Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having my surgery on December 16th and I am beginning to prepare everything for it. My doctor does not require a pre-op diet and I was wondering if I could get the information of what it is and how to do it from someone. I would like to do the diet that you all do for a saftey precaution just in case.

If any of you could pass that diet on to me I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much!

It is different for almost everyone. My doctor just wanted me on a high Protein, low-carb, low-fat diet. Some require a diet of liquid Protein Shakes. The purpose is usually to try to reduce the size of your liver before surgery.

My doctor does not require a pre-op. I did hear though that if a patient weighs over a certain amount, then he will have them do a pre-op but he said the liver hasn't really been much of an issue for him unless they binge before surgery. He will not do the surgery if anyone gains over a certain amount of weight prior.

roxy, i noticed on your ticker that you've already lost close to 40lbs without the surgery... congratulations!!! my question is how did you it?

Hi Roxy

I have the same date has you.12/16/08,and my doctor have me on a 7 days pre-opt with optfast that I brought from my nutritional.so I guess everbody different.I will keep you in prayer has we get banded on the same day,I have to stay over night .so when I come home I will let you know how it went.:thumbup::thumbup:

Mine is very limited. 4 weeks of Medifast shakes, 5 per day for a total of 500 calories. It's the toughest thing I've had to do. I'm also allowed a small salad with a hint of fat free drsg. Wendys has a great side salad at 35 calories that has been a lifesaver at work when everyone else is chewing something! I have cheated a couple times with some baby carrots and shredded wheat squares just to kill that emptyness in my belly. Less than 2 weeks to go!! YAY!!!

I was given two choices and had to select only one.

Choice 1: three high Protein drinks, which were low carb

Choice 2: two high Protein Drinks, which were low carb, plus one high Protein meal low carb.

If hungry, I was allowed two small fruit servings as a snack.< /p>

My pre-op diet is 14 days with the following requirements:

(1) <1300 calories

(2) Between 90-120 grams of whey Protein

(3) <100 grams of carbohydrates

I'm allowed Clear liquids and full liquids. Basically, Protein shakes, cream of chicken Soup, fat-free pudding, sugar-free Jello. I can also have steamed veggies sprayed with FF Parkay butter or veggie salad with FF dressing. Finally, once a week I am allowed 3-4oz. light, lean meat.

I'm on Day 6. It's HELL. But I'm trying to stay positive.

My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet. Most people are told it is to shrink the liver. My doctor kinda chuckled when I told him that and he said that IF it shrinks, at the most it would be 1 - 2 mm. His guess is that it is to help people get used to what is to come after surgery, kinda like a test. Clear Liquids and full liquids. Do what your doc tells you, even if it is hard. If you can't handle the pre-op diet, it will be hard to stay on the post-op diet which is more important and the main reasons why people fail at the band. My surgery was 30 minutes from the time I was wheeled in to the time I was in recovery. Good luck and stick with it, it is SOOOO worth it!!!!

My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet. Most people are told it is to shrink the liver. My doctor kinda chuckled when I told him that and he said that IF it shrinks, at the most it would be 1 - 2 mm. His guess is that it is to help people get used to what is to come after surgery, kinda like a test.

Our practice was invited to a conference last year that had many of the top Lap Band surgeons in the world. Many if not most of us have our patients go on a low calorie diet before surgery to shrink the liver. It is more imporant in men, and in larger patients.

Here is a link to some papers describing liver shrinkage in response to low calorie diet:

SpringerLink - Journal Article

The effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on the nonal...[surg Endosc. 2007] - PubMed Result

Change in liver size and fat content after treatme...[Obes Surg. 2006] - PubMed Result

Our practice was invited to a conference last year that had many of the top Lap Band surgeons in the world. Many if not most of us have our patients go on a low calorie diet before surgery to shrink the liver. It is more imporant in men, and in larger patients.

Here is a link to some papers describing liver shrinkage in response to low calorie diet:

SpringerLink - Journal Article

The effect of a low-carbohydrate diet on the nonal...[surg Endosc. 2007] - PubMed Result

Change in liver size and fat content after treatme...[Obes Surg. 2006] - PubMed Result

Hey! That's MY doc! :tt1: