Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lazy and weightloss

It was excellent advice and it came from an orthopedic doctor...did you guys miss she fractured her leg and was put in a brace?.

no, i read that part - and read it again.

i have had ACL surgery, live with AS (ankylosing spondylitis - spinal arthritis), and have had multiple injuries over the course of 30yrs - sports related. never was i told - bed rest for any extended period of time.

in fact - 30mins after waking up from ACL surgery...they made me get up and walk. and walk again in the AM for PT.

my husband has had 2 surgeries for bulging disks - they have had his butt up and moving the first signs his eyes fluttered opened.

i get that depression kept you bed ridden among other issues & you lost weight. but i'll never discount activity / exercise on what it can do for you both mentally & physically.

Stress also makes it harder to lose weight. Since she is a nurse, maybe laying in bed also helped relieve some of her stress. So I guess we could use this experiment to make that case also. Who knows. I think it may have been a fluke. I'm glad that she got the rest she needed and is getting back on track again. Please wish her well from me with her knee, I had surgery on my knee several months ago and know that it can be painful and aggrivating.

Thanks, you wrote what I was just about to write.

Staying in bed like that sounds like the best way to get blood clots and lose muscle mass all at the same time!

Didn't think about the blood clots. Makes sense though. Any time you lay in bed and do not move around, you are just inviting them into your life. Not good.

Many fight weightgain or unable to lose weight and a key culprit is sleep deprivation.

Color me ignorant, but I thought a key culprit to being unable to lose weight was not exercising. I've never EVER heard of sleep deprivation as being an issue.

And because I don't recall if it was mentioned, how sleep deprived is deprived? Getting only a few hours' sleep a day?

Color me ignorant, but I thought a key culprit to being unable to lose weight was not exercising. I've never EVER heard of sleep deprivation as being an issue.

And because I don't recall if it was mentioned, how sleep deprived is deprived? Getting only a few hours' sleep a day?

OP is correct in one aspect. Studies have shown that sleep deprivation can curtail weightloss efforts.

However, I feel they took it to an extreme by assuming that staying in bed and losing the weight are healthy. Most people, me included, are assuming that the weight lost came from losing the muscle gained after working out for awhile with a personal trainer.

Beth...there are studies relating sleep deprivation with weight gain, especially in menopausal women. Some studies state that with sleep deprivation comes stress. With stress comes eating because of stress. (Sorry, don't have those studies at my fingertips to quote). I gained an enormous amount of weight during menopause and I was sleep deprived due to extreme hot flashes.

I do not agree with OP though on staying in bed and letting the weight fall off. Gotta move in any way that a person can. If I sat on my butt during weight loss stage, I would be afraid to look in the mirror to look at my saggy a$$. It was difficult at first to exercise but with pushing myself came the ability to exercise more with each phase.

Here's something for your reading pleasure. Just FYI. Sleep deprivation and obesity are indeed related. There has been quite a bit of reasearch on it. Google Leptin and Ghrelin. Here's an article that touches on it and there's a book on Amazon that looks very interesting but I have not read it. Sleep More to Fight Obesity

Beth...there are studies relating sleep deprivation with weight gain, especially in menopausal women. Some studies state that with sleep deprivation comes stress. With stress comes eating because of stress. (Sorry, don't have those studies at my fingertips to quote). I gained an enormous amount of weight during menopause and I was sleep deprived due to extreme hot flashes.

I do not agree with OP though on staying in bed and letting the weight fall off. Gotta move in any way that a person can. If I sat on my butt during weight loss stage, I would be afraid to look in the mirror to look at my saggy a$$. It was difficult at first to exercise but with pushing myself came the ability to exercise more with each phase.

I have a vague understanding about sleep deprivation and weight gain, but OP didn't say if his sister was only getting a couple hours' sleep a day or what it was. And I also don't like how it was his idea, and not his sister's doctor's, that she stay in bed and eat/drink.

Muscle loss WOULD show a great loss on the scale, but it's the wrong type of weight to lose. I think most of us here realize that.

When I was 20 I ended up in a hospital for close to three months. (Pancreatitis caused by physical injury). Gastric tube, etc. and was bedridden most of the time in hospital. I was a young and vibrant woman prior to becoming ill. I could not believe how being bedridden ravaged my young body. Where I used to have calves, the skin hung. I was a volleyball player in collage and also on the track team prior to this. My arms actually hung. It took me 9 months of hard work to get back to where I was to begin with.

I cannot be convinced that plopping into a bed for a knee injury would be advice that a doc (any doc worth his salt) would give.

When diagnosed with sleep apnea, which of course can happen to heavy people as well as thin people I learned some of the connections with sleep loss and weight gain.

When you have sleep apnea you appear to be sleeping but you are not getting a good quality sleep because you stop breathing. Each time you are awakened because of the apneas you are not fully awake but it does affect that quality.

Many people overeat during states of sleep deprivation and some do it mindlessly. It has something to do with your body's energy.

So that's one reason why sleep is so important besides the fact she is wounded and should be in bed as her doctor had instructed her. Nancy:smile:

I would definetly listen to the people who responded, exercise is the key. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a year ago. It definetly was a contributing factor to my weight gain, with depression and other health issues. Treating the condition has definetly been beneficial for my health and the ability to start functioning normally. But it was getting back to swimming, which I love, that limbered me up enough, after 5 months, to include walking a mile and the newest addition, a half hour in the evening on the total gym. Thats my daily routine. When I physically can't do one , for any reason, I have two other forms of exercise to fall back on. I feel great ! No weight loss yet. But like many of the bloggers said, I have lots of fat, that has turned to muscle and I've gone down 2 sizes because of inch loss. l I'm ready for my surgery in about 6 weeks. While my incisions are healing, I can still walk and keep up some of my strength training on the total gym . For myself , success has not come with shortcuts, I've had to do the work to enjoy the benefits. It's a great advantage to have so many mentors on this forum. Thank you

Btw, you said here yourself, you told her to stay in bed. Not her dr. Now, if you missed that point from her dr, that is one thing. However, do not accuse me of not reading your post thoroughly.

Yes, I told her to gather all her necessities by her side, including her diet foods so she could munch on.

And a fracture could turn into a break and cause her to miss work entirely. Her doctor wrote her a note to miss work but she decided to just use the brace and tough it out for the 12 hour shifts. Her doctor was a tad upset with her as her fracture could have gotten worse and the only thing for her to do was stay completely off it.

But I guess some folks reading my post must have thought I was advocating staying in bed to lose weight. How crazy is that!

This was an uplifting thread to all those who may be in the process of losing weight and then something happen. To not give up hope...that no matter what, they will be back on track before they know it.

Just like with my sister. She was losing weight and then got injured. But instead of boo hooing and thinking she was doomed.... she rested. Not only healed but allowed her body to rest.

So don't think because you get sick, have a bone to break that you are doomed. Get adequate rest and in our cases - let the band work. You'll be back on your feet in no time ready to resume.

Edited by lapbandtalker

So that's one reason why sleep is so important besides the fact she is wounded and should be in bed as her doctor had instructed her. Nancy:smile:

This was not what the OP claimed, the doctor didn't suggest this the family member did.