Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Everything is out of WAK today. I cant stop grazing - literally all day despite a feeling of satiety. I have not drank my Water and all I can think of is food. I have eaten solids with liquids - very very wierd day.I have already eaten 947 calories and it is ONLY 4:30PM. I have the whole night to go!!!

Well, I need to refocus and i will not beat myself up for today. today, I will let myself do what I need to do. But as a makeup, I will go and sign up at the gym and start doing something regularly tomorrow. I think that is what I need to refocus because FOCUS is really what I need.

PHEW - I already feel MUCH better. Will be back to track tomorrow, I can tell. Just needed to put this out there so that I have ONE bad day and not 6 bad days!!!!

Hope you are well. How is everyone doing on their goals????

I keep having to remind myself that doing this band thing right 80% of the time is way better than 100% of eating badly on my pre-band days!!!

Just checking in for the night. Hope evryone is doing great. I have had 3 bad meals in the last two days. I went way over my calories. I started my same old crap, Ive cheated so Im gonna just quit. But.....my goal is to stop being my own worst enemy. I just want to dust myself off and finally realize that I cant be perfect all the time, IM HUMAN. Tomorrows another day Scarlett. I can do this but for me I just have to dig deeper than others. I accept that, and now I am gonna pick myself up and press on to a healthy life.

My goals for tomorrow are to first get all of my Water in, some exercise and journal every bite that goes in my mouth. I havent done that in a few days and Im sure thats where I went wrong.

Okay...Im done venting. Hope everyones well, and KEEP POSTING, it helps me sooooo much!!!!

Hi White06!!!!! Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to check in and see if you were able to get back on track, after the few bad meals. Rooting for you. Let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for sharing. I think this is the most useful thread I've read on LBT. I'm failing my band. I was banded on Sep 23, 08. I have lost a total of 20 lbs only over the course of 4 months. From Thanksgiving to Christmas I lost only 2 lbs. From Christmas to today, I think I have lost only maybe 1 lb. I have been drinking liquids with all of my meals. I have been eating out. I have been having alcohol 1-2 nights per week when going out. I have been having soda and other carbonated/caffienated beverages. I have not been measuring my food. I have not been taking 20 minutes to eat a meal. I have been snacking on salty tortilla chips in bed before falling asleep, I have not been exercising at all. I'm kind of a disaster... I'm trying to change. Here is what I have done over the past 2 days to 1 week to change:

* Today I waited 30 minutes before and after my meals to drink liquids. Woo Hoo! This is the hardest one for me!

* Today I had a Protein Drink, and consciously tried to increase my Water intake, which I know is deficient... I'm getting maybe 50 oz a day?

* Today I skipped a work party at a bar so that I wouldn't be tempted to have french fries and booze.

* For the past 2 days I have had no sweets except a teaspoon of honey in my morning tea, a few squares of very dark chocolate, and 1 or 2 tangerines.

* For the past 2 days I have tracked my calories meticulously.

* On Monday I joined a Flamenco dancing class for exercise (that was so much fun)! It is only once a week, but that is an improvement for now.

Tonight I had a salad and some chicken with tomatoes and mushrooms for dinner. I should have stopped post salad but I couldn't! Why can't I stop when I know I'm not hungry anymore? I ate some chicken (a pretty good choice for me). I feel full, not overly full, but definitely not hungry. If I felt like this after my other meals, I'd probably not feel the need to snack in between meals (my Snacks aren't too bad: tangerines, yogurt... okay, and tortilla chips, I get major salt cravings). I've been having problems with food getting stuck, PB a few times a week and feel like food gets stuck at least once a day. Is this normal? How often do you all PB/get stuck and just slime but no PB? For a while I tried to eat just Soup because I was so uncomfortable... but then I was just grazing all day because I never got full. I feel like I can finally tolerate chicken again and am planning to try to have tuna for lunch because I know it is more filling than Soup (which I had for a full week for lunch & dinner). I think I do better with substantial Protein for meals. But, I shouldn't be able to eat a whole can of tuna in one sitting should I??? The other night I had nearly 3 slices of a large pizza. That is way too much food right? And yes, I know I shouldn't be eating pizza. I'm eating 1500 calories a day, and I'd guess this is about half of what I was eating pre-band. I weigh 178 and am 5'2". How many calories should I be eating a day?

My goals for tomorrow are:

*Write down everthing I eat.

*Eat 1500 calories or less.

*No sugar other than my 1t honey, fruit, and a piece or two of dark chocolate.< /p>

*NO SODA!!! This one is going to be tough.

*No drinking liquids around my meals. This one will be super-hard too.

* Eat chicken or tuna for lunch and dinner to try to feel fuller.

Thanks for listening. If you have answers to my questions please help!

-Hilary

Hello to all my fellow strugglers! I posted my story about 7 weeks ago and wanted to give a quick update. I was completely unfilled for 7 weeks and during the holidays none the less. Of course I put on about 10 lbs, as I whole heartedly admit I enjoyed eating bread, Pasta, rice and all those other things I had not been able to eat for over a year. However, I also started working out with a personal trainer 3 days a week for an hour and feel very energetic.

This week I was refilled to 2cc in my 4cc band. My acid reflux has been at bay using Nexium (an orange tasting suspension taken every night that is quite interesting to my cats when I'm mixing it up...lol). My Dr. thinks that the reflux caused the "too tight band" problems and not the other way around--since the barium swallow always looked good. I tend to disagree, but I'm willing to try restriction again. If reflux comes up again (pun intended), I will be in my Dr.'s office in a heartbeat asking for a slight unfill.

I was on liquids for the past two days (that sucked, as usual) and for the rest of the week I can progress to soft proteins...otherwise known as mushies.

So I am officially back on the eating plan, small Protein meals 3x a day. I am still working out with the trainer 3x a week and will get back into my cardio walking routine more regularly. I do a six mile hike every Saturday morning with my friends....it's 4 miles uphill, 2 miles down...love it:thumbup:

Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck to my fellow strugglers!

I thought it would be interesting to post something my Dr. gave me with my fill:

"Our goal with these adjustments is for you to be full and satisfied with 3 small Protein meals per day. Eventually, it should take you 20-30 minutes to eat 3-4 oz of chicken. You can expect to lose 1-2lbs per week. If you haven't lost any weight for 2 weeks, it is the result of one or two things: 1) your band is adjusted correctly, but you are eating soft carbohydrate calories that move through the band easy; or 2) you are trying to practice Protein 3x a day but your portions are bigger and you are hungry between meals. If it's the latter scenario then its time for a band adjustment. If you are cheating the band with soft calories then its time for a DIET adjustment (emphasis added)."

Makes sense to me. My goal is not to count calories, but eat protein meals with a few veggies until I'm full. Then not eat again until I'm actually hungry (not head hungry). I'm gonna try it right this time and see how it works.

Hope this helps some of you!

Hi Nashville,

Thank you for your post about "doing it right." I found it really valuable. I'm going to take your advice about not worrying so much about calories, and work on how I do with 3 Protein meals a day (hard Protein first like chicken or fish, then veggies 2nd) and try to measure and slow down to 20 minutes a meal so I can understand exactly how much my body needs before it feels full. I'm rushing my meals now and sometimes feel too full about 10 minutes after I've finished. Well, I have a lot of bad habits...but, I'm trying to get better.

Thanks again for helping me see the goal about how to eat.

-Hilary

Edited by HilaryInSB
grammar

My band is CRAZY!!! When I watch everything to the T and eat 1000 calories I do not lose weight. When I go CRAZY and eat around 1400 I lose weight. Yesterday was my going crazy day, I ate around 1400 calories and today I woke up having lost the 0.8lbs that I had gained that refused to badge the last week. Hmmmmmm.

This has been a pattern for me. My conclusion is that I am eating way too few calories. I will up my calories to 1400 and see what happens.

I see we have some new members. I'm excited to read everyone's story but at work now. Thanks for joining us!! Will read thoroughly and respond later.

Hope you all have a BANDALICIOUS day!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

Hi Nashville,

Thank you for your post about "doing it right." I found it really valuable. I'm going to take your advice about not worrying so much about calories, and work on how I do with 3 Protein meals a day (hard Protein first like chicken or fish, then veggies 2nd) and try to measure and slow down to 20 minutes a meal so I can understand exactly how much my body needs before it feels full. I'm rushing my meals now and sometimes feel too full about 10 minutes after I've finished. Well, I have a lot of bad habits...but, I'm trying to get better.

Thanks again for helping me see the goal about how to eat.

-Hilary

I'm not sure if I would call it "doing it right" but I think it will be right for me.....It may not be the best approach for everyone, some people need the calorie counting. I just want to try this way for a while and see where it gets me:smile: Glad to hear you will be joining me....let's keep each other updated from time to time!

Hi Ladies,

I'm just checking in and holding myself accountable here. I've done okay for myself this weekend.

*I wrote everything down,

*I didn't have sugar except what I planned,

*I ate my Protein first.

* I ate my meals nice and slow

*I did not have any soda/caffiene/carbonation

*I did not stay under 1500 calories,

*and I did have 2 glasses of wine last night.

*Then, post-wine I ate dinner part 2 because I had the munchies.

I haven't been drinking liquids with most of my meals. Last night I went out to sushi (didn't eat too much :-) but I did drink saki with my meal. And today, I was doing great except a bit of chicken got stuck. Oh, it was the mother of all PBs. It hurt so bad and I was choking on slime. So after it was over, I did have some Water and yogurt to try to get everything calmed down. And, today I was going through all of my good-girl paperwork from the dr. and noticed that I'm supposed to only be having 1200 calories a day, not 1500! OMG, this is so hard. I have to get my bootie in gear and try even harder tomorrow.

So, goals for tomorrow:

*eat between 1200 - 1500 calories

*no drinking with meals

*no sugar except my 2 squares of dark chocolate and fruit

*keep writing it all down

*no soda/carbonation

-Hilary

Edited by HilaryInSB

I am very happy to have found this forum. I too have been struggling. Banded 8/07, lost 62 lbs. but since Sept. have gone up and down to the tune of about a 15 lb. gain. Very discouraged, but realize it's my own fault. Am also definitely a food addict, especially sweets and bad carbs. Have been neglecting exercise as well. Am going to try to make some definite changes. I have always done well when I track my food. This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right :tongue:. I seem to overeat by slowing down and then am able to consume more. I just always seem to have a hard time when it comes to discipline. I plan to come back regularly to this site. Talk to you again soon!

Hello All- As you can see from my stats- not very impressive - no one would be asking me to be the postergirl for the lapband. I did not get enough fills early in the process, but believe that I may actually be approaching my sweet spot soon. I have come to realize a few things and wonder if anyone can relate...

• I became depressed a few months after surgery when it did not fix everything. Now, I am smart enough to know that it wouldn't, but, it still happened.
  • As a result, I found myself drinking alcohol becuase I could and as a way of numbing myself.
  • Alcohol passes just fine through the band and has oodles of calories.
  • So do many other things that I should know better than to eat (ice cream, chocolate, etc)

So, I faced all of this and stopped the antidepressants (yeah, I think they were messing me up more than helping me) and although, I swore that I would never do this again, walked in to a Weight Watchers week one meeting. Yep - accountability - just like at the start of the band process.

I really never thought I would have to do this again, but the band does not fix everything - it really is just a tool.

:tongue:

Hi All, Haven't checked in since the 14th. My husband has been home and left out today. Anyway, I ate what I wanted, didn't write down my intake, or do any real exercise. Even though I didn't keep track, I was still very aware of what I was eating. Anyway got on the scale and didn't gain and didn't lose, so I'm really pretty happy. We went to dinner had a birthday party etc. I'm happy. Now its time to get back to the basics, write things down, exercise, watch the carbs, etc.

Tabithan, you were saying that when you eat more you lose and when you eat less you don't. I'm the same way so what I do is trick my body. They say sometimes your body thinks your starving it, so it holds on to the calories. What I do is; Day 1: I eat 12 to 1400 calories. Day 2: I eat say, 9 to 1000 calories. I just keep flipping back and forth. It seems to work for me. You might try it. Hope it works for you. I do have to still watch my carbs.

Oh my goodness, I had to tell someone this.

I went on My Virtual Model.com today because I thought I could create a new cute virtual model.

I was shocked, when I went to put in my weight, they wouldn't accept it! I put in 274 and got an error message saying that they were recalculating my weight to fit their BMI maximum requirements. They wouldn't accept a weight larger than 249!!!

This site: My Virtual Model - Your portal for social shopping

Wow, it's bad enough that we have a hard time shopping at stores, let alone to be kicked out of a "Virtual" site for being too big!!!

Anyway, that's my rant and I'm stickin to it, lol.

Hope you all are having a great day.

-music

Hi All, Haven't checked in since the 14th. My husband has been home and left out today. Anyway, I ate what I wanted, didn't write down my intake, or do any real exercise. Even though I didn't keep track, I was still very aware of what I was eating. Anyway got on the scale and didn't gain and didn't lose, so I'm really pretty happy. We went to dinner had a birthday party etc. I'm happy. Now its time to get back to the basics, write things down, exercise, watch the carbs, etc.

Tabithan, you were saying that when you eat more you lose and when you eat less you don't. I'm the same way so what I do is trick my body. They say sometimes your body thinks your starving it, so it holds on to the calories. What I do is; Day 1: I eat 12 to 1400 calories. Day 2: I eat say, 9 to 1000 calories. I just keep flipping back and forth. It seems to work for me. You might try it. Hope it works for you. I do have to still watch my carbs.

Hey Kaelin's G-Ma, tricking the body sounds like a great idea. I've been working on keeping my calories under 1500 (more like under 1700 most days, but still) and I do notice that I seem to be MORE hungry on days that I eat more than on days when I barely eat. I'm going to try to do that on again off again thing.

-music

Usually, each trip I take is measured in the smallest increments- each step.

For years, I have painfully walked to each destination, marking each breath and the pain in my feet.

Now, I'm NO where near where I want to be, but I can say that today I've noticed that I no longer get so short of breath when walking from one building to another at my job. And for me that's a really huge non scale victory! :thumbup:.

Wow....I think this whole process, even before being banded, has really inspired me. I can't wait to keep marking the next phase in this incredible journey.

Have a good night everyone,

-Music