Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to not be bummed out!

Hi All,

It's been 3 weeks since my surgery and i'm still at only a 10 pound weight loss. I don't get it. I'm eating well and exercising. I thought that this would be a plateau but wouldn't that have passed by now? Is this normal? Has anyone else experianced this? My fill is on January 8th and it can't come soon enough? Why do they wait so long to give me the fill? Any suggestions? Thank you! The dietician said that I may not lose much from that last appt and until January. Why is that ? If i'm exercising and eating healthy,why wouldn't I lose weight?:)

Your body needs a little time to adjust to the changes, plus you do not have much restriction as the swelling goes down in your stomach and before your first fill.

I also stalled at this stage and it is normal. However, as long as you keep following the bandster rules and getting in your exercise, your weight will stop dropping again.

I'm surprised your first fill is not until January - most people have a fill by 6 weeks after surgery.

Your body needs a little time to adjust to the changes, plus you do not have much restriction as the swelling goes down in your stomach and before your first fill.

I also stalled at this stage and it is normal. However, as long as you keep following the bandster rules and getting in your exercise, your weight will stop dropping again.

Thank you for the encouragement.I'm trying so hard to not be discouraged. Did you ever remember feeling that a few weeks after your surgery that sometimes it felt really tight when you were eating and other times you felt as if you had nothing done ? I'm just trying to figure out why the change in sensations. Sometimes it's uncomfortable. Then it goes away.

I'm surprised your first fill is not until January - most people have a fill by 6 weeks after surgery.

I have no idea why they wait this long. I'm curious if there is anyone else out there that's had a similar experiance.

I have no idea...my doc is the opposite. He wants us in there at four weeks on the dot for the first fill due to the advantage the first year after banding gives for losing weight. He is very focused on getting off most or all of the weight in the first year. He has said after that four week mark, I can be filled every week if that is what is needed. So far though I have restriction just from the surgery. I know most of it is swelling, but he does put some in the band when he places it as well.

Thank you for the encouragement.I'm trying so hard to not be discouraged. Did you ever remember feeling that a few weeks after your surgery that sometimes it felt really tight when you were eating and other times you felt as if you had nothing done ? I'm just trying to figure out why the change in sensations. Sometimes it's uncomfortable. Then it goes away.

I have this issue too, and have had it all through banding. For me, it is the time of day (morning is restrictive and evening is open). If I take a nap I am tighter afterwards. If I drink something warm I am more open.

I have found that I occasionally I have an initiation of eating tightness. If I take a small bite and wait five minutes, I can then eat normally. But if I start eating normally without waiting, I am too tight and can't take in much.

Our bands are fickle, it just takes a little time to get used to the patterns of what works. :)

I have this issue too, and have had it all through banding. For me, it is the time of day (morning is restrictive and evening is open). If I take a nap I am tighter afterwards. If I drink something warm I am more open.

I have found that I occasionally I have an initiation of eating tightness. If I take a small bite and wait five minutes, I can then eat normally. But if I start eating normally without waiting, I am too tight and can't take in much.

Our bands are fickle, it just takes a little time to get used to the patterns of what works. :)

I can't thank you enough for your posts. This really helps me to get a realistic perspective. I sort of feel like i'm walking in the dark ,when it comes to my band. Like for me,I tend to be more tight in the afternoon and evening but have no idea why. I do tend to sometimes be a fast eater (because i'm always on the go) and i'm trying so hard to slow down. This is all so new.

Really, ten pounds is not bad for the beginning. You are healing during this time and your body is going to do weird things.

I was banded on Nov. 11 and have lost approximately ten pounds since surgery. I am only walking on the treadmill every other day at this point and only for about fifteen minutes. I am eating healthy and small portions as well.

I think it is that our bodies don't really know what is going on. One day we are eating "bad", the next we are on liquids, in the middle of liquids we go to surgery and have this new thing added to us, then we go to Clear Liquids, then back to liquids, then to mushies. I think our bodies are just still freakin' out a bit and have to have time to heal, adjust, and then catch up with the program.

Perhaps you need a few more calories as well. I know I had sort of stalled on liquids and the day after I started mushies (and I REALLY started mushies) I had lost another 1 1/2 pounds. A calorie bump may help.

Don't be bummed. You will get there. Call you doc and see if he will fill you sooner. He may be willing. I go for my first fill on December 8. That will be four weeks post-op.

I know how you feel. I had my surgery on November 3 and I am down about 15lbs....but nothing in over a week. I am so frustrated, but I know I need to be patient.

Hi All,

It's been 3 weeks since my surgery and i'm still at only a 10 pound weight loss. I don't get it. I'm eating well and exercising. I thought that this would be a plateau but wouldn't that have passed by now? Is this normal? Has anyone else experianced this? My fill is on January 8th and it can't come soon enough? Why do they wait so long to give me the fill? Any suggestions? Thank you! The dietician said that I may not lose much from that last appt and until January. Why is that ? If i'm exercising and eating healthy,why wouldn't I lose weight?:)

hi, yes i had my surgery on october 1st and when i went to the dr on nov 6, he said that i have exceded my weightloss for the month, he said he would only fill me if i only lost 5 lbs or less or gained. he goes by the numbers he says, and plus he says that i wouldnt want to use up all my fills when i really didnt need to. i had lost 7 lbsm so he didnt do it. i go again on dec. 4th, im hoping that i only lost 5 lbs so that i can get a fill. lolol

Did you ask your doctor if it is normal to have a fill 8 weeks out from surgery? My doctor does them 6-weeks out. I had surgery 11/11/08 and if I need a fill it will happen the week of Christmas. It doesn't hurt to ask if you think you might need a little fill before January.

Maybe Im misreading this?? OP lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks and says she is stalled and another poster lost 15 and is complaining about how slow it is?

By definition a stall means you lost zero pounds in 3 weeks. 10 lbs in less than a month is not a stall.

It could be that when you changed from liquids to mushys you quit losing like you were because you probably had less calories and when you were only on liquids. Some gain when they switch over to mushys and their doctors say dont worry, this is a time for healing. Even if you didnt lose anything they would say its normal until you are filled to a much tighter place and healed. This is the time for healing. Its going to be a long slow process. I looked at tickers and dates and figure a year to lose about 100 lbs from what Iv seen.

Did you ask your doctor if it is normal to have a fill 8 weeks out from surgery? My doctor does them 6-weeks out. I had surgery 11/11/08 and if I need a fill it will happen the week of Christmas. It doesn't hurt to ask if you think you might need a little fill before January.

I go December 5th for my second follow up appt so I think i'll know more then. I did ask the nurse about why he waits that long to have a fill,she stated they will not do a fill much earlier than that due to the healing process ,she also stated that some may not even need a fill then.