Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

snacks or no snacks

My nutritionist and Dr's program says 3 meals a day/no Snacks. All my life I heard it helps to have small snacks to keep your metabolism going. I am noticing as people post their meals most bandsters are having snacks. I would like to hear from you...snacks or no snacks?

My program says no Snacks. But I have had a snack occasionally - like 3 Wheat Thins or a No Sugar Added Fudgesicle. The hard part is stopping at just that snack - so most of the time I try not to have a snack.

My nutritionist and Dr's program says 3 meals a day/no Snacks. All my life I heard it helps to have small Snacks to keep your metabolism going. I am noticing as people post their meals most bandsters are having snacks. I would like to hear from you...snacks or no snacks?

i work all day and i usually get hungry between Breakfast and lunch. my snack is a v-8 juice.

My surgeon says NO Snacks.... Not never, not no how.....

Well, I'm usually pretty good with that. I don't snack mid morning or mid afternoon. BUT..... I go to Water aerobics three times a week. I get home around 7:30 and I'm RAVENOUS. Something about working out in the Water makes me exceptionally hungry. I can't wait an hour before dinner is ready, and that's my weak time. I hit the chips and crackers. I've discussed it with my surgeon, and he has now allowed me to eat a light snack BEFORE working out on my aerobics days. The only things he allows are a dozen almonds, a piece of LF string cheese, a slice of turkey lunchmeat or a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. Those are my choices. I've tried it a few times and it does hold me off. He's also told me I should be eating dinner earlier. That won't happen. It's either 8:30 at night, or not at all. I'm not going to get up at 4:00 am to exercise in the morning. They don't even have water aerobics at that hour. right now.... I'm doing the best I can.

i think most strict programs say no Snacks, but it's my body and i do what i want--as long as it's food that won't hurt my band.

I do, however, notice i lose less when i snack (i'm in a snack mode the last week or two). i bought a few different kinds of 100 cal. packs and i will never...do that again (ok well i'll try not too, hehe). See, i eat them because i like the taste of them..not because i'm hungry. i stayed the same last week because i had 2 Snacks a day...these 100 cal things..ugh. i need to cut it out!!

so my answer is use your judgement. you know what is right and wrong..and what is overeating and what is not. ya know? some weeks you may need it...others you may not.

As a rule, we should not snack between meals. But we are all human and every once in while we do need a little snack. Of course you have to keep your senses about you and make sure you do not go crazy with it. Make sure it is a band-friendly choice. And keep these indulgences to a minimum...say two or three times a week. I keep sugar free popsicles and fudgsicles for sweet Snacks but mostly go for South Beach Protein bars because it gives me my goody fix and I get a little extra Protein (they come in Peanut Butter, chocolate and cinnamon raisin). But I have never eaten a full bar at one time. I break off half a bar and tell myself if I want the rest later, I can have it. The half bar always does the trick though. I have had a couple (Two) crackers with cheese when I really "needed" a salty carb.

In addition to my three meals per day, I also have a mid-morning Protein shake. I don't consider that snacking though, it is to me, a protein supplement AND because I have an early start to my day, I have Breakfast at 6:00 AM and lunch at 12:30PM so the shake helps to keep me from getting too hungry before lunch.< /p>

Hi:

I need a snack in the late afternoon or I get too tight to eat supper. My doctor and I discussed it and a piece of fruit or yogurt or a cup of Soup works for me around 4 o'clock. I usually have sugar free popsicles at night - yummmmmm.

Sue

As a rule, we should not snack between meals. But we are all human and every once in while we do need a little snack..

i think your activity level plays a large role in your snacking. for instance i just got home from the gym, not ready to each lunch this early - yet i'm starving; and with weight training it's suggested to get some Protein in 20mins after a wkout. so i'm snacking on some colby cheese to hold me over.

very rarely do i just have 3 meals. again depending on my activity level, i may have 1-2 Snacks a day. i try to keep healthy items on hand & my Snacks are generally very small in portion.

My nutritionist and Dr's program says 3 meals a day/no Snacks. All my life I heard it helps to have small snacks to keep your metabolism going. I am noticing as people post their meals most bandsters are having snacks. I would like to hear from you...snacks or no snacks?

You are right about the metabolism. I think some people just can't seem to eat the right stuff for their snacks & that's why doctors say no. Personally I'm doing 6 small meals a day to kick start my weight loss.

My program also says "no snacks" but when I read the rationale for this it simply states something along the lines that people tend to overeat if Snacks are allowed (nothing about how it might stretch the band, etc.) That doesn't seem like a good enough reason to totally restrict a snack, in my mind.

As long as your calorie intake for the day is low and the snack is healthy, I don't see why you can't have one.

They told me the same thing, but I have 12-14 hour days (when I am out of the house) and NEED to snack, especially with working out.

I brought my food diary to my dietician and she looked over it. She said the snacking was fine, and especially since I keep such careful records of my calories, fat, Fiber,carbs, etc. (I use Calorieking.com, which is so easy and fun!)

Anyway, she said that the 3 meals a day guideline is easier for most people because many people don't track calories much, and it keeps them from cheating. Since I snack and maintain my low calories, she said I was fine!

A lot of people associate "snacks" with chips, candy, popcorn, ice cream and so forth! Not good things to snack on. They do base this stuff on research, so there is a reason to the strange things they tell us, however, if you can work around it and still do a good job and lose weight, then do it.