Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 Days~ Join me please!

Well, my doctor hasn't said anything about the lack of weight loss because I haven't seen him since surgery. Apparently, you have to beg to see the doctor for follow-up visits, at Hurley anyway. All I have ever seen was the fill nurse and the dietician, with the exception of the last visit - I got to see the PA! Don't get me wrong, the nurses and PA and dietician are very well educated, I just would like an MD's words of wisdom every now and then.

There are a couple of things that I've not done right -- I don't get enough Protein and I consume too much junk (because it doesn't get "stuck" like other foods do, some call these "slider" foods) AND I don't exercise. The band is only a tool -- it will control your portion sizes; however, if you don't commit to making changes in what you eat and drink (chips, ice cream, high cal drinks) you will not lose weight.

I have had 7 fills, and 1 slight unfill last Dec because of persistent vomiting (6 times a day). My stomach was just too sensitive to give the size fills that they normally give - it took me more time to adjust to each fill.

No one has ever suggested that I may have a slippage. However, they are doing Fluid checks on me right now to rule out a leak. Few weeks ago I lost ALL my restriction, after having a large fill by a not-so-experienced fill doctor (not at Hurley - I tried to save myself some miles) so I went back to Hurley to see what the problem was. I should've had 3.5 cc in my 4 cc band - only had 1.5 cc. Don't know where the other 2 cc walked off to. Could be a leak or could've been a careless fill (withdrawing the needle improperly can cause Fluid to lead back out). Hafta go back in a week or two to have it drawn out and measured again to see if there is a leak or not.

But, most of my problems have been within my control - I just didn't have my head in the right places.

Gook luck to you - and remember, every surgery has its risks; however, they are fairly minimal with the band. It's a good tool - if you are willing to work with it. I am now - but wasn't for the last year and a half. It takes some changes that you have to be willing to make, and some trial and error to figure out what you can eat and what you can't eat - everyone's different.

Thanks so much for your candid reply. You are right weigh loss really is about your mindset. I am learning that again. I had a good run with WW after 6 years on and off and it was because I madeup my mind that I had to give it my all this time and it did work. I became really fustrated when I lost (only) 45.6 pounds and increased my exercise and that didn't help and it al came back slowly and I feel so unable to get it togethr on my own I just eat and eat but I thank you for reminding me the band is only a tool and I need to stay focused. Thanks so much!! :smile:

Can I recc. the Jan Oprah magazine to you if you have not picked it up. There is a great plan Bob Green has to get back on track like start with 23 day and increase, cut out soda and hih cal drinks, etc to take step by step managable changes to get to goal.What workouts are you going to begin with?:thumbup:

Dear LastOptionAtty: thanks for the recommendation of the Oprah magazine - I've never read one of her magazines (didn't realize she had one). I have a recumbent bike that has sat in my living room for 2 years - needless to say, I have not got my money's worth out of it! Also, Santa brought the kids a Wii system yesterday. So, I'm going to take advantage of it, and buy myself the Wii Fit when I get paid next week. I was gonna wait til my b-day and hope someone would get it for me, but that's not til February. I want to start now while I'm still motivated and make exercise a habit as soon as possible. I'm reading a great book - got it yesterday for Christmas (already on page 81) It's by Prevention magazine; called Prevention 2008 Shortcuts to Big Weight Loss. It totally makes sense - the main idea being that studies are proving that (3) 10 minute work outs a day are just as good, if not better, than 30-40 minutes of exercise. It is a lot easier for me to find a 10 minute block of free time 3 times a day than it is to allot 30 minutes + each day. Which I think is one reason many people are going to this. I've read this theory more than once in the last couple of months. I think they're on to something. Thanks for your advice. I hope my story helped you some. I don't mean to make you think twice about having the lap band, because losing weight as slow as I am (not at all) is not a norm - but that's the story of my life - abnormal! Good luck

Oh no I am thankful for sharing your story b/c in the end it is a matter of calories in calories out and you were clear you had some iffy food choices and I think that is wonderful that you got that book! I am sure it has some good advice I love Prevention magazine. You are right 3 -10mins is a good way to get in your 30 plenty of us do that on here maybe 10 in the am 10 mid day at work and 10 in the evening. The best thing is once you get in a groove you'll good harder and longer! Wii Fit is GREAT!!! Also boxing... I do it wth my heart rate monitor and burned a couple hundred calories in a 30 minute match!!

Yes please buy the Oprah magazine its great!

Keep checkin in!!:thumbup::smile:

Just back from the gym with bf! We both did the eliptical and the treadmill. Tomorrow we are going to do Body Pump!:thumbup:

What workouts do you have planned for the weekend?!

Made it to the gym with bf and we did Body Pump! It wa a good workout I have not done that class in awhile it hurt really good. It was his first time and he liked it too and got a great workout

Good morning and Happy New Year, My Sistas!:wink_smile:

Not the easiest Christmas season I've ever had, but...I didn't gain my usual 10 pounds over the holiday. I think I'm up a few (perhaps 3) but will know for sure when I go to the doc for my first fill tomorrow morning.

Did get in quite a few workouts - I was off work from Dec 23 through Jan 5th, so I went to the gym 6 times. My daughter came along as well, and I know now why I love the gym. I feel so much stronger and healthier when I go!

Went dancing for First Friday in January (terrific swing band at a local theatre) and for the first time in a long time, my knees didn't hurt even after wearing higher-than-recommended heels and dancing!:thumbup:

Gotta love the band...will check in after my fill tomorrow to let everyone know how it went.

Happy New Year ALL!!! Ebony way to go with keeping up with the workouts!

I have been to the gm ina week and havent used my new treadmill not good but today starts the count tdo so i am getting on my grind! Please check in after the fill!!

:thumbup:HI EVERYONE!!!!:):biggrin::wink2::mad2::thumbup::thumbup::w00t::w00t::w00t::thumbup::thumbup:

How goes it??!!! Any workout or workout plans to report?? I hope so!!!!

I did Step aerobics and Kick boxing = 2 hours Saturday

Yoday I did 45 mins of the eliptical , Weight lifting clas and Kickboxing =2 hours and 45 mins.

I plan to do:

Monday -Spin class (1 hr) Eliptical (1hr)

Tuesday- Spin & Eliptical

Weds- TBA I may go to work I work in DC and they are saying it will be a mess so we will see.

Thursday- Treadmill (home):w00t:

Friday-Treadmill (home):smile:

Satuday-Step and Combat:thumbup:

Sunday- Eliptical and Body Pump.:thumbup:

What are your plans!?!:thumbup:

Just a quick check in. I went to Walmart then went ot he gym since I was out did 45 mins on the eliptical and came home. The spin class is at 5pm so I will go back later for that and maybe te hottub afterwards!:)

I'd be honored to join! Excercise is vital to this tool of our to work. Unfortunately, I don't particularly love it. But, I always feel better after doing it.

Today, I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weight training on my upper body.

I'd be honored to join! Excercise is vital to this tool of our to work. Unfortunately, I don't particularly love it. But, I always feel better after doing it.

Today, I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes of weight training on my upper body.

GOOD STUFF!!!:(:thumbup:

I plan to get in something tonight possibly spin class if the weather holds up today! Welcome!!

Last night: 30 minutes on the treadmill @ 4.7 mph; 30 minutes of weights for lower body. My last workout for the week will either be tonight or tomorrow (Saturday). I'm trying to maintain a regimen that I can stick with. Ten years ago, I worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months, but got burned out. I gained all of that weight back PLUS a bunch. So here's my schedule:

Monday - workout

Tuesday - workout

Wednesday - off

Thursday - workout

Friday or Saturday - workout, THEN hair appointment

Sunday - off

If I get the hair done on Saturday, then there's NO WAY I'm working out on Sunday. Speaking of which, I 'm starting a post on haircare. With a relaxer, maintaining healthy hair and sweating everyday is difficult. I wonder how other sisters out there are managing.

I'm back!:rolleyes:

Had a rough start to the new year - haven't been to the gym since my holiday recess where I went so much...I'm not sure what's going on, but...

I decided to get off my rusty dusty and start walking at lunchtime again - if it's not snowing, I don't care WHAT the temperature is, I'm going! So far, I've gone 3 days this week.

I still do my usual walk with DD and DDog in the morning, but if it's in single digits, we don't walk as far. The dog appreciates not having frozen feet :eek:

My hubby brought home a rowing machine - he does maintenance on the machines at a gym in our hometown, and they were going to get rid of three of their older models (still in perfect working order - after all, he maintains them!) so we've got a rowing machine in the house now. Will start that next week - I found a great site online where there are workouts for beginners like me and working up to intermediate and advanced.

Keep up the workouts, my sistas! LastOption - you've been doing so well! Congrats to you!!!

Last night: 30 minutes on the treadmill @ 4.7 mph; 30 minutes of weights for lower body. My last workout for the week will either be tonight or tomorrow (Saturday). I'm trying to maintain a regimen that I can stick with. Ten years ago, I worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day. I lost 40 pounds in 3 months, but got burned out. I gained all of that weight back PLUS a bunch. So here's my schedule:

Monday - workout

Tuesday - workout

Wednesday - off

Thursday - workout

Friday or Saturday - workout, THEN hair appointment

Sunday - off

If I get the hair done on Saturday, then there's NO WAY I'm working out on Sunday. Speaking of which, I 'm starting a post on haircare. With a relaxer, maintaining healthy hair and sweating everyday is difficult. I wonder how other sisters out there are managing.

Greattttt workout!!! We do have issues with hair care and working out. That is a pain I always have to resort to the dreaded ponytail when I workout:thumbdown: