Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get the hang of it

Ok, I had surgery on Sept 4th. Since then I have went for 1 fill of 3cc and then next day unfill of 1cc, then almost a week later of .5cc (because I was still having a lot of PB's and a lot of food hurt as it went down). That was about 4 weeks ago. Last week I went back for check-up/fill and had .5 put back in.

When I did go in for the fill the nurse practioner said that my lower stomach is full of gas. I have been taking gas-x and mylanta 3 times a day for the last 3 days. I can tell the gas is better, but I am still very burpy.

Before the last .5 cc's I could still eat a lot and got hungry about couple hours after eating. Every once in a while I would have some PB's but not that much.

Now with the .5cc's I'm back to PB'ing a lot and it hurts when I eat. For example I am eating ham and cheese right now. I was in a lot of pain and went to the bath room and PB'ed it all out. I am chewing the food really well, so I don't know what I am doing wrong. I feel that I am almost bulimic because I am PB'ing a lot. It also seems that I can only eat food that are not good for me. I am eating doritos right now and they go down fine. I know I shouldn't eat the doritos, but I have to have something to eat.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get the hang of it?

I know you think you're chewing enough, but my guess is you might not be. Try four things during a "test" meal (you don't have to do all four things all the time, but just while you're figuring out if it's your habits or your fill that is wrong) - (1) chew 10 more times than you have been for each bite, (2) take ridiculously small bites -- half of what you've been taking, (3) measure out 3/4 cup of food and only eat that during this test meal, and (4) for the first 3-5 bites, wait 2 full minutes between each bite, then you can speed up.

If doing all that, you can't eat 3/4 cup of real, healthy, food, consider an unfill. Only being able to eat Doritos is the enemy. I've been there, haha!

I finally got the ham down. I know I chew good enough, I make sure of that, my food is pratically liquid form before it goes down.

It sure seems that people have a lot harder times with more food than they state. eggs, Ham, Lettus, never heard anything about these foods and I have a hard time eating them.

I just tried to eat Water mellon and couldn't.

It sounds like your body is really sensitive to fills. The trauma of it causes some people to swell more than normal. Maybe try some liquids only until the swelling goes down then progress to mishies and then regular foods.

Bloom

I have a problem with all three of those things. Ham, eggs and salad.

I also struggle with fruit peels, like apples and grapes. Bananas are rough too.

I can however eat bread and Pasta.

You'll get it figured out. Best of luck!

I don't consider myself back to "normal" after a fill until about 3 weeks have passed. So, you could give it some time and see how it goes. I'm VERY sensitive to fills. I had one yesterday and I'll be on liquids/mushies for at least the next week. But, that's me.

I'm also one that can't eat chicken at all unless it's dripping in sauce and barely recognizable, but most breads don't seem to be a problem. It's a challenge to get all of my Protein in for the day, but you start to figure things out . . . like I can do a sunny-side-up egg no problem, but scrambled doesn't go down so well.

It takes time. Hang in there. But I would say unless you can't handle liquids and are running the risk of becoming dehydrated or malnourished, you probably just need to let your stomach heal after the fill. I personally drink Protein shakes during that time (and I LOVE the rapid weight loss, LOL).

Are you doing liquids only for 24-48 hours after a fill or unfill? If you do go back for an unfill, ask them to take.3cc out, that will leave you .2 up from where you were before and that might be your sweet spot.

Yes, I did liquids for the 24-48 hours after the fill. I had my last fill on Tuesday. I did good Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Friday is when I started to have problems. I had a really hard time this weekend also.

My husband is starting to get upset with me because I am cooking all these foods and then I can't eat them. Saturday I made some shrimp Soup. Its just Tomato juice, shrimp, onions, avocado and cilantro. Nope it wouldn't go down. I was able to eat some mac and cheese. Then last night I made chicken salad, and it came back up.

Ok so the mac and cheese went down, so today I got macaroni salad and its going down hard. Its not coming back up yet but its going down hard.

I also have been really gassy and constipated. I have been taking gas-x, milanta and stool softeners since Tuesday and its not getting better. I do not drink pop or through a straw. So I don't know what I am doing to become soo gassy. My nurse pract said that is probably why I'm pb'ing soo much is because of the gas. She told me to do liquids for 3 days but I am still gassy.