Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:confused:Hello! I'm new from WI. I was banded Sep 19 of this year. All was going well but after only 3 weeks I've already found myself going back to my old habits. I have not had a fill and am still suppose to be on the slush and mush diet till Friday but I feel like I missed out and am making up for the few weeks I went without "real" food. I started to exercise and then lost the ambition as usual. I have lost 8lbs since surgery but feel that isn't enough. I also fear that I may have damaged my band or something. Anyone else worried if their "binge" eating has compromised their banding? I tried to make sure I chewed slowly and drank Water with the food but now I’m a little scared. I never felt that real full feeling either and felt I could eat more than I should but it is still less than what I was eating. Is their any kind of symptoms I should watch out for? I don’t see my doc again for another 3-4 weeks and am so embarrassed to tell him.

Am I not going to feel “full” until after my first fill?

Thanks everyone!

Your band is empty and you are in the healing phase, not weight loss phase. The band will not start working until you get at proper restriction, that may or may not happen after the first fill, it can take more than one fill to get where you need to be. Until then you need to use willpower. You shouldn't be drinking with your meal and you should not eat solids until your doctor says it is OK. Symtoms of slippage can vary from pain, to reflux, to no weight loss. You should be up front with your doctor about everything.

it might take several band fills before u experience a decent restriction. it seems like ages while ur waiting but u will get there eventually. I had my band 3 months ago, have just had my 3rd fill and is only just feeling tighter and giving me a good restriction now. you'll get there, just be patient!

julia

Hi...I am from WI also. What town are you from. I live in Cambridge. I noticed you said you drank with your meal? Was that a mistake in typing? You shouldn't drink an hour before a meal or 2 hours after. That is the info I got from my doctor. Who did your surgery? Your bad habits will not disappear with the band or make you exercise, that is going to be up to you. Once you get your first fill you should feel some restriction. Make sure you are totally honest with your doctor, that is the only way that he can help you figure out how things are working for you. Do they offer a support group? My surgeon offers monthly meetings that really are a great source of support and offers alot of ideas and solutions to some problems we come across. I do feel for you because I still don't feel the restriction that most feel and have NEVER reached the "sweet spot" that everyone talks about. I am 2 yrs out and have still not reached goal. But I am also not going up on the scale which was the norm 2 years ago. Remember slow and steady is okay also. I at first had a hard time with that after seeing people who were banded the same day as I was and were losing very fast. My one perk to slow weight loss is I have NO hanging skin anywhere. Exercise is definately the key. I should stop now, but I feel like I could offer alot more advise. Since we are in the same state if you ever want to talk, even on the phone just send me a personal IM with your phone number and I would be glad to give you a call for support, advise, or if you just need to vent! Good Luck on your journey and I will be here if you need anything

Whether or not you damaged yourself by eating depends on what you ate and when. THere's a reason they have us on this post op diet and it isn't to torture us. The band is lightly sewn into place around your stomach. When we eat food (mushies or soft or real, anything that isn't liquid) our stomach churns to digest it. This churning can rip some or all of your stitches loose.

If I were you I'd tell my surgeon what I'd done so he can decide if you may need an X-ray or whatever to make sure things are still in place.

You don't have to be in pain to have popped a stitch or 2 and that will set you up for slipping or erosion later on down the road.

You just have to use willpower; the band is just a tool, not a miracle drug or something. We all know it's hard; I held a can of refried Beans and cried (and felt like an idiot, but I STILL cried!) but you have to heal properly. Tell your doc; not to punish, but to make sure you're ok.

Hi Gigi,

I am still in my first week post op. I finally emailed my dietician this morning and asked if it was normal to be STARVING! I mean, the kind of hunger pains that are just this side of nausea. I have no problem getting my liquids in, including my Protein drinks. Still don't really feel any restriction, but then I don't really know what that feels like and I haven't been pushing the issue (a friend told me "oh - you'll know!"). I told her I had actually 'cheated' and drank a small glass of 1% milk this morning. The hunger pains calmed down some, but within an hour, they were back. She emailed me right away and told me to go ahead and move to phase 2 - full liquids. That meant OATMEAL! WOOHOO! I actually made a packet of SF oatmeal w/extra Water and added a little Protein powder. Had half of it and it was heaven!

Here's my point. Stay in CLOSE contact with your team members - your Dr, dietician, counselor. I'm so brand new to all of this, but I know me. They will be imperative to my success. As soon as I start trying to do it all on my own, I'll fall back into bad habits and excuses. I would just encourage you to call your Dr. as soon as possible. So what if you have a moment of :smile2:. It'll pass quick and you'll feel so much better afterwards.

Mary