Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgeon gave little hope for weight loss w/lb

My dr just said the same thing last week. He asked me how much weight did I need to lose, I said 90-100, he said then expect to lose 55-60, he said the band helps you lose 55% of the weight you need to lose.

I came home and posted here too. I know from seeing results here, you can lose all of it, it is up to you and how much you work for it.

I did read that with LB you lose slower but it showed a gragh from Bypass and LB that within 3 years you end up with the same results, it just takes longer and that is what I would rather have.

I guess every dr has to start off with someone, lol. I wouldn't want to be his 1st but I guess someone had to be. Someone has to be their 20th, 30th, 40th and so on. I'm sure he knows what he is doing and will have someone there too, I would hope anyway.

I agree to make sure you trust your dr. I drive pretty far for mine since I knew he was good and even teachers others. He did my friends bypass.

Edited by Mrsace13

Yup, find another doctor.

Besides, if you decide lapband is for you, you want a doctor who has done more than 30-some-odd surgeries anyway. Besides that, they make more money on gastric bypass. And never forget, bypass is permanent.

I was told by my surgeon that about 60lbs was average for someone wiht my weight/BMI but I paid no attention to that. I have never been average! I have lost over 100lbs now.

I had my initial meeting with my surgeon and he told me I would only lose 40-50lbs with lapband, he was trying to encourage me to have gastric bypass. He has only done 30 some lb surgeries and the other surgeons at this hospital have also only done 30 some. This hospital just started doing surgeries last Dec. I know the lb is just a tool, I get it, I understand that. But could someone give me hope that I will lose more? I am at 243 now, was at 250 at my 1st visit the bariatric center. Thanks for all of your help!

I had lapband surgery on Oct 28th have lost 24 lbs. I believe if your willing to work at it, which means changing your old eating habits. I see that in the long run you can lose as much on lapband as gastric.

It is much safer. Dont give up. My doctor wanted me to do the gastric also. He said I would have to do 1 1/2 hours a day on the treadmill. I know it is more work but that does not discourage me. I dont believe I will need to do the treadmill that long either. I am going back to Curves, 3 times a week to help with toning. I will buy a treadmill to due besides. Have back & legs problems that prevent me to due alot of weights.

Thank you all for your responses. And kudos to you all for getting rid of your excess weight! I would like to find some before and after pics of people who have lost a lot of weight. I have looked on this forum and can't really find many, a lot of before or afters but not both. Those b and a pics are so motivating to me.

I think if I make my mind up I can get rid of all of this excess weight.

This link helped out too.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/can-only-hope-lose-65-excess-weight-22256/

Have you checked out the Lucky Seven thread? It is found under 2007 lapbands. There is a thread there called brag pics. Most of us are near or at goal and there are quite a few before and after pictures.

If you make up your mind that you can do it, you will. I started this journey at almost 300 pounds. I now weigh 175 lbs. I didn't think I could do it alone and if my doctor had told me what yours did, I'd most likely be over 300 pounds today. A lot of exersize makes a big difference. The lapband isn't a magic fix like bypass is. The band is only a tool. Use it wisely and it will work for you just great. Do nothing and what your dr. says is probably close to the truth.

GOOD LUCK

I was told by my surgeon that about 60lbs was average for someone wiht my weight/BMI but I paid no attention to that. I have never been average! I have lost over 100lbs now.

kAREN

I see from your signature, that you were banded July, 2007. Come join us at Lucky Sevens, a group of women all banded in July of 2007. We've had a good time here on line and it is a great support group.

COME JOIN US.

My dr just said the same thing last week. He asked me how much weight did I need to lose, I said 90-100, he said then expect to lose 55-60, he said the band helps you lose 55% of the weight you need to lose.

I just don't understand these doctors being so discouraging. Mine was the exact opposite. When asked what my goal weight was, being overweight my whole life, I thought for a second and decided I would be very happy at 160. He was like, why would you settle for still being overweight?...you need to set you goals higher than that.

Someone posted something similar elsewhere, except that said 50% of the weight you want to lose.

Id say the surgeon is wrong if that is what he said, look at the tickers of most of us. 40 or 50 lbs is a beginning weight loss. I had surgery in July and past the 40 lbs mark, past the 50 lb mark if you count what I lost presurgery.

Im for sure going to lose over 100 lbs. I think what he meant was some people dont do the work so on average many only lose that much. Its an average number, not because they couldnt lose more, some dont keep up with fills, dont exercise, dont try and expect the band to do it all. Those people wouldnt be as successfull with the band.

I started at 324 and have lost 45 lbs in 4 months. I haven't even gotten restriction yet. Why in the world did our Dr say only 30 lbs? I'd find a new doctor. If he isn't supportive before surgery, he surely won't be when you need him after surgery.

I would be absolutly thrilled to lose 70 pounds. I am 5'4 and 230 pounds. to be 160 again. Wow. I have a pretty high lean muscle mass. At least that is what I was told by the nutritionist. I plan to work out to continue to build my lean muscle mass. I coach volleyball and live on a farm, so I guess all that lifting and moving has kept me in shape (on the inside, under all of the fat, I am told that I am lean :rolleyes2: It is okay that the weight will come off a little slower. It seems like a more natural way to lose weight then having bypass surgery. However, to each their own. I have my visit with the surgeon next week. Hopefully a date for the lb will be discussed then. thank you all for giving me something to look forward to.

I too, defy my doctor's expectations. He said the same thing to me. 40 - 50 pounds. I've lost 70 with a surgery and complete unfill in between. He's changed his mind about the band based on my success. It IS possible to do just as well. Not to mention that 5 years out, we are better off than RNY. I'm looking at the long term, not the immediate success of it.