Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone eating cookies, cake, etc...

I was banded 6 weeks ago. I had my first fill (3 ccs) 3 days ago. I am still supposed to be on soft foods but I just had 4 Oreo Cookies and 1 1/2 graham crackers. Obviously my restriction has not kicked in yet and cookies are not allowed on my diet anyway. I realize I myself must stay away from the junk food and that the band won't do that for me, but if I werent hungry I would not have grabbed the cookies? Am I doomed?

I get what they call "head hunger" where I want a cookie or chips or something sweet. If I am actually hungry and it isn't time for me to have a meal, I will have two wheat thins. I have lost it a few times and had Cookies or chips, but it seems like if I eat even one, I want more. My dietician said to take a walk or do something to keep busy when this head hunger hits. It is normal for you to be hungry between meals at 6 weeks post op - I still am and I have had one fill.

Well, this is where its all about willpower. Lets be honest, you will be able to eat things like Cookies even with restriction. You need to make the decision to not eat them. I am just under 6 weeks out myself. So far no Cookies but I did have a small Peppermint Patty. An occasional small oops isnt going to kill you, but I stronly suggest you find healthy low cal Snacks availble. Four oreos is a pretty bad choice - One and a slice of turkey woulda filled you up (probably better as the Protein takes longer to get through your band) and would not have been so high in calories.

Good luck with learning to make good choices - it is a struggle for all of us. They gave us a tool but didnt fix the habits that got us this way in the first place!

No you're not doomed. But first of all 3 days on soft food after a fill is a little long but thats up to each doctor.

So what you're in is bandster hell. You don't have the restriction but you have hunger. You'll be just fine. From now until the time you gain restriction you kinda have ot consider it a diet. I know none of us like to diet and alot of us are here cause were not good at it :thumbup: But once restriction comes you will eat and food will not be appealing at all. Eat your Protein first and I promise with restriction when you get done you wont even consider trying to fit a cookie in lol.

I can't eat more than 1/2 a cup at a time and I have to eat it really slow. I get so full before the end I hope that I don't have to eat again forever. I no long have or feel hunger pangs I eat only by the clock.

You will get there! Good luck and don't beat yourself up.

Also remember the more you eat sweets, the more you are going to crave them. I notice this big time. I can go a long time without craving sweets, but the moment that I have some, I start craving them.

I can tell you 3 years into the journey and with good restriction I could EASILY eat 4 Oreos. I could eat a whole packet with ease. Cookies are one of those foods that you may never have restriction for - they are slider foods that chew to liquid and go down easily. Crackers tend to trip me up a bit more.

I am a bit of a carb addict and I quite regularly overindulge in cookes - its my worst worst habit. I've lost 120% of my excess weight and never quite beaten this vice. You dont have to be perfect. I figure other areas of my eating and exercise behaviour are very good so I dont beat myself up on this one. I try not to do it of course, but it happens, particularly pre period time, and it has not stopped me losing weight and keeping it off.

to me, eating Cookies has very little to do with being hungry. If I'm truly hungry generally I'll want something healthy. Cookies are more a head hunger or eating for stress relief food for me. That's something you have to work on yourself, but like i said, improvement in that area is what you need to achieve, not perfection.

I haven't gotten my first fill yet, will on Thursday, but I do have some restriction. food gets stuck sometimes if I don't pay attention. Every once in a while I crave something sweet and I have ONE cookie or mini donut, not a handful like I used to and I haven't gained weight, I have actually lost. I think the whole thing is about not depriving yourself, cause I think that the feeling deprived is why other diets have failed in the past. As long as we don't over indulge all the time I think we will be okay.

I went on a cruise. I had a few bites of dessert, and then had pizza at midnight. Iv cut way back on bad food, but not given it up entirely. You need to allow yourself a few treats, once in a while. Usually I stick to SF Jello or SF popsicles.

Oh I had a few Reeses Peanut Butter cups at Halloween and some totsie Rolls LOL

I figure sometimes it's OK as long as I am losing once in a blue moon it's OK to have a treat. I know on Thanksgiving I will have a tiny pices of apple pie, but no ice cream. I get pie thats sugar free with just the juice for sweeter.

No, you are not doomed. The band itself isn't magic (although I think it is sometimes).

During a time last year when I was sick - restriction really bad- I had to wait 4 days til an appointment for an unfill.

I could have boo hoo'ed, but I just did what I had to do. And I found it...peanut m&ms. Crazy as it sounds but I lived off them for a few days. I guess 3 packs a day as I didn't binge or overeat....just had Breakfast lunch and dinner.

So, it's okay. I have found the lapband system the weightloss system that doesn't require dieting, no avoiding certain foods.

Just eat less and make better choices. But that doesn't mean you have to give up pie or Cookies....or cake. Just eat less.

I had a cookie (1/2 of one) for the first time in months today. Bleh 1/2 way through I was so stuffed I had to put it down.

If you must... have something sweet, fruit or dark chocolate is the healthiest. I crave chocolate when i am pmsing.. and i eat it.. and then i am fine, just a piece or two.. will power.. hmm if we all had that would we have gotten the lapband? The lapband restricts how much u can eat.. not what u can eat.. :cursing: