Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crap i am so ashammed should i cancel

I am scheduled for surgury on Tuesday and was supposed to be on a liquid diet for 4 days prior well there is 1 1/2 days left and I have cheated. I think for some reason yet again I am trying to self sabotage. It chocolate, turkey and sushi. It started with the low fat turkey and sushi but then the emotional chocolate fix was the end. Now I am not sure what to do. Some people say just dont eat after midnight the night before others say they were told to fast. What is wrong with me???

I am so mad at myself???

At least your admitting your mistake. I would make sure that I fast for the rest of your time and the doctor will let you know if you have to cancel. The reason for the preop diet is to shrink your liver, the doc might not be able to do surgery if your liver is to large.

Get back on the band wagon and just hope for the best.

Good luck!

It sounds to me like you have some "head hunger" issues you need to deal with. I don't mean to be prissy! But if you can't even stick to a diet for 4 days the band lifestyle MAY give you problems. You know it's a tool and you have to make healthy choices, follow the rules, etc. Its possible if you do have emotional eating issues that are not addressed, you'll go through the time trouble risk and expense of the surgery for nothing.

Do talk to your doctor. If there is a therapist he can recommend, I suggest some sessions. It is HARD so don't feel miserable and ashamed; just realize you have some issues (well, duh. most of us have some type of issue or we wouldn't need the band) and you need to deal with them. Shame and misery won't make it better. You just have some work to do, is all.

Get back on your surgeon's plan NOW and call tomorrow, see what his take is. Hopefully the impact will be negligible. But do pursue some help for the hunger that isn't true physiologic hunger. The band takes care of "physical" hunger but you have to handle the rest.

Good luck and good for you being honest about it!

What RestlessMonkey said is exactly correct. Tell your surgeon so he can decide where to go from here, in your best interest. Four days is nothing...it gets worse for a while after the band, not better.

Just tell your doc and remember, you are getting the band because sticking to a prescribed diet is too difficult (or doesn't work in some cases) so it won't surprise your doctor if you cheated.

listen ill tell u this now yes what people are sayin are correct but people do cheat it happens get over it get back to ur pre op diet and get ur surgery done...ull feel better when the surgery is over knowing this is the beginning of ur new life...i had a 14 day pre op diet and did cheat but i realized my mistake and got back on my pre op diet and was banded 9/08...i wouldnt even tell ur doctor u cheated i didnt and turned out fine 1 day of cheating is not gonna mess u up...revising ur pre op diet altogether will get u in trouble not 1 day...follow his or her rules and get back to ur pre op diet

hi, I had lapband 1 yr ago and also I am a nurse. thats a long time to fast, not surprising you couldnt do it. if we didnt have problems with food we wouldnt be doing lapband. dont worry, tell your dr and>>> ABSOLUTELY fast after midnight before your surgery<<<<. if you cant do the pre-op fast they will have to cancel or you could inhale vomit, not pretty. thats the reason for the nothing after midnight rule.its very important.

good luck on your surgery. sara

I was on a liquid diet for one week before surgery. I thought I would die the first few days. It got better. You have not had enough time for it to "get better". Don't be too hard on yourself. Just buckle down, do the best you can, and talk with your doctor about it to let him know what is going on.

Depending on the size of your liver, you may still be okay.

They are right that after surgery, it will get worse for a time. I am there now. The thing is, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and, in relation to life, the tunnel is not that long.

I have been learning to deal with head hunger and I think you may want to take a look at that too. It is a whole other monster. Head hunger sneaks up on you. I have been having to make myself think before I eat. Am I really hungry and need a meal or a snack or is it that I am bored or stressed or just eating for pleasure? It is hard to actually admit those answers other than when it is real hunger.

I am also in a lifestyle where there is a lot of social eating. That one has been tricky but I am starting to get the hang of that one as well. I don't let myself get drawn into "being part of the crowd" and just eating because its there.

We live in a world FULL of options. So many options that it seems ridiculous at times. We can use that to our benefit or we can let it be our downfall.

You are here because you have chosen to be an overcomer. You can do this and you WILL make it. Just hang in there and hop back on that wagon.

I am having surgery on Wedesday. I too cheated. My Doctor told me that the preop diet is "recommended" and I have heard that the preop diet does help you become more disciplined, helps reduce the size of your stomach and does reduce the size of the liver. I would mention this to your Dr. ONLY if you think medically this could interfere with the surgery.

I have started the liquid diet today and will continue until surgery.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are getting banded to help your food problem... remember that! Don't forget about all the good days you have accomplished.

Get back on track. Keep your focus. You have worked way to hard to get to where you are now.

Your lucky your doctor only gave you a 4 day pre-op diet. My preop was 14 days.

Unless you have a PhD. I would call your doc and talk to him/her. Don't decide for yourself if you should say something or not. And if you have to push the surgery back a few days or a week that is better then going into surgery and them not putting the band on. Plus then you don't have to worry. And trust me this happens all the time.... My mother works in general surgery where they do the procedures and there have been people who do the whole 10 day fasting and one woman decided to eat a hot dog on her WAY to surgery that morning. It happens.... So chin up and give them a call.

I feel your pain and completely understand. I am on day 13 of a month long liquid diet, 5 shakes a day. I'm doing well,pretty much sticking to it, it by far is the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I was told I could have 4 oz of turkey and a cup of veggies on T-day. Let's just say I had a spoonful of everything and even a sliver of pie! I have 2 and 1/2 weeks to go still. I'm sure there will be another slip up, I am afterall human with an eating problem not superwoman! Hence the reason I'm even doing this. I asked my dr why such a strick diet when others have none, and was told it was a center of excellence with zero morbidity rate in 25 years doing gastric surgeries, so it's a valid reason. She did tell me that in all of the operations she has performed she has never had to do an open procedure. Hang in there, you can and will do it!!

I have to agree with blueeyedgirl. Be honest with yourself and your doctor. Let the doctor make the decision. It can be a safety thing and you have waited this long so if you have to wait a few more days so there is no doubt thats the road you have to take. Dont get down on yourself because we all have the same problem or we wouldnt be doing all of this.