Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok - I am just going to say it - Constipation

Please - what are you all doing?

When I went for my post op visit the Dr asked about regularity, he wanted to know if I have a BM daily or how many times a week. I almost laughed in his face. I told him I would kill to go once a day again. I was told to drink more water!!! Give me a break.

So he said I could take Colace. I was afraid to take too much, I guess you can take up to three pills. One and two don't work, so I am trying three. I hope they work. And if they do, you stay on them forever? I have tried baby prunes and I had hoped he would say I could take Benefiber or something. Nope, drink more Water. DRINK MORE WATER!!!

I had IBS so I am not use to this. All I had to do was get nervous or eat something too fatty and YIKES.

I thought for sure once I started eating mushies everything would become more normal. NOT

So, sorry for the question, but what do you do? Or am I the only one who still has trouble. :w00t: Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I haven't had lap band surgery, but I still feel for your situation with the Constipation. I'm new to this site and still learning about what all is involved with LBS and what your restrictions may include, so keep that in mind. :w00t:

Here are some natural suggestions for constipation relief that you may be able to try. The Water suggestion is very valid, particularly for people who DON'T drink enough, but quite often that is not the problem.

Good oils (the Omega 3,6,9) are very helpful. If you can take some good quality fish oil or plant based oils like (flax, barrage, etc.) that may work for you.

Salba is also pretty effective. It's a tasteless grain that can be sprinkled on your food (about 1 tsp.) and should get things moving.

If you can take Herbal Fiberblend, I consider that to be the best option. It's soluble and insoluble psyllium Fiber combined with a range of herbs that work beautifully to gently cleanse out the colon and help heal the lining of the intestines.

Hope you find one of these ideas to be of help to you.

Blessings,

Angie

I am finally normalizing. Much like you I lived on colace those first weeks. I'm 1 month and 3 days post op, and for almost a week now I've been regularly almost every day. No meds needed.

Teri

Teri at least I have something to look forward to. I am trying to pick the most high Fiber foods. But - It is hard when you are still on the mushie phase. Thanks for your input. Debbie

I even drank fiber all Water addative YUCKY! They tasted like cardboard really! It didn't help.

Hope you get working again regularly.

teri

Hi there!

I was glad to see your post.....so I know I wasnt alone in this department! I had my surgery Sept 30 and it took my 3 weeks to go on my own.....I use to be an everyday "pooper' now it seems to be every few days and it is strange to me! My doc told me not to worry that I am not taking as much in so there isnt as much to come out! Hang in there and hopefully we will all become "regular" soon! Other than, how is everything else going?

Chris

I even drank fiber all Water addative YUCKY! They tasted like cardboard really! It didn't help.

Hope you get working again regularly.

teri

Teri, thanks for the warning. When I go back to the Dr I am going to mention my PROBLEM. I am taking 3 colace a day, nothing. I eat prunes, I drink Water, I walk, I eat Beans for fiber.

I think tomorrow, regular milk. Lactose intollerance would be better than nothing.

I even saw those fiber chewable pills, orange flavor, but I am afraid, really afraid. What if the fiber just stops it up more.

So what, the IBS had to go completely away?? I couldn't have just a touch? Good grief! Debbie

Deb,

I know you are on mushy food but I have found something that works! I peel an apple and eat about 4 slices. It is the only thing I have found (except for that other thing we discussed. yuck!) that works really well.

Deb, I know what you mean! I also had IBS, used to go many times a day. Now I am lucky if it is every other day or less. You might try some of the yogurts with the Probiotics in them. I have some cheese (Kraft Live Active [they also have cottage cheese that is Live Active]) that has the live cultures in them and they seem to help. It sure is a change for me though, nice to not have to worry about the IBS though.

Hi all!!

I had surgery 11 months ago and it comes and goes...My doc said that Milk of Magnesia would be okay with the band to help and it does but I have tried eating one of those Danivia yougart to helpinstead of Milk of Magnesia...Good luck

Debbie~ Like you, I am an IBS veteran and am not used to consipation at all! I nearly went to the ER on Saturday because I was so miserable. I ended up spending the entire day back and forth in the bathroom Trying to go. I got the hives and even fainted once....it was ridiculous!

I finally went...after a glycerin suppository and 3 stool softeners.

I've been using benefiber regularly this week and taking the stool softeners too! My mom made me promise to buy an enema to keep on hand so that I don't ever get a repeat of last weekend.

Oh, and to top it all off....I was home alone with my 4yo! LOL

I don't have much to add.. but it is nice to know this is normal. I ended up calling my doctor about this after I hadn't "gone" for 5 days.. I was told to take Miralax. Up until this week I had been taking it 1-2x a week. But I am happy to report that things are starting to move on their own again. Yayy! I'm not sure if its the increase in veggies, or the Edamame I've been snacking on.. but whatever.. I'm just happy to not have to take the Miralax.

Debbie, I guess this was the one place that we were not the same. I haven't had real trouble. During the liquid stage, my IBS was there with me the entire time. As a matter of fact, it is still there. The only time I had trouble was when I took the high powered pain killers. I wish that I could give you all some of my "relief". I have had a little too much "relief" lately. I hope that you all find a solution soon!