Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Really, you have that much to lose?"

I haven't been meandering LBT as often as usual, so I was missing out on some of my favorite groups... like ya'll! So I thought I'd check in.

I was with a friend at lunch the other day, my best friend who I've know since I was a baby. She told me how good I was looking. I mentioned I had lost 80 pounds. Then, being funny, I said, "80 down, 100 to go!" And she said, "Whatever." She didn't believe I had that much extra weight on me.

Thus leads me to believe that normal size people have NO idea. :) My sisters and I always say that 300 pounds is thrown around a lot in that on TV they'll say "She was ginormous, 300 pounds or something" or a friend might comment on someone being 300 pounds. They think they've excluded you from that category because certainly you're not 300 pounds. I remember someone making a comment about how big someone was, she said, "She was really big, like 300 pounds or something" and I thought to myself, "Huh, what would she do if I said I was 380?"

This experience with my friend just led me to decide when people ask how much I've lost, that maybe I shouldn't tell them. Then they'll start trying to do the math in their heads and suddenly realize, 300 wasn't as big as they had thought. :)

I totally agree and know what you mean. I work at a hospital and will be getting report on a patient and the person will say "she's huge, like 300 or more" and I'm thinking, I weigh almost 400, what do you think I am?

I have to agree. I just recently went under the 450 lbs mark and a lot of people don't call me huge. Yes they do say I am a very big guy cause of course I am and even still at 6'-3" tall most of them don't understand that 300 lbs at this point in time sounds thin to me. I have had a few not even believe me when I have told them my weight. It's like yes I do weight that much.

You know I think a lot of people just have no concept on what a certain amount of weight looks like on one person or another.

Yeah, I couldn't wait to be just 299. I could fit into my skinny jeans! lol.

You crack me up!!!! :grouphug::laugh::grouphug::laugh:

i totally relate to this thread. i've recently been asked by my mom how much I weigh, and after telling her it's none of her business, i admitted i have to lose over 100 lbs (160 to be exact, but she doesn't need to know that). anyways, she didn't think i had that much to lose, and said i didn't look that big. it's as though skinny folks see size/weight through a very different set of glasses.

once i get banded, i've decided to answer nosy folks with the amount of dress sizes i've lost, rather than pounds - too much humiliation and moronic comments. who needs to go through all that aggravation anyways?

Lol, I stumbled here by hitting new posts, but yes, that used to annoy the crap out of me. Like 200lb is the most horrendous weight ever.

Same with my sister whining because she's hit 120lb! Or my SIL actually crying during her first pregnancy when she hit 130 - AT FULL TERM! Grrrrrr.

I'm sure if I told people my weight they would be thinking "How does she walk around?" :-)

I remember thinking at 220 I was SO fat, and again at 250, and at 280... well, you get the idea. I guess everything is just relative.

I know that my friends and family have no idea how much I weigh.

I think that after I am banded, I am not going to tell anyone where I started until after I get where I am going. Well, I'll tell you guys but no one I deal with in person. I just don't think that people can grasp the weight issue unless they've been there.

I loved this thread. I was banded in April and have lost 50 pounds, which is great, but I really need to loose another 50. I had someone the other day ask me how much I've lost and I told her and she said "really, that's all? I figured you were down at least 80 if not 100". I'm never really sure if I should be offended or if that's a compliment. I feel like I need to constantly defend my weight loss because everyone expects me to just drop 100 pounds overnight. Then a good friend of mine saying "you're not going to try to loose any more are you?" And then still someone else talking about this girl she knew who was really fat, "she must weigh like 160 or something". WTH?!?

You know I think a lot of people just have no concept on what a certain amount of weight looks like on one person or another.

The thing that doesn't help is that weight looks different on each person due to height, body structure, and maybe even how they dress.

I relate totally to this.

I was in the emergency service field for 20 years and heard the same thing - "Gosh, we ran a guy that had to weigh 300 pounds - the guy was a whale!"

Then someone asks now, "How much have you lost?" When you say more than 200 pounds....and you still have 70 or so to go....they start doing the math.

I guess it really doesn't bother me that much....I hated and was embarrassed at what my starting weight was....but I am confident I am still going to lose the rest of what I need to and keep it off long-term.....so, (and I think this is so important for me to remember) I know for the rest of my life I am going to be a fat person inside of a just larger than normal person body....that will be the approach I will have to keep for my mind to know that I have to be good....getting to a goal just means one step in the journey to not regaining it all back like I have done in the past.

Everytime I hear that "that guy must be 300 pounds" comment...I remember that I was almost "two of that guy" and it brings it into perspective.

Best of luck with the band and keep on keepin on.

dab

Wow Dab!!! That is awesome! You are my new hero! I can only hope to do half that well in my first year.