Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I so terrified?

Ok in the past I have studied the VSG procedure which was my surgery of choice but I am trying to use my insurance and they dont cover the VSG. I am stuck between the lapband and the RNY..I am sooo scared of the lapband...It is because I have heard sooo many stories about slippage, erosion, revisions, failures etc..that I am not sure that I want to go thru all that. My husband doesn't want me to have any WLS but stated that if I just had to have one then he would rather me go thru with the lapband because the RNY is too complicated...I am so terrified about foods getting stuck, terrified of PB-ing and vomiting....Is this normal??:thumbup::ohmy:

You get all of that and more with the RNY, so if you are afraid of it with LB, be aware it all happens with bypass too. Bypass has a far higher mortality rate as well. Have you gone to a seminar yet to find out more about the band? Keep in mind, much of what happens in terms of erosion, slippage, PB, vomiting, etc has a lot to do with YOU and whether you eat the way you are supposed to after the band is in place. For the vast majority of people it is controllable.

You have to do what's right for you and that requires educating yourself about both procedures. There are good books out on lap band (and so, I'm sure, on RNY procedures too) and the seminar I went to was very informative and balanced with each procedure presented. My surgeon also spent a good 45 minutes just answering our questions. I'd suggest you get more info before you panic.

AND...if you can diet and exercise and lose, don't get WLS of any type! I couldn't, but some people can.

Finally, PLEASE remember than on a web site like this, by it's very nature, people usually post here BECAUSE they are having problems. People who are issue-free are out living their lives and losing weight. Erosion and slippage rates are very low, around 3% I think. Many bandsters NEVER PB, or they do it once then know what it feels like and avoid the "stuffed" feeling. It's a learning curve but you don't HAVE to go through the rest of your life irking up restaurant food etc! LOL You just need more info, I think.

Ok in the past I have studied the VSG procedure which was my surgery of choice but I am trying to use my insurance and they dont cover the VSG. I am stuck between the lapband and the RNY..I am sooo scared of the lapband...It is because I have heard sooo many stories about slippage, erosion, revisions, failures etc..that I am not sure that I want to go thru all that. My husband doesn't want me to have any WLS but stated that if I just had to have one then he would rather me go thru with the lapband because the RNY is too complicated...I am so terrified about foods getting stuck, terrified of PB-ing and vomiting....Is this normal??:):wub:

of course its normal to be scared. I would just do research. There are stories like that yes but same with any surgery one may have. What about all the success stories? I have been banded and chose it because it was less invasive than the other surgeries with still awesome results. but you have to do what you think is best. My husband didnt support nany other surgery besides the lap band because it was fewer risks involved. It definatly has alot of pros. I think anytime you have sucha big decision to make, yes you are going to be scared and concerned. All those things above would happen with rny too. not just lapband. Gl with your decision. and congrats on taking time to care for you.

Make sure you do your research, go to the seminar and talk to your doc with a list of questions and concerns. Don't count on your memory when you go in! You have to choose which surgery is right for you.

I went with the lapband for financial reasons (self-pay) and because I was worried about losing weight so fast with bypass, I was also worried about changing my anatomy and not being able to go back if I had serious issues. I spoke with my doc/PA/case worker and others and found that the lapband would be a good choice. I am so glad that I chose it.

This isn't a magic cure. You do have to work at the band, watch what you eat and exercise, but it does make the losing much easier. You will have some pain from the surgery, but a fairly quick recovery. You have to follow your docs orders to a T to be successful. Exercise has been the hardest part for me, it always has been, but now that I have lost some weight it is easier and I am enjoying it more.

I hope you make a decision that works for you! WLS has been life changing for me and I would recommend it to anyone that is considering it! Good Luck!