Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 questions - just banded

Hubby has two questions....1. Can he lay on his side? Of Course not the side that the port is on. Do any of you sleep on your side? 2. He feels fine, other than the left side. This is where the port is....did you feel tight all on that side?

I could sleep on both of my sides about 1 day out of surgery.

It took me a few more night before I could sleep on my belly......I actually felt that the weight of sleeping on my stomach oddly comforting after my surgery....go figure!

I also found that I was a bit tight in my port area right after surgery as well. I think that might have had something to do with the way my surgery glue bonded....a little uneven. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I had that weird surgery indentation that I was talking about in an earlier thread.

Hang in there, I didn't envy my husband the night I was banded. I could not get comfortable from all the gas, and woke up every hour like clockwork :)

Edited by cattoy71

He can lay any way that he feels comfortable. If it hurts to lay on his port side of coarse he shouldn't. The way I sleep was on my port side, so what I did is put a pillow under my stomach and it didn't hurt at all. Feeling tight on the port side is normal. I still get that feeling when I get a fill. Good Luck and I hope your husband is feeling well.

Hi Denee..Tell Hubby congrats on his banding. For two weeks I was only able to lay on my right side with a pillow prompt up behind my back. I was also comfy on my back. Whatever makes him comfy. I doubt if he'll be able to lay on the left side and be comfortable. After my surgery I did experience a lil tightness and pulling on my left. Don't feel as much now. I am 3 weeks out, I am able to lay on both sides. I got so comfy I decided to try laying on my stomach today and got stuck. When it was time for me to get back on my side, it felt as though I was pulling something.

It may take a few days but lay in any position that is comfortable. I now feel very comfortable laying on my stomach. It helps with getting rid of some gas :)

I agree he should lay the way it works for him. I slept on my port side (sound like a ship LOL) my 1st night and stomach the second night . I didn't want adhesions and figured moving and stretching that way was a good way to make sure I didn't have them. The "idea" of mashing my stitches was worse than actually lying down. I did use a pillow to brace my torso night one.

and yes it's common to have pain and/or tight feelings throughout the surgical area but they should resolve if he breathes deeply and/or takes pain meds. Walking will help, too.