Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded and Frustrated

I was banded last year on July 3, 2007. In 15 months I have only lost 15 lbs. What am I doing wrong? Why is my weight not coming off? I know of other banded folks that were banded near the same time I was and they have lost 60 lbs.

Please e-mail me your suggestions.

Thank you.

I would start by asking how many fills you've had and at what level is your restriction.

Brad

Everyone is different. I dropped 30 pounds in my first 6 weeks.

Do you exercise? Do you eat sweet drinks? Do you eat ice cream?

something is not right!

I was banded in December 2007 and only lost 32 lbs. I just posted my story. (Go to search and type in "Medi Zone" to find my thread.) I, too, am extremely frustrated.

Edited by Sunny Skies

I feel bad for you...if you're doing everything right, this has to be extremely frustrating. Do you track what you eat on www.thedailyplate.com? That may really help you to pinpoint where you may need improvement. Moving more is a definite...even if it's just a walk every day. Good luck.

I too am frustrated with my weight loss. I lost 30 pounds after I was banded in May and I have had 5cc put in my 9cc band. I still do not have good restriction and can eat just about anything. I have managed to eat around my band these last six weeks and gained seven of those thirty pounds back. I am due for another fill next Monday and I am embarrassed to go see my doctor. Any encouragement would be appreciated.

I think unfortunately there is no real recipe for sucess with the band. The only key that I repeatedly see is exercise. It has taken me over 2 years to figure out what works and what doensn't for me. I do eat sugar(not as much) and have a diet soda a day. These are things that I feel if I give up it is just another diet like all the others that I can't stick with. The thing I did change was regular exercise. I have to move, move, move. When I didn't I didn't lose. My band tends to feel tighter(no clue why) when I exercise. So I guess I kill 2 birds with one stone. Track your exercise and food like the others have suggested and you should see where things could be improved upon. Trust me when you write it down it takes on a new dimension. YOU CAN DO IT! DON'T GIVE UP, JUST TAKE A DIFFERENT ROUTE! My favorite quote is "Don't confuse a single defeat with a final defeat". Good Luck and please let us know how things go for you ladies. Don't disappear on us!

I feel your pain I also was banded in Dec 2007 and have only lost 30lbs. I just received my 4th fill yesterday I hope things start to turn around soon.

I have found that eating alone does nothing for me. I average about 1200 calories per day and yet if I do not exercise I will lose nothing. If I get at least 3 days of good cardio in, I will lose a pound a week. I personally prefer running and the ellipital on non-running days.

For me the perfect recipe has been to get in 4 rounds of cardio/week and 2 days of weight training. The weight training has off set some of the actually weight loss, but I feel great and don't look like I weigh 181 (as of today.) At 181 I am starting to wear 14P.

All of that said - while nothing works for everyone, exercise is one heck of a magic bullet for most. If you are already exercising some, step it up. If you don't, get moving.

No movement on the scale is sooo frustrating. Hope all of you are able to make some progress from what you hear from others. Good luck you guys!!

As you will see when you read various posts, everyone is different and we all lose weight at a different rate. I had surgery on July 1, 2008. I've lost about 25 pounds since my surgery. There are times when I feel like this is much slower than I would like, but other times I think that this pace is probably just right for me.

Now to your question -- I have a few questions for you that may help you figure out why it has taken two years to lose 15 pounds. (Remember, at least you lost 15, rather than gained 15)

Are taking in enough Protein?

When was the last time you saw your doctor?

Have you had any fills?

Perhaps you should see another surgeon to get a second opinion.

Are you doing regular exercise, cardio? Weight training?

I still start everyday with a Protein shake. I do Pilates two times a week, cardio two times and weight training one time per week. Now, if another band patient did what I did he or she might have lost 50 or even 70 pounds since July. I try not to get caught up in how much others are losing. I try to focus on my successes.

Start by calling your doctor and make an appointment for a check up. Good luck.

I am sorry to hear of your frustration. I am waiting to find out if my ins. will pay for the surgery. I attend the nutrition and support group that was a req. of my surgeon, and the one thing everyone who comes to group says, it is the support and follow up that keeps you on task. If you are not meeting the min. wt loss targets of 1-2lbs/wk. start w/ your food journal. I realized once I started journaling again how much I actually was consuming. It was the food choices that cause me to go over the cal./fat limits. Once I changed that, I started to lose and become more aware of what I'm doing. It is a process, but you can do it.

Good luck,

Dawn

i recently had lapband surgery aug22,2008 i have only lost 33lbs, and my husband had surgery sept 5,2008 he has lost

50lbs. i am very upset and frustrated. i have had 2 adjustments for a total of 6cc my husband has had none. i don't know what to do to jump start my losing. he eats anything he wants cakes, chips etc. i do not. what should i do

It is great to read words of encouragement and also to hear of others' frustrations. I was banded almost 2 years ago and have only lost about 40 pounds. I eat sugar and don't exercise. I have been so successful in other areas of my life and am embarrassed that I have not been able to succeed with my weight loss. I know WHAT to do, I just can't seem to stay on track and do the right thing!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and for the words of encouragement!