Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post from Rob from Outer East Melbourne

Hi Folks, here's my maiden post!

After much research and paining over the decision, I finally took the plunge and had my operation last Wednesday at Knox Private.

Like most of you, I was just in overnight. So obviously I've just started on this long journey.

At the moment I'm pretty sore but I should be right to go back to work on Monday.

I was a BMI of 40 when I went to see the Lapband folks initially.

In total I could loose about 40kgs. Not sure whether I'll go down to 70kgs cos I might look too weedy but I'll give it a go.

I've struggled with my weight for maybe 25 years and have lost heaps, a bunch of times, then gradually put it all back on again.

I lost about 8kgs on the Optifast stage of the process so I'm now down to a BMI of a bit over 35. Gees, am I glad to be off Optifast for all meals! Now of course I'm on the two weeks of nothing but liquid bit. Looking forward to puree stage.

So, wise folks who are before me in this journey, what, in your opinion, is the most challenging stage of ladbanding?

Is it when you get your band adjusted for the first time?

In one way my timing sucks with Christmas coming up and in another way it's ideal.

If you have 5 minutes free, please write back and let me know what I've got to be prepared for, other than a whole lot more vim and vigour and being less tired?

Thanks,

Rob (Muzzer)

Hi Rob

Congratulations on getting your band done. You're one step ahead of me. I was supposed to be done on 17th Nov however because I'm going public an emergency came up and my surgery is now scheduled for 8th Dec. I agree not good timing with Christmas etc but this is usually a time when I put on weight so that's one positive.

My other dilemma was that i was originally told I didn't need to do pre op diet cos my BMI is around 35. He has now changed his mind and I start it on Monday (not looking forward to the next 2 weeks).

I'm in Melbourne too so if you'd like to keep in contact for mutual support let me know.

Lisa

Hi Rob congratulations on being banded

take it easy and dont be too stressed if the wind/gas pains hit you at some stage....can happen even a few days after surgery

follow your surgeons post op diet

and they all have their own so can all be a bit different

try to have as many nutricious Soups and stuff as possible so you dont feel too blerk

also dont be concerned if once the healing is well underway the hunger returns its all quite normal

many bandits struggle with the hunger until they get some restriction some even put on a few kilo's so dont get worried if it happens

all our surgeons do fills at various rates but eventually you will get some restriction in your band

just go slow and steady and for now get in the fluids so sip sip sip

it can be a hard journey in the begining but one well worth it

I wish you heaps of luck

Leeanne:lol:

Thanks Cuddles.

Gees, you've done brilliantly. Look at that weight loss and lowered BMI you've had!

Probably the biggest problem I have now is Constipation. It's conic. I've bought and tried 4 separate lots of stuff from the Chemist and none of them has done the deed! Of course, one of them was prune juice.

People used to say "I'm full of it" and now I believe them.

Might have to take this to the next level as it's been 4 or 5 days now.

Delightful topic. Hope no one is having dinner.

What worked for you guys?

thanks Rob:regular_smile:

ohhh dear yes a lot of folk seem to have that little problem

i used to have baked Beans in my tomatoe Soup and blitz it well....i had that every day post op till i got to go on mushies

also pear juice is good stuff

thing is you dont have much in the tummy n it makes it difficult

make sure your also drinking plenty of Water because thats a very big help too and gentle walking around the house too

ok now im an old RN from the old ways and sometimes a heat pack placed around the ummm......posterior....cause im trying to be tactful..rofl...this can sometimes stimulate things a bit to....

try all of those ideas before you go the way of any more oral aperients cause sometimes they just give you lots of tummy pains but not a lot of effect

if none of the above work then i suggest a quick phone call to your doc for their suggestions...n dont be embarressed cause I assure you they will have heard it before

hope your feeling more comfortable very soon as I know its a horrible feeling

Leeanne:lol:

Hi Muzzer

I was banded on the 7th Nov 08 in West Aust. Just finished my 2 wks liquid diet which I just couldn't follow to the T. I tried some Up & Go for brekky had V8 juice every now and again also bought some sustagen Protein powder which I tried once. Bought some campbells peppered steak chunky Soup and hand blended that which went down ok. Also drank alot of green tea which I love. I found out from another site that you are able to eat most crisp which I tried and yeah you can eat them too without any trouble, not to say you have to. I have now started my pureed diet which means just about anything apart from fresh bread, ( you can eat toast) and chunks of meat (you can eat minced meat of any sort). I went back to see my Doc on the 19th and he seems ok with my progress my wounds are healing fine and I have loss 9 - 10kg which is probably just Fluid a loss never the less. I have to see him again in 2 weeks. Im feeling more energetic so I have been going for walks down the beach which is so good for me. Starting wgt was 110kg now 100kg. Look forward to hearing your progress. Oh yeah Im the same age as you yea new beginnings.

Moreen:thumbup::):thumbup::)

Edited by moreen19
spelling mistake

One lesson I've just learned is not to go back to work too early after the operation. I had the op last Wednesday and thought I'd be right to go back on Monday. Lasted half a day and I realised that the pain and swelling was there in abundance so I went back to nurse at the lapband centre who was wonderful.

She convinced me to take the rest of the week off until I get the staples taken out. She arranged for me to get back on the pain killers which I was trying to come off early.

I'm really starting to pick up now and a few more days of recovering should make a big difference. It's probably a good thing that I've missed out on my work Christmas party tonight.

By the way, the nurse also suggested I try Movicol for my Constipation problem and it seems to be working a treat, so to speak.

Gees Moreen, you and I have a lot in common.

I started at the same weight as you, have lost the same amount and we're the same age. Other than that, you're about a week in front of me on the eating/drinking stage.

Keep going and let's swap notes. What weight are you aiming for? I've been told by Doctors for years that I should be about 70kgs. Maybe that's a bit optimistic as I reckon I'd have to run around in the shower to get wet at that weight?

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the land of mature aged Aussie Bandits. I am 64 and have had my band for 4 weeks and 1 day. We are getting on fine. I have my first fill next Monday. You will soon be noticing that you have more energy and your joints etc will be thanking you. The discomfort of the op will decrease every day and then you can get down to gentle exercise and living the life you were meant to live. There is an Aussie site on Yahoo that has a lot of local stuff on it and recipes etc for mushies etc. I have so far found this journey exciting and just can't imagine myself down to the 60 kg mark so will just take it easy. Hope your journey is smooth as blended baked Beans and gravy Ha Ha. Keep up the good work. Regards

Brydie:wink2:

Hi Muzzer

Moreen here, yes I'm kinda aiming to get down to 70kg seems unrealistic at this stage my doctor reckons maybe 80kg and yes i've been told I should be 65kg according to my height which is 165cm, who knows... I love eating scrambled eggs with bacon bits and tomatoes at the momment also like chocolate crumble, I think I'm just trying to find what my taste buds like, I still doing ok haven't put on any wgt yet even though I have been indulging in a lot of crap like chocolate and crisps I will get back on track soon. I find it funny that before my op I never use to like crisps at all. I am due to see my doc again on the 12dec lets hope I've had some wgt loss. Hope your doing ok on the drinks or pureed food or whatever goes down. I haven't regurgitated or anything yet and my bowels are moving fine with a couple of tspns of benefibre everyday. Also take multivital liquid every morining to start my day which seems to help. let me know how ur doing.

moreen. :(:wink2::thumbup:

Hi Rob, I'm from outer SE melbourne myself.

Dont worry too much about your goal weight. When you've been heavy, its almost impossible to imagine yourself at a normal weight and saying "I think I'd be too thin" is very very typical! See how you feel as you get closer. Although I agree, for men it is a bit different, you dont want to get weedy - the answer I gave DH to that one is put on some muscle. His family are all long and thin - his uncle was a sprinter, won the Stawell Gift many years back, they have that type of body. DH is the same and appears to weigh a lot more than he does because by nature, he should be really really skinny. Of course he doesnt want to be, but you cant fool nature and there's not a lot of point remaining too fat after you've had weight loss surgery either.

You asked about the hardest stage of banding, personally I'm finding it harder now, 3 years out. There's nothing new and shiny about it anymore, its just day in day out discipline of maintaining a weight loss, and fighting old habits that creep back in, continuing to go out and run daily, in general continue to practice all those good, healthy behaviours without the reward of motivation boosting weight loss and heaps of complements and admiration from people who are now used to seeing me at this weight and dont take an interest anymore. The early stages are so great because you're rewarded so richly for all your hard work.

Not that its that hard, but it was such great fun dropping pounds every week, getting smaller month by month etc.

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm going well.

I had the staples out yesterday and I was told that I'm fine to move to the puree stage. Not really loosing any extra weight yet but I've reduced 10 kgs since I started on Optifast pre surgery.

I'm glad to be off that.

I'm booked in for my first band adjustment on December 29th which is a few days prior to heading down to the beach for a holiday.

I'm really looking forward to going to the beach in 12 months time and feeling ok about being in bathers. Not trying to look like a male model, just don't want to cause whales to want to beach themselves!

I was told by my GP that lapband surgery is an easier path for blokes than it is for females, so full credit to you guys.

I probably shouldn't say this but all of my male friends wouldn't want to go out with some incredibly skinny lady. One said recently that he was scared that if he cuddled a lady like that she might break in half! I reckon the pressure on women re body image is way out of control. It's more about feeling good about yourself than anything else.

Gees, I'm sounding like a philosopher, can't have that.

Hey Jackie, thanks for the info re the hardest stage for you.

I can only imaging that, but what I can say is you've obviously done brilliantly from the look of your photo and you'll just have to console yourself in all the nice complements about what you look like now, as distinct from what you've done to achieve it. You've done brilliantly.

Keep up the good work Moreen. We're very close to the same stage of this process and I admire what you're doing.

Ok, off to work with day one of pureed food. I'm looking the food variety now.

Cheers,

Rob

I've lost 12 kgs so far and I'm really starting to feel it.

It's a great feeling isn't it when your clothes are looser.

I went for a 20 minute walk yesterday up a hill near work that used to puff me out and it was no problem. Could have walked and chatted to a friend, which I certainly couldn't have done a few weeks ago.

One question. Has anybody on the puree stage tried toast?

If so, was it ok? Just thinking of different meals to try.

Rob,

I wouldn't jump too far ahead of yourself. Slow and steady wins the race and you don't want to do any damage to your new baby stomach. I had fun with the mushies with such meals as blended tuna curry YUMM. I even took some of it to a pub and just ate it with a spoon after my husband had got his pub burger. It only has to fill you up and keep the hunger away and give you some healing Protein. So I'd strongly advise against toast. But the exercise sounds good, isn't the new energy and lightness amazing?

Banded in Sydney 27/10/08 and lost 10 1/2 kg so far.

Regards

Brydie

Hi Rob, I found my eating "ability" returned to normal not too long after the surgery, so my challenging time was the time it took from my 1st to 2nd fill... the plateaus are challenging also.

I guess the thing to remember is that its not a magic cure, need to keep the food good, and the exercise up.

Good luck, and congratulations.