Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice. 30 Pre-Op / Nervous & in the NESTING Stage.

Hi Friends,

Okay... so my surgery date is November 18th (exactly one month away), and I'm becoming somewhat of a basket case. It's all I can think about and most of my energies are geared toward how to prepare for this. My boss might be feeling my slack in work by now! LOL. Anyway, I think I'm doing the "nesting" thing; like constantly going on different websites to search for post-op 2-4 week foods, products, etc. I'm getting confused and frustrated by the extreme amount of websites/products you can find on the Internet -- especially while trying to choose the best whey Protein Shake powder/liquid. Those of you who have been through this - can you give me some suggestions as to what is the best Protein Powder or liquid I should buy? Also, should I always lean toward the powder product or is it okay to get some of the ready-to-go liquid shakes for convenience. So far, I ordered BSN Lean Dessert chocolate fudge Protein powder and and Designer chocolate Whey Powder. I figured I'd buy two to see which one tastes better. I am a chocoholic, but wonder if I should get a "natural" or vanilla powder so I can mix sugar-free flavored syrups with them??? Did you guys always mix your protein powders with milk and did you blend ice cubes and flavoring with it? And what about those protein liquid "bullet" things? Is it wise to keep them in too? Really, what I'd love to know is what you "bandsters" bought in advance to get you through the first 2-4 weeks post surgery. I'm also not sure what else to buy - such as broths, clear liquid beverages, etc. I want to be sure I attempt to ingest the needed 60 grams of protein per day, but not really sure what products are best to help me meet that end.

I know I'm rattling on... but I'm a totally anal, type "A" personality and won't be satisfied until I have everything stored in my house ahead of time - to help me to be as successful and healthy as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Warm regards,

Lori (pseudo "Lauren")

Hey there,

I just got my surgery date of November 10th earlier this week, and from what you are describing we seem to be going through THE SAME EXACT situation at this moment. All I can think about is this surgery. I start my pre-op diet this coming monday. I have found I feel the greatest tasting drink. It's made by Isopure. It's a zero carb no sugar, 40grams of Protein pure drink. I will be having two or three of these a day. I suggest this drink to people who like fruity flavors. After buying about three or four tubs of protein powder and trying them, I disliked all of them. So this was an expensive buy. I bought five 12 pack cases at Vitamin Shoppe for $42 a case. But I feel that you should really like your liquids your consuming while doing this liquid diet since it's going to be tough. It also gave me variety on what Im having. I got 5 different flavors.

I too am going through a nesting stage. Im moving things around in my apartment, I've cleaned out the pantry and cabinets. Im buying cookbooks for after surgery. I have also just purchased "the emotional first aid kit-a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery.'

Has anyone watched the procedure being done on youtube? I can't get away from youtube. I want to know exactly what to expect after surgery. But Im finding that out. I feel by knowing exactly what to expect, and you know what your getting yourself into, then you won't be so scared going into this.

Hi Lori,

i was banded 11 days ago. Basically i went with my nutritionists instructions, they should be telling you what you can have post-op. I have found through reading this site that every surgeon is different with what they require.

that being said, i use the designer whey Protein mix (chocolate & caramel peanut chocolate) the first 3 days i had to mix them with Water (not great) then i could switch to FF milk. i like them, it tastes like chocolate milk. My first week, i could only have Protein Shakes (3xs a day) and clear broth and Jello. now i have to continue with the protein shakes and can have cream Soups, pudding and yogurt!

Some things i do recommend having with you are chapstick & gasX strips, possibly liquid tylenol, i got chewable brands of my Calcium also because you probably won't be able to swallow pills.< /span>

Don't forget some good DVDs , books, and magazines to keep you entertained while you are recovering!!

Hope that is somewhat helpful. Good luck!!:tongue_smilie:

Ditto! Me too.

My surgery is on November 11th and I have difficulty focusing at home and work. I am really fixated on this procedure and cannot wait for it to happen. It has been a year long process, so now it is time to move forward.

I read a lot of the posts to help me make my shopping list for my post banding supplies. Plus, my surgeon and nutritionist have provided me a list, but really there is nothing like "User Feedback."

Anyway, good luck to you.:tongue_smilie:

Hello, I'm almost 8 weeks post-op and remember very well the emotions you're experiencing. (It's SO worth it!) I really like the Body Fortress Protein powder ($13 at Wal-Mart) mixed with SF Almond Breeze (can get at Trader Joes, Fry's, etc.). Both the Protein powder and the almond milk products come in vanilla and chocolate. I mix in a Magic Bullet with ice cubes and it's really delicious. I also bought a powdered peanut-butter product called PB2 from www.bellplantation.com (which I saw recommended on this site) is great in the chocolate version. That has really satisfied my sweet tooth, as I was also a chocoholic (it feels GREAT to say that in past-tense). I only have them once or twice a week max now, however, due to the calories. I'm easily able to get my protein in with lower calorie solid foods. (I did have one protein bullet a week or so post-op and it was just so-so, but it did give me a nice boost when I felt week and couldn't consume much at all.)

Just a word of caution, though, it's very easy to over-estimate what you'll need during that 1st month. I still have a cupboard FULL of liquids/mushies.

Well, good luck on your journey. I think this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. (BTW, I had NONE of the gas pains that seem to be so prevalent, and attribute that to getting up and walking every hour immediately after surgery.) Keep us posted!