Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay and all these Fills!

How do you all afford this? I didn't get a package deal w/ fills because I went to TJ and had zero plans on going back.

I seriously considered the sleeve after a lot of reading about fills/unfills here and was told by my patient coordinator that I'd probably need 3 or so over the course of a year and that would be that. I was surprised that he was talking me out of a sleeve because it was his commission but whatever. I went ahead with the band.

I am looking at $425-$450 a pop for fills! I think even if I decided to fly somewhere else for a cheaper place,and say I even bought a package deal from some place like FillCenters, it would still probably work out about the same, just add in having to take time off work.

I read about people getting unfilled and think oh hell no, not after I just spent 450 bucks. Do you have to pay the same for an unfill? I just don't know if I can afford to have a fill or unfill every few weeks or so. :)

I was offered a package deal from a place in my area. $2k for a year of fills. I didn't think I would need to spend that much but after all the reading I've done, I think I might. Has anyone who is self pay had their fills covered by their FSA plans? At least then I could buy the package deal in Jan. when I elect coverage for the year and then pay it off out of my check pre-tax for the rest of the year. :Dancing_wub:

Well, that was pretty long but I've just really been wondering all this! :Dancing_sorry:

Wow, you are really paying a lot for fills...Have you "shopped around"? My doctor charges $150 a fill, and he gives me a 10 day window so if I think I need another fill he won't charge me. Why don't you post your location and maybe someone can direct you to a doctor with more reasonable rates.

Thank you for your reply, Tony. I am in San Francisco. Have been quoted by both Dr. Feng and LapSF. They are pretty comparable.

Being in a major city, I thought I would have more choices but not really! Bummer!

the doctor who did my surgery lists doctors in the states who will do fills on "us". he has these two doctors on his website...

Dr. Paul Cirangle

San Francisco Marin area

415 561-1310

Dr. Ajay Upadhyay

Oakland, California

510-465-5523

will only fill Inamed band and requires an operation report

$150.00 per fill

I am using my FSA to pay for my fills in Michigan. An FSA is a federal program that your employer offers you, therefore it has to cover what the IRS says is covers. It should cover your fills, because they are a medical procedure. If you go to the IRS website and read up on FSAs that should answer your questions.

Wow, I went to Tijuana and with everything combined from airfare/taxi/banding/meds - everything including all the fills I needed to get to goal AND unfill to stop loosing...

I spent less than $10,000.

If you get a good fill doc, one who goes by Inamed's guidelines...you'll get restriction in no time.

I am using my FSA to pay for my fills in Michigan. An FSA is a federal program that your employer offers you, therefore it has to cover what the IRS says is covers. It should cover your fills, because they are a medical procedure. If you go to the IRS website and read up on FSAs that should answer your questions.

----

Thanks for this info... I really need to look into this - I already it's offered by my employer, so I'll check the website regarding the coverage of fills.

Regarding the price of fills in Chicago - I've been quoted $250 first fill then $95 afterwards. I haven't gone for a fill yet; although my hunger has increased and I'm sure I could use one - just haven't made the call yet, since I am still losing a bit. My cousin had lapband 4 years ago and has only had 4 fills... she looks AMAZING!

Good Luck to you, the prices you are quoted seem very expensive.

Has anyone who is self pay had their fills covered by their FSA plans? At least then I could buy the package deal in Jan. when I elect coverage for the year and then pay it off out of my check pre-tax for the rest of the year.

I am a self-pay also, so I used the balance of my Flex Spending Account this year for reimbursement of my surgery. I only needed to FAX them a copy of my "Letter of Necessity" from my primary physician since I had several medical comorbidities. My surgical group will also write me a receipt for my fills ($100 each fill) to send to my FSA after January. The FSA was very quick to reimburse me. It helped take the "sting" out of the price!

Has anyone who is self pay had their fills covered by their FSA plans? At least then I could buy the package deal in Jan. when I elect coverage for the year and then pay it off out of my check pre-tax for the rest of the year.

I am a self-pay also, so I used the balance of my Flex Spending Account this year for reimbursement of my surgery. I only needed to FAX them a copy of my "Letter of Necessity" from my primary physician since I had several medical comorbidities. My surgical group will also write me a receipt for my fills ($100 each fill) to send to my FSA after January. The FSA was very quick to reimburse me. It helped take the "sting" out of the price!

Ok I am sorry but I am new to all this so could someone explain to me about this plan you all are on...I mean I have insurance but they will not pay for fills because WLS is not covered but they should be paying for the fills??? becasue it's necessary can someone explain to me or am I not reading this right???

Sorry. sorry, sorry I found it, I guess I should have looked up FSA first my job offers it but I am not on it but then again I have a year full of fills and unfills so maybe next year I will get on it...

Sorry. sorry, sorry I found it, I guess I should have looked up FSA first my job offers it but I am not on it but then again I have a year full of fills and unfills so maybe next year I will get on it...

It is nice to be reimbursed right away for medical expenses then just have a little bit taken out of your check at a time. Plus it's pre-tax. I use it for all my Dr. co-pays, prescriptions, heck even Tylenol. Last year I only elected $500 but this year I think I'm going for a lot more to pay for all these dang fills!

Kind of like an interest free loan! :smile2:

It is nice to be reimbursed right away for medical expenses then just have a little bit taken out of your check at a time. Plus it's pre-tax. I use it for all my Dr. co-pays, prescriptions, heck even Tylenol. Last year I only elected $500 but this year I think I'm going for a lot more to pay for all these dang fills!

Kind of like an interest free loan! :smile2:

WOW so this is what my boss has been after me to do, I have a diabetes medication for the rest of my life to take and the co-pay is $30 every month so I should opt for this and add some more incase I have to pay for my fills after June of next year...but am hoping that they pass it to cover it in next years medical budget its on the table...hmm something to really consider this program sounds like...I guess I never really thought about it thanks for explaining it...*calling personnel* :thumbup: