Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill yesterday, don't notice a difference

I am one month post-surgery, have lost 18 lbs. and, other than gas/constipation, am doing well. I had my first fill yesterday (2cc), but don't feel any greater restriction or greater sense of fullness . Is this normal?

I just had my fourth fill, up until then I felt zero restriction. If you read around this forum, you'll see how much the variance between what works for different people is, you just have to find your own sweet spot. However, you have to give it a little bit of time to know for sure if you need more Fluid. I know that my doc will only do a fill once a month, give yourself a few weeks and see how you feel.

My doc was very clear that most of his patients required 4 (or more) fills before feeling restriction, so I expected to not feel any, and I don't. I have had 2 fills so far, 3 cc's, and nada. If you're in doubt, ask your doc....

My first two fills I felt such minor restriction, I wasn't really losing weight and I was pretty discouraged. My third fill found my perfect spot and I dropped weight lightning fast.

With each fill there were a few things I could no longer eat- but that third fill did the trick and I felt restriction all the time and had to totally change my eating habits.

I was banded on Oct 16- had my first fill ast wednesday-dec 3rd and feel no restriction either, but haveing the willpower to stay on my diet has been good so far. I have lost 25 lbs so far. I have another fill on Jan 14 and am hoping it feels more restricted. I'm hoping my willpower holds out until then.

I'm so glad to read these posts because I too had my first fill Wednesday (banded on Nov 20th) and can't tell a difference and I was concerned because he put 4 cc's, which sounded like a lot to me after I had read other people only getting 2 or even 1/2. I was wondering how many cc's does the band hold total and to all those successfull bandster's, what cc amount seemed to be your sweet spot? I know everyone is different but just curious to hear the ranges. thanks!

Hi, I'm new here and am getting a lap band soon, still asking and reading and more reading on how it all works. So it is really possible to go and get a fill and get nothing from it? Why do you suppose they cant just fill your band to restriction in the first fill, at least moderate restriction. I cant imagine going through the hassle of a fill appointment, getting poked and paying for it and then nothing.?.? Then how long do you have to wait to go back for a fill that works?

The usually dont fill your band when they put in because the swelling around your stomach from the surgery cause restriction. Then when you start getting hungry at around 6 weeks later, you should get your first fill. Sometime oyu hvae to wait until the next couple of fills to feel restriction

I just got banded on Oct 16, first fill on Dec 3rd and feel very little or no restriction yet. I have a 10cc band and also got 4cc's put in. According to everyone here, sometimes you have to wait for it to kick in or until the next couple of fills before you feel restriction ro that fullness after small amounts. I've lost 25 lbs so far, but thats all from willpower. And, as we all know, our willpower only last so long. I go back on Jan 14th and hope I feel it then. Good luck

I am one month post-surgery, have lost 18 lbs. and, other than gas/constipation, am doing well. I had my first fill yesterday (2cc), but don't feel any greater restriction or greater sense of fullness . Is this normal?

Read the top post in the Fills Forum....I just read it can take up to 4 days to feel the difference

Why do you suppose they cant just fill your band to restriction in the first fill, at least moderate restriction. .? Then how long do you have to wait to go back for a fill that works?

From my research (several books etc) and what my doc tells me, aggressive fills can cause a multitude of problems including esophageal spasms. Some do fill quickly but many prefer to take it more slowly. While some people say it's just to get more money from us (and I'm sure that's true with some doctors), I think most just want us to be very successful. My doctor includes all fills for 1 year for self-pay patients and he takes his time with them, too.

I was told before I even GOT the band that it would/could take 4 or more fills and up to 6 months before I really felt restriction.

Honestly if you want fast, get bypass. The band is slower, but then it is adjustable. Three years out you can get a fill if you need it. It's a trade off.

My first two fills I felt such minor restriction, I wasn't really losing weight and I was pretty discouraged. My third fill found my perfect spot and I dropped weight lightning fast.

With each fill there were a few things I could no longer eat- but that third fill did the trick and I felt restriction all the time and had to totally change my eating habits.

I had restriction pretty fast after surgery from the swelling (some do, some don't) then I had a fill and had slight restriction, but I faked it and measured everything and just ate smaller portions more frequently, I lost weight and could pretty much eat anything I wanted, I just forced myself to eat smaller portions. I am now 10.5 months out, down over 118lbs and just had my 4th fill and voila! I can't eat bread unless it's toasted and I can't eat any Pasta, even whole grain pasta! BUT if I chew well, everything else goes down! With each fill, your food options decrease because you have a tighter band. After my 3rd fill, I couldn't eat white meat chicken or turkey! NO WAY too dry!!!

I have a 14ml band and I have 5.5mls in it! AND I am not longer faking it, my band is doing most of the work!

Everyone is different, it usually takes 3 or 4 fills to get good restriction. My doc does the "fill, drink, fill, drink" method of filling and I think that makes a huge difference is getting fairly decent restriction. Some docs just give you 1ml at a time. Some don't feel restriction until 2 weeks after a fill.

From my research (several books etc) and what my doc tells me, aggressive fills can cause a multitude of problems including esophageal spasms. Some do fill quickly but many prefer to take it more slowly. While some people say it's just to get more money from us (and I'm sure that's true with some doctors), I think most just want us to be very successful. My doctor includes all fills for 1 year for self-pay patients and he takes his time with them, too.

I was told before I even GOT the band that it would/could take 4 or more fills and up to 6 months before I really felt restriction.

Honestly if you want fast, get bypass. The band is slower, but then it is adjustable. Three years out you can get a fill if you need it. It's a trade off.

There is a huge learning curve with the band. It's not that easy to learn how to eat properly and if you vomit and PB all of the time from being too tight you can damage your esophagus and have severe problems. You can have your voice permanently change, you can have an erosion or a band slip. The doctors take it slow to help us learn our new lifestyle along the way. If you want to lose weight fast, this is not the surgery for you. The band takes work from you, other WLS, can do it all for you. Restlessmonkey is totally right with her advice, the Lapband is adjustable and you can still use it years later! Whereas some other surgeries you have a window of opportunity to lose weight.