Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded - have questions

I was just banded on Monday 10/27/08 and I am suffering. I really didn't think I would feel this bad. The gas pains are probably the worst. Is this normal?

I also have awful incision pain - only one of them though - the biggest one. I wasn't expecting this. I'm assuming it's the incision where the band was inserted through. It's probably a good 3" long, w:crying:hich I wasn't expecting either.

Now - I can't figure out if I'm hungry, or if it's gas pains, or what?? I am really, really struggling.

Any words of advice?

the only advise that I can really offer is to use a heating pad for the gas pains - its really worked for me. Walking is also helpful for the gas...just walk around the house to keep yourself moving. and just remember that it will get better soon.

Walking really helps with the gas. Also, your biggest incision is probably your port. Good luck on your journey!

I had terrible gas pains also, Gas X did nothing, but walking and the heating pad were great. I also showered and let the hot Water hit my shoulder where the gas pain was the worst. Hang in there it will get better. Walk, walk, walk

I just was banded on 10/14. Walking helped, using the heating pad, a pillow, and make sure you keep hydrated sometimes it helps the gas get out! I hear GasX strips help, but I didn't use them because they never helped me before. The things that helped me the most was to relax, watch some movies, take naps, and not try to do too much. This is still abdominal surgery and it takes a while to recover- my stepmom felt the same way and she survived a double masectomy (no stranger to pain).

I was banded June 13th and I had the same surprises that you had. I didn't expect my port scar to be as big as it was and the gas pain was a total shock! My doctor never even mentioned it. It does go away in a few days though. All I can say is WALK WALK WALK!! It is the only thing that helps the gas pain. Also, be prepared for the tight pulling shoulder pain that most people have right after the gas goes away. It's just pain from the muscles tightening after they were cut. That also goes away!

But I am almost 20 weeks out and down nearly 70 pounds...WOOHOO! My scars are all fading, including the port scar! It's all worth it and it all gets WAY better. Hang in there...you will be fine.

weight.png

I ended up taking liquid tylenol and walking for my pain. It will get better. Mine was the worst about 4 days in and then slowly went away. For the large incision your port is in that area so it will take longer to heal. At least that is what i was told.

You guys are great!!! Wonderful advice. I am getting my heating pad now - my doc didn't even mention heat for the gas pains - just walking and Water.

Also - I wasn't expecting my port incision to be where it is. I thought it would be more on my left side. Mine is still on my left side but pretty much right in the middle between my side and belly button. Isn't this unusual?

No, I think it all depends on your doctor where your port incision is located. But from the sound of it yours is exactly where mine is. Mine is slightly above my belly button and slightly to the left. Don't worry so much...I know it's all very scary at first. I even regretted doing it at first but about 10 days post-op you start feeling like yourself again and it just gets better from there.

weight.png

I was in a lot of pain after surgery too. I was banded on the 15th of this month and I can tell you that I feel almost 100% again!!! The gas was the worse for me too! WALK, WALK, WALK!! As hard as it may seem or as simple, it really does help. My incisions are still tender but were cut really well. The biggest incision is where your port is. That's the one that hurt the most. The morphine didn't even touch that pain!! Hang in there!!! IT DOES GET BETTER! :)

PS-THE GAS X chewable TABLETS HELPED WITH SOME OF THE GAS BUT DIDN'T TOTALLY ELIMINATE IT.

The large incision is probably where they attached the port. My surgeon told me that the dicomfort around the port incision would gradually subside over about 2 weeks. As for the gas, bloat and some bonus shoulder pain (all normal stuff I'm told) that I had, it pretty well eased up the more that I walked. The first 3 days were the worst but I definately felt much better day 4 and steadily got better. It's only been 10 days since I was banded but overall I feel pretty darn good. Hang in there it will be better soon.

I haven't had my band yet but I've had several tummy surgeries and always had the gas and pain (especially under my shoulder blades where the gas settled). The walking definitely helps along with sleep propped UP! They always told me laying flat was what let the gas get trapped, so if you can prop yourself up on some pillows at night. Hope you feel better soon!