Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for all you Banders or Non Banders :)

The band is just a tool. If you start now you can be prepared to use your tool to it's fullest, or not use it if you don't need it. If you eat the lapband way, one cup of food, small bites, and chew, chew, chew, and then chew some more. I personal don't count calories but do keep track of my protien. I lost 40lb about four months prior to my band. Right now I am four or weeks post op and have about 60 or so more to go. Use this time to practice and then use your tool if you need to. Good luck......

I have not been banded yet. I have my first appt with the nutritionist and psych on 1-6-09. I will honestly say that I have tried the structured weight loss programs where I kept a food journal, went to twice-weekly weigh-ins, was "instructed" on how to eat and what to eat, etc, and I lost 25 pounds in 4 mos. I constantly felt like I was stuck eating the same foods all day every day, wasn't allowed to "cheat" and was told that eating salty foods or any type of sweets was "cheating" and I felt constantly deprived. What was wrong with me that I couldn't have a piece of cake at my cousin's wedding, and everyone else could?!?! Then I felt guilty when I did. I also constantly felt hungry, like I had a fireball in the pit of my stomach. It's hard to explain, but I liken it to how you don't feel your heart unless you're exercising and it's beating fast, and you don't feel your lungs unless you're holding your breath...most people don't feel their stomach unless they are hungry. I feel my stomach ALL THE TIME. I went on an antidepressant that had a side effect of appetite loss, and for one month, I DIDN'T FEEL MY STOMACH AT ALL!!! I lost 15 lbs in one month without even trying, and without being hungry. It was amazing. Then the effect wore off, and I gained the weight back because I was always feeling a hollow in my stomach. I am truly hoping and praying that the band will take away that constant hollow, hungry feeling in my stomach like the antidepressant did for that month. I know I always thought the people who could actually "forget" to eat were nuts, until it happened to me one day (when I was on the antidepressant) and I was shocked!!!

All I know is I have tried Slim-Fast, Dexatrim, an LA Weightloss-esque program, daily exercise at a gym for two months straight, and all sorts of other "diets" in between, and the weight fell off and came right back on. I'm hoping the band is the tool I need to get healthy, let the real me show, and become the person I've always dreamed I was, but was too fat to be.

Some people don't need the band or any other bariatric surgery and that's great. More power to them. But for those of us who need a boost over the hump, the band is there to help us. From what I've read, it's not a cure-all, but it's just another tool in the arsenal against obesity.

I do not believe I could do this without having the band. It does stop me from overeating. I have never thrown up, but if I try to eat too much it hurts. I was banded in May 2008 and have lost only 32 lbs, but one of the reasons for that is the lack of constant exercise. My husband had health issues a week after my banding that are still being resolved. I have had about three fills and the last one I had is working really well. My new problem is the hospital I had my surgery done in has discontinued it's bariatric program and now I must be transferred to another doctor!! But I will continue until I reach my goal!!!

Deb A, I have to say I hoped for and expected more help from my band than Im getting. I lost over 80 lbs with nutrisystem, so obviously I can lose if I diet and dont eat any sweets.

Guess what?? You still have to exercise daily and not eat the foods you want or only have a bite of them same as any diet. Will it help your hunger?? Yes, I suppose it does, but when it comes to snacking or bad foods, its a diet to me. If I quit exercising then I dont lose hardly anything, same as the above poster, who is losing so slow because she isnt exericising.

They asked me at a seminar I went to if losing only half my excess weight would be acceptable and of course I said no. I was the only one who still decided they wanted the lapband when they keep emphasizing that is the average. There are a lot of folks who dont post here who gain on the lapband. One was at our seminar. She gained 20 lbs and got diabetes and was having it removed and bypass.

Just be aware that you will be on a diet and if you dont exercise, results will be slow coming and its calories in and calories out. The band will just help your willpower slightly, but not the "oh I know that will taste good" or "head hunger". I really feel like I have been battling my way thru christmas to get the scales to consistently show below 180. Been bouncing around these pounds too long and doing a bit of cheating. It is cheating if you are eating key lime pie, and chocolate chip Cookies same as any diet to me.

