Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on the Horizon & Questions

Hi All!

For the people who have already had surgery, can you answer these questions?

How long were you out of work?

Does the band get weird if you go swimming?

Did you have get shaved before surgery?

Did they let you leave your underwear and socks on?

Did the incisions hurt more than the port?

Does anyone know if there's limitations once we're healed? (I mean restriction of movement or extertion).

What happens if you fall or bump into something, is that reason to worry for slipage?

How sensitive is the band to movement?

Has anyone been banded and not have it filled during surgery? How long before the first fill?

We were told 10 prior to surgery, off all med's and supplements - did anyone experience heartburn? I've been off my prevacid/nexum and I have such a sour stomach - I can't understand how that can be good for surgery. I actually threw-up yesterday from the acid taste. This is probably the worst part of the pre-surgery instructions for me...

Thank you all for anwsering. Surgery for me is next week and this information will definatley put me a bit at ease....

I'm sorry I can't answer most questions but I do know this from having surgeries in the past:

Only if there is hair in the way.

They let me keep hospital booties on my feet but nothing else, no undies for sure.

I'm sure everything will go fine. Try to concentrate on other things in the mean while (I know its hard).

HUGS !!!!

Oh, the two surgeries I've had were c-section and a horrible appendectomy where they cut me from hip to hip.

:)

I will try to answer some of your questions...

My surgery was on a Wed, I was out that week and part days the next week, completely back the week after that, so in all I missed about 6 days.

Nope and I was in the lake all weekend...

Nope, and no wax either! LOL

No, completely naked except for footies.

No, the port incision was the worst and that was not that bad at all. The gas pains were the worst for me.

Does anyone know if there's limitations once we're healed?

No lifting for 4 weeks and of course be careful if you have a child at home not to life them.

(I mean restriction of movement or extertion).

What happens if you fall or bump into something, is that reason to worry for slipage?

No, they stitch the band into place, so they really want you to not throw up, but other than that, I don't think you should worry about falling.

Not very.

Has anyone been banded and not have it filled during surgery?

Most surgeons do not fill at all until 4-6 weeks out. They want you to heal properly before filling. That is not a time for weight loss, it is a time for healing. Any weightloss during that time is a bonus.

How long before the first fill?

A month for me.

Hope that helps, good luck!

How long were you out of work? 2 days (thurs & frid)

Does the band get weird if you go swimming? don't know yet, but don't see why!

Did you have get shaved before surgery? NO!

Did they let you leave your underwear and socks on? no

Did the incisions hurt more than the port? no

Does anyone know if there's limitations once we're healed? (I mean restriction of movement or extertion). there isn't

What happens if you fall or bump into something, is that reason to worry for slipage? don't think so...

How sensitive is the band to movement? It isn't, but there is a chance

Has anyone been banded and not have it filled during surgery? How long before the first fill? 4 weeks for me ( this thurs)

We were told 10 prior to surgery, off all med's and supplements - did anyone experience heartburn? I've been off my prevacid/nexum and I have such a sour stomach - I can't understand how that can be good for surgery. I actually threw-up yesterday from the acid taste. This is probably the worst part of the pre-surgery instructions for me... no heartburn here...

Jen

218/192/130

How long were you out of work? I'm a teacher, so I'm already out...

Does the band get weird if you go swimming? Can't swim yet, 3 days post-op

Did you have get shaved before surgery? NO

Did they let you leave your underwear and socks on? Only socks

Did the incisions hurt more than the port? Port incision hurts most, but gas pains are bigger problem!

Does anyone know if there's limitations once we're healed? (I mean restriction of movement or extertion). don't know

How sensitive is the band to movement? I don't think so

Has anyone been banded and not have it filled during surgery? How long before the first fill? I believe my dr. puts it on unfilled, then schedules a fill in a month or so.

I tried to answer the questions I can...I'm pretty new, so don't have as much experience as many of the others do!

Guest j. lynn

1 week. I have a desk job though.
I dunno...haven't gone yet. Not sure why it would though.
Nope.
Nope.
I didn't feel the port at all. You shouldn't feel it. The pain is all at the incisions since that's where the cuts are.
Does anyone know if there's limitations once we're healed? (I mean restriction of movement or extertion).
Ask your doc. I was cleared for full cardio 1 week after surgery. Then cleared for weight lifting and swimming 6 weeks after surgery.
No. Please make sure you understand the band -- asking this question suggests that you don't really know how it works. The band is meant to be lived in. You can do all things.
Never feel my band at all.
Has anyone been banded and not have it filled during surgery? How long before the first fill?
The maker of the band, Inamed, STRONGLY suggests that no one has their band filled at all during surgery. They request 6 weeks of healing before the band starts being filled.
We were told 10 prior to surgery, off all med's and supplements - did anyone experience heartburn? I've been off my prevacid/nexum and I have such a sour stomach - I can't understand how that can be good for surgery. I actually threw-up yesterday from the acid taste. This is probably the worst part of the pre-surgery instructions for me...
Didn't have that issue. I'd go with softer, gentler foods then. Might even go to liquids if you have severe heartburn. Call your doc.

jayme

A week - I have a desk job

I started Water aerobics two weeks post op and went fine with it. Ask your doctor how long he thinks you should hold off those, as each one will have a different answer.

Only if there is hair there (on your tummy). I have a bit of light peachfuzz and didn't get shaved.

For the surgery, I had to wear a hospital gown, desposible undies (hospital issued) and nothing else. Each hospital probably has their own procedure though.

In my case, everything was sore for about a week. After that, it still hurt around the port incision a bit (for probably 3 weeks, but light pain, nothing major).

I haven't run into any yet. When I first started back to the gym afterwards, the ab stuff hurt a good bit, days after I'd done it. But I would just slack off a lil til it felt better. Nowadays, I'm fine with it. You've just got to learn to listen to your doctor and to your body.

Don't really have a clue on this one, but I've never seen falling or bumping something listed as a reason for slippage.

While it's healing, it can be quite sensitive. Four months post op and I honestly, forget it's there.

I was not filled during surgery. I think its a very rare practice. My first fill was 6 weeks post op, but all doctors are different on this.

Good luck with it all :)