Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is it just me?

A Protein heavy diet does that to me. Protein foods are rich and heavy and they upset my stomach. I like lots of fibrous, lighter foods like good wholegrain bread, salads and fruit. So i dont do high protein, if I do, I walk around surreptitiously farting all day and then getting out of there before someone realises that horrid stench was me!

I was feeling the same way and my nurse told me to try and drink something warm. I did the hot tea since i'm not a coffee drinker and it helped. :thumbup:

I am having horrible gas all day it doesnt go away and it smells any suggestions? Gas x doesnt work already tried:eek:

No, it is not just you. It was much worse right after surgery but I still have some really bad days depending on what I eat.

A Protein heavy diet does that to me. Protein foods are rich and heavy and they upset my stomach. I like lots of fibrous, lighter foods like good wholegrain bread, salads and fruit. So i dont do high protein, if I do, I walk around surreptitiously farting all day and then getting out of there before someone realises that horrid stench was me!

It is actually the opposite. It is Fiber that really gives us gas (soluble Fiber that is). Fats and Proteins cause very little gas. I was instructed to take fiber supplements after banding and when I used them I was doubled over with gas pains and had to quit using it.

Soluble fiber is in foods like: Oat bran, Beans, peas and most fruits. These are the culprits.

To avoid gas, get your fiber from insoluable froms like: green Beans, leafy greens, wheat products, corn bran, seeds and nuts.

I have really bad gas all the time. My kids get so mad at me, like I do it on purpose. I hate it.

I noticed that the gas subsided about three months after surgery. Gassy days are rare now. I am eating the same diet as back then. Not sure what happened but I'm much happier now. GasX really didn't help much that I could tell.

Nope, too much Protein and heavy food does it to me. Like after eating Christmas dinner. It bloats me up. Fibre doesnt do it to me. I think its an individual thing, what your system likes. And having bad and smelly gas is a well documented side effect of extreme high protein diets. As it is of eating too much fibre too.

I think it is whatever your individual body is used to....if your body is used to processing certain foods, it learns to digest them without so much problem.

For instance ....beans.....if you eat them only occasionally they will usually gas you up something awful!!! But if you eat them in a small amount daily, you eventually have no issue with them.

Years ago, I had a roommate who was hispanic, and she ALWAYS had a pot of Beans cooked, and she ate them every single day with some meal, in all sorts of ways. Well when money got tight for us as it usually does young people-----I too began eating them---OMG I about blew us out of the house for awhile!!! But before long, I had no side effects from them at all.

So if you rarely eat high Protein foods, eating them WILL upset your digestive system....and cause gas, or diarrhea, or what have you. And if you give the fibrous, notorious gas causers a chance, you can adjust your body to them.

Well that is how I figure it anyway!!!! LOL

Kat

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I pass gas all the time and can never connect to anything that should have caused it. I do know when I eat my high fiber Cereal the mornings I go to the gym, I can count on gas in 4 hours after I ate it.

Some days I don't eat it and will be gassy all day. It's weird.