Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, So I know smoking is a no no with the Lapband, and I HAVE quit. I've been real good too. Cigarettes don't hold a huge issue for me.

However, I know that at some point, I may slip up. I enjoy the rare cigar, and the occasional clove cigarette socially. (I some times go to places where there is a Cigars and chocolate event. I can resist the chocolate, but sharing a cigar with a friend? So much harder.)

What exactly is it about smoking that is so bad for the band? Aside from the bad health affects of smoking that I already know, of course.

Is it the tobacco that is the issues? Or the act of smoking itself?

From my understanding it is the increased risk of acid reflux. It's a battle that i continue to fight, as I did quit well in advance of getting my band...but once I started battling my addiction to food I transfered it back to cigarettes. I smoke approximately 2-3 cigarettes a day...and I hate them.

Oddly enough, since being banded, I've been dreaming of smoking. I quit 2.5 years ago, and wasn't a really heavy smoker (2-3 cigs a day M-F only... work-stress related, LOL). But since dealing with not eating now, I'm finding myself craving the cigarettes more. Being a non-smoker is harder now than it was when I first quit, and I quit cold turkey.

this is odd.

neither my dietician nor my surgeon told me to quit smoking.

i tried to quit smoking before my surgery..failed on the patch due to stress. caused me to stay an extra night in the hospital, because my oxygen level was not high enough to be released.

but the next day i was, and been smoking since. no issues with acid reflux whatsoever.

i have not had a fill, no breathing problems. nothing. odd too, because before surgery...i would eat things, and EVERYTHING would give me acid reflux. everything...when i had my stomach scoped looking for ulcers or hernias (none there, whew)...they found i had irritation in my esophagus from reflux and i took prevacid for 6 weeks. ever since, NOTHING has giving me reflux.

i haven't had a "burning burp" for almost 2 months now.

I've never ever had acid reflux even before surgery. I just hate being a "smoker" LOL. In general I'm a nervous nelly about my band this past month. I've been stuck more times this month than in the past six months combined. I've finally reached the point where my appetite is in control but I'm not diligent enough to slow down and chew my food...so I smoke LOL.

My doctor told me that not only acid reflux would be an issue, but also the nicitine (however you spell it, its late and my eyes are heavy) can cause an ulcer. I myself smoked the morning of my surgery and didn't pick one up again again about 2 months after my surgery. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with acid reflux even though I had it horribly before surgery. Funny thing is, now that I have started smoking again, I have started losing weight alot faster than when I had stopped smoking. Anyone wanna help me out with that one?

I had my banding Oct. 14. I had lost 16 pounds before surgery on liquid diet.

I had quit smoking for 8 yrs and started again a year before my surgery. Which helped me lose about 15 pounds. Right before my surgery I was told I had to quit smoking or it would erode my band. I did quit the day before surgery. I lost 6 pounds post surgery on liquid diet. Once I was able to eat solid foods I started gaining weight. I have gained back the 6 pounds I had lost post surgery and I blame it on quiting smoking, because everytime I want a cigarette I eat. It's a vicious cycle. I have absolutely no restriction. My husband said I am eating more post surgery then pre surgery. I am going for my first fill on Dec 12th. I hope this helps. There are only a few things I have problems with, eating too fast and pannini bread. So with no restriction I'm afraid I will continue to gain weight.

Lorraine:crying:

missy.. I dont smoke and never have, but when I moved from liquids to food i also started gaining a few lbs back. I think it has a lot to do with on liquids you are only consuming about 500 calories a day and when you go to food it is considerably more.. I would suggest you measure your food and do not eat more then the amount your doctor advised. It will be tough until you get a fill, but the bad news is sometimes your first fill does not provide you restriction.. I am on my second and am finally getting some restriction, but I dont know that it is going to last much longer. They say it can take about 5 fills in the first year to reach your sweet spot.. OF COURSE every person is different and you may find restriction with your first fill, but dont get discourage or give up hope.. Just make sure the food you are allowed to eat is filled with Protein it will help to keep you full longer... Good Luck and best wishes..

Nicotine is a stimulant and that's why your losing more weight while smoking than not. I gave up cigarettes cold turkey 1-1-1999 and havn't had one since. I was a two pack a day smoker and the first two weeks were an absolute HELL - but after that it got easier with each passing day. I sincerely hope that all of you that want to stop smoking are able to reach that goal. (If only I could have given up junk food that easy)

I smoked heavy for 7 years before quitting. It was 9 years later, while going through pre-op appointments for the band that I was diagnosed with COPD. Nobody came here for a lecture, but trust me... do yourself a favor and pitch those things...

It makes me wonder if the docs are using the band as an excuse to get people to quit. I'm certainly no doctor but I don't really understand a direct correlation between smoking and band complications....

For those of you gaining after surgery and before any fills - that's normal. That's the period that I consider bandster hell. You'll have to count largely on your will power to get through this period without gaining weight. And it may be many months and fills down the road before you achieve satisfactory restriction. You just have to work hard and keep fighting. We've all fallen off the wagon - just dust yourself off and get back to business.

Brad

COPD is a very ugly disorder that causes an extremely ugly death and is primarily caused by smoking. See below What is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?:

COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary (PULL-mun-ary) disease, is a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe. "Progressive" means the disease gets worse over time.

COPD can cause coughing that produces large amounts of mucus (a slimy substance), wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.

Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Most people who have COPD smoke or used to smoke. Long-term exposure to other lung irritants, such as air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust, also may contribute to COPD.

Overview

To understand COPD, it helps to understand how the lungs work. The air that you breathe goes down your windpipe into tubes in your lungs called bronchial tubes, or airways.

The airways are shaped like an upside-down tree with many branches. At the end of the branches are tiny air sacs called alveoli (al-VEE-uhl-eye).

The airways and air sacs are elastic. When you breathe in, each air sac fills up with air like a small balloon. When you breathe out, the air sac deflates and the air goes out.

In COPD, less air flows in and out of the airways because of one or more of the following:

• The airways and air sacs lose their elastic quality.
  • The walls between many of the air sacs are destroyed.
  • The walls of the airways become thick and inflamed (swollen).
  • The airways make more mucus than usual, which tends to clog the airways.

Healthy Alveoli and Damaged Alveoli

healthy-vs-copd.jpg

The illustration shows the respiratory system and images of healthy alveoli and alveoli damaged by COPD.

In the United States, the term "COPD" includes two main conditions—emphysema (em-fi-SE-ma) and chronic obstructive bronchitis (bron-KI-tis).

In emphysema, the walls between many of the air sacs are damaged, causing them to lose their shape and become floppy. This damage also can destroy the walls of the air sacs, leading to fewer and larger air sacs instead of many tiny ones.

In chronic obstructive bronchitis, the lining of the airways is constantly irritated and inflamed. This causes the lining to thicken. Lots of thick mucus forms in the airways, making it hard to breathe.

Most people who have COPD have both emphysema and chronic obstructive bronchitis. Thus, the general term "COPD" is more accurate.

Outlook

COPD is a major cause of disability, and it's the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. More than 12 million people are currently diagnosed with COPD. An additional 12 million likely have the disease and don't even know it.

COPD develops slowly. Symptoms often worsen over time and can limit your ability to do routine activities. Severe COPD may prevent you from doing even basic activities like walking, cooking, or taking care of yourself.

Most of the time, COPD is diagnosed in middle-aged or older people. The disease isn't passed from person to person—you can't catch it from someone else.

COPD has no cure yet, and doctors don't know how to reverse the damage to the airways and lungs. However, treatments and lifestyle changes can help you feel better, stay more active, and slow the progress of the disease.

November 2008

I'm sooo glad I found this thread. I've been working on stopping smoking before my surgery and I can tell you it has been hard.

I know that you heal faster when you don't smoke and of course it is better for your health. Which is another reason why I've chosen to be banded...my health. But limiting food, stopping smoking and stoping taking harmone pills before surgery.....I feel like I need to hide away until I become a nicer person again....

At least I know now that I won't keel over if I slip up after surgery.

Thanks gentylwind. Excellent information to pass along.

I take medication daily, both inhaled and in pill form, to treat the symptoms of COPD. The disease, itself, is not cureable. My lung doctor makes certain that I get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot before the cold and flu seasons, because COPD patients are particularly succeptalbe.

For the most part, it's difficult to distinguish what symptoms are from the COPD and which are from asthma (which I also have). But for the most part I deal with constantly excreting mucus. It's like your lungs are trying to clean themselves out but they never get the job done. It gets annoying when you have to clear your throat and spit out mucus all the time.

Intense cardio exercise has made my breathing much better, not to mention has accelerated my weight loss.

Like I said in my first post - nobody likes a lecture, I know I didn't when I was a smoker - but do yourself a favor and do whatever it takes to quit smoking. Once you've quit and gotten away from the smoke for awhile you'll realize what an awful and disgusting habit it really is once you're around somebody who smokes.

Good luck and take this opportunity to get your lungs healthier while your weight gets healthier.

Brad

Edited by bambam31
addition