I am allowing more cheating this diet than when I did nutrisystem where I lost really fast and gained it all back really fast. I dont want to feel so deprived so doing this slower so I dont just wake up one day and say I cant do this any more. Hopefully when I hit that day, the band will keep me from gaining it all back so fast. We have all been on too many diets. I just couldnt do one more diet without some help I decided. I was self pay for the lapband and each fill is $200 - $250. ($250 near me, $200 if I drive 5 hours). I would do it again, because I need it mentally. It took the surgery to get me to losing again, just couldnt start one more diet. We have all probably been there, done that. Hit a wall.

Hi all - I was banded in April 2008 and haven't lost any weight other than the liquid time. My Dr. believes there's a problem with the band and I'm having a second surgery next month. The problem right now is that the band is tight, lost of restriction as a matter of fact, except for junk - chips, chocolate, etc. - I throw most things up. Actually had some blood with it today for the first time. But the doctor isn't able to remove anything. Don't know what the problem is.

I'm really concerned because I have this strong restriction now but can't seems to manage it. How am I going to feel when I get the right fill (if they ever get a dam band working in me at all). I think it's too tight if I can't eat a small meal but the problem is I'm not losing anything because I feel the need to eat something and am eating junk.

I'm worried that I won't have this 'full' feeling when I get redone. I get the pain the chest when something is stuck but I'm not aiming for that.

Any advise?

Could I have lost almost 60 pounds without my band? Honestly, I could have . . . but I know I WOULDN'T have.

Well stated, San Diego.

I can't tell you how many times I lost a few pounds and gained it back then some. You all know what I'm talking about. With the band I have done nothing but go down, and there is no way in H_ll, I'm letting myself, emphasis on MYSELF put it back on.

HD Gloria I feel so bad for you. I was self pay, but Im sure its been an expense, in spite of not working properly for ya.

Try muscle milk to let the band rest for a while or some easy to drink liquid Protein instead of the junk. You dont need to have all these problems, everyone's fear.

Hi all - I was banded in April 2008 and haven't lost any weight other than the liquid time. My Dr. believes there's a problem with the band and I'm having a second surgery next month. The problem right now is that the band is tight, lost of restriction as a matter of fact, except for junk - chips, chocolate, etc. - I throw most things up. Actually had some blood with it today for the first time. But the doctor isn't able to remove anything. Don't know what the problem is.

I'm really concerned because I have this strong restriction now but can't seems to manage it. How am I going to feel when I get the right fill (if they ever get a dam band working in me at all). I think it's too tight if I can't eat a small meal but the problem is I'm not losing anything because I feel the need to eat something and am eating junk.

I'm worried that I won't have this 'full' feeling when I get redone. I get the pain the chest when something is stuck but I'm not aiming for that.

Any advise?

I had tons of band problems as well.

Please keep one thing in mind, if you can eat bad food you can eat good food. If you can drink liquid calories you can exchange that for a Protein shake. If you can eat chips and Cookies you can eat dried veggies (they are crunchy). If you eat eat chocolate you can eat soft cooked veggies such as carrots, squash, green Beans, etc.

I'd suggest going on liquids for a few days. If you are so irritated that you are vomiting blood you need to notify your doctor, go on liquids, and ease the swelling. It's a cycle, the more you vomit the more you swell, the more you swell the more you vomit.

Call your doctor, go on liquids to ease swelling, get rid of the crap food and start eating food that is better for you.

I had tons of band problems as well.

Please keep one thing in mind, if you can eat bad food you can eat good food. If you can drink liquid calories you can exchange that for a Protein shake. If you can eat chips and Cookies you can eat dried veggies (they are crunchy). If you eat eat chocolate you can eat soft cooked veggies such as carrots, squash, green Beans, etc.

I'd suggest going on liquids for a few days. If you are so irritated that you are vomiting blood you need to notify your doctor, go on liquids, and ease the swelling. It's a cycle, the more you vomit the more you swell, the more you swell the more you vomit.

Call your doctor, go on liquids to ease swelling, get rid of the crap food and start eating food that is better for you.

Thanks a lot Wasa - some valuable comments.

Did you have to have a second surgery? If so, what reason?

g

Thanks a lot Wasa - some valuable comments.

Did you have to have a second surgery? If so, what reason?

g

I just couldn't deal with band problems anymore. Absolutely nothing fixed it. Pretty much what you are describing. Just from past experience I really question if another band is going to help you. Some people just do not tolerate banding. What causes some minimal restriction such as stress, TOM, food temp, etc., causes obstruction in others.

I finally got a sleeve. No more barfing, sliming, foaming, and overall puking in ways I didn't know existed!

Be very careful, the bleeding is something I experienced too from vomiting and it really messed with my esophagus. I have esophageal motility problems now. It's MUCH better since getting rid of my band but it's not 100% yet.

Do any of you feel you could have done the same diet you are now without having surgery??

I joined the gym and paid for a trainer.. i am going to do the 1200 calorie diet and weigh the food like my binder says.. and only eat a cup of food etc, and do a Water diet one day a week.. do you think its possible? Or am i in a pipe dream of fairytale land??:blink::party:

My step-mother had R&Y several years ago. She was losing sooo well, even now, years later, she is 5'3 and around 115-120 pounds and maintaining well.

I had a BMI of 40 so I started the journey myself early the next year. My doctor said I was a better candidate for the band considering age/weight/health but my insurance only covered R&Y . . . and I could not afford surgery without insurance.

I did the 6 month supervised diet, took all the tests, was ready to finally schedule a date and my company changed their insurance plan immediately before surgery and had a nifty, new WLS exclusion in November of that year when I was scheduled for early December.

Needless to say I was devastated. More than devastated, I couldn't even appeal what I didn't have anymore and I felt like life was over.

So in desperation, I took my step-mom's diet and plan and followed it to a T starting in early December of that year. I lost 70 pounds fairly quick . . . it worked and I found like I had hope again . . . until I started to slowly but inevitably climb the scale again the year following.

Yes you can follow it and lose the weight with motivation and ambition . . . but the really difficult trick is in the long term maintenance. Hungry is hungry is hungry and it can only be denied for so long, and the band can help with that part of it so that you can find success.

I just couldn't deal with band problems anymore. Absolutely nothing fixed it. Pretty much what you are describing. Just from past experience I really question if another band is going to help you. Some people just do not tolerate banding. What causes some minimal restriction such as stress, TOM, food temp, etc., causes obstruction in others.

I finally got a sleeve. No more barfing, sliming, foaming, and overall puking in ways I didn't know existed!

Be very careful, the bleeding is something I experienced too from vomiting and it really messed with my esophagus. I have esophageal motility problems now. It's MUCH better since getting rid of my band but it's not 100% yet.

Haven't heard of 'a sleeve'. What's that? How's it work?

I've just had my first fill, but can tell you now that I could not lose weight, and keep it off, without this tool (of course I'm assuming this will be successful) I've tried most of the diets, even had short term success with a couple. But in the end, I eat too stinkin' much. The weight came back plus 10 or so with every fad diet I tried.

The biggest problem for me is hunger and not knowing when I'm full. I know the hunger part has a significant psychological component. Even without a fill I've noticed a significant decrease in how much I eat. This is not a diet. You can cheat the band, eating stuff that is high calorie and goes through easy. But that sort of thing wasn't my problem. Now that I can only consume limited quantities at a time and still feel full, I know I can succeed.

Ok, I have started this wonderful journey went to the pcp a month ago then 6 weeks later went to the Orientation, which i do have to say is inspiring. Not towards the band lol. Well they gave us a binder, with what we can and cant eat and so on.

I am starting to think i wonder if i can trick myself. Like not cancel any of my appts which next isnt even for 2 months, but to keep on track for my banding, but do the diet to a T and everything.. The dr said the band was just that, and its not a miracle and so on, and that the job was ours to change how we feel about food.

Do any of you feel you could have done the same diet you are now without having surgery??

I joined the gym and paid for a trainer.. i am going to do the 1200 calorie diet and weigh the food like my binder says.. and only eat a cup of food etc, and do a Water diet one day a week.. do you think its possible? Or am i in a pipe dream of fairytale land??:):)

Aud, I did come accross the Lap-Band diet prior to banding. I followed it for one week and gave up. It is extremely difficult for I was used to eating so much more. I was crazy hungry and couldn't hang on.

The Band helps so much with fullness and hunger.

Anyway, I'm not saying you can't do it, because I did - but I didn't finish it. You might have more will power to do it. Try it and see how it turns out, but in the mean time, I do not suggest cancelling anything you have going on in the interim. Most docs prefer you lose weight prior anyway to shrink your liver.

GOOD LUCK!