Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Mom was all for me getting the LapBand until..........

Hello Everyone. I have been researching the LapBand for well over a year now and I am finally going through the process. All I am waiting on now is my Psych Eval and Im good to go!:)

Now my problem is...............:)

My mother has heard that alot of women/men have gone to become real bad sex/drug/alcohol addicts after the surgery, because they are so used to having food as their comfort and no longer have that, so they rely on other unhealthy things to comfort them and now she is afraid that may happen to me. So she is now trying to talk me out of havin the surgery. :):) Have you or someone you know experienced this??

I can understand her point too, but I truly don't think that would happen to me. Thanks in advance for all of your comments.:)

No offense...I am sure your mother means well.

LITERALLY, I have NEVER heard about this and do not know any with the band who this has happened to. I am sure it 'can' happen but it's probably extrememly rare. Not as 'common' as she 'thinks'...

Good luck!

Wow ! Prior to my surgery I spent months and months researching the banding process, surgeons, after care, long term issues and so on and I have never heard of such a thing. After my surgery none of those thing happened to me or anyone that I know of. Sounds like someone maybe trying to scare Mom and you. Unfortunately there are some pretty dark spirited people out there that enjoy upsetting people.

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking too. I really wish my mother wouldn't listen to other people!!

Some people do turn from one "bad habit" to another but it's rare. That's what the psych eval is partly for, believe it or not, to try to catch those with issues (so they can be helped pre banding). I honestly believe it happens more with bypass but can't back that up with data LOL

Anyway tell your mom you had a psych eval and that won't happen to you.

If you become a gambling drinking sex-crazed maniac, you can just get a slight unfill LOL (teasing really)

She's just worried about you. The psych thing should put her mind at ease. :w00t:

Hi there -

Actually, during my psych eval she did tell me that people who go through weight loss surgery have a higher incidence for abuse than the "normal" person. This is because most people who have a weight issue, use food as their comfort. When you no longer have that, there is a higher chance of turning to other "bad " things. If you think you have an addictive personality, just be sure to be aware of this and get help if you feel that need surfacing.

I think most people swap one addiction for another, wether it be healthy like gym, drawing, tap dancing or bad like sex, drugs and alcohol. I'm getting addicted to life and my relationships are changing around me. Other people might think that i'm changing for the worse but i'm getting a back bone and not putting up with other people walking all over me. Hope this helps.

I heard that the band helps us to "eat to live" not "live to eat'. I will be getting banded in 3 weeks and am hoping for that mindset.

RM...You are a HOOT!!! I busted a gut laughing :w00t: at your response. I fully agree with your serious comments though!

Some people do turn from one "bad habit" to another but it's rare. That's what the psych eval is partly for, believe it or not, to try to catch those with issues (so they can be helped pre banding). I honestly believe it happens more with bypass but can't back that up with data LOL

Anyway tell your mom you had a psych eval and that won't happen to you.

If you become a gambling drinking sex-crazed maniac, you can just get a slight unfill LOL (teasing really)

She's just worried about you. The psych thing should put her mind at ease. :w00t:

Yes, I have heard this to be true as well. My surgeon and bariatric team, plus counselor warned me about this. And I believe Oprah did a special on this last year with Carnie Wilson.

I believe if you have a strong support system you will be okay.:w00t:

I too been doing a lot of research on Lapbanding. I never heard anything like this before. My Phsy person told me that I could not drink any Alcohol. I would not worry about this at all.

Yeah, im not worried about me doing any of these at all. I was basically just wondering if anyone has heard of this or gone through this themselves. I am still going through with the surgery and my mom will just have to see for herself that im not going to become an addict to any of those things! I know she just worries, but eventually she will see everything turns out alright in the end! :w00t:

This was also discussed during my pysch evaluation. She mentioned all those things and shopping also. To be honest with you, no sort of addictive behavior has crossed my mind or crept into my life. I had the surgery on June 19th 2008 and I can tell you that Life is Great!! I am happy and lead a totally normal life.

Wishing you the best!

lucy

Well, It has been 2 years now and no addictions for me AND my mother is wanting to get the LapBand done now! LOL :D:P