I have associated it with several things, drinking too much too fast, the need to void and or lying down right after consuming broth or the delicious clear Protein Drinks. I actually went out today to pick up a few sales items. I was lightheaded near the final hour and I left immediately. I will see my doctor on Wed and hope to return to work on Thurs. I only felt hungry today when out near folks with food.

Thank God I don't have staples, I have dermabond and my incision site look more like bad cat scratches. I think the sites will heal well as my hysterectomy and 3 c/s are barely noticable. Keep in touch and please contact your surgeon with any problems