Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Skhopp

just saw your post about Alli. You had said you will ask your MD if you can take it with the band and post the response.

What ever happened? I am getting such conflicting info from different places - I am a slow loser, trying really hard, and I want to try Alli to see if it will speed things up. My MD just gives me a lecture on food choices when I've asked, which doesn't answer the question - CAN ALLI HARM MY BAND!

well, if you have any info, please post it or reply.

Thanks

rdk:ohmy:

for anyone who's interested ---- I spoke with my dietician regarding the use of Alli. She said that it is NOT contraindicated with the lap band. It can safely be used; however, they do NOT recommend it. 1. It can have "very unpleasant" side effects. 2. If you're eating a low fat diet (as we should be for the band to do its job) it isn't going to offer much benefit, because it rids the body of excess fat so that it isn't absorbed. I guess that makes sense, but I am sooooo depressed, disgusted, disappointed that I am ready to give up. I am really tired of giving up so much and not getting anything back in return (weight loss). For those of you that haven't read my sob story before, I am 1 1/2 years out from surgery and am still stuck at a 12-15 pound weight loss (all that was before surgery). Granted, I haven't gained but 2,3,4 pounds, but I haven't lost either. Ready to scream:cursing:Need a pick me up if anyone has one. steph

What is your caloric intake? Do you exercise? If so, how much and what do you do? I was a very slow loser also. It has taken me over 2 yrs to finally get to a bmi of 24.9(just under the 25 mark for being overweight), so I do know the struggle. Maybe if you give me more info we can see if there is something that is hampering your weight loss. I know that sometimes medications can affect weight loss. I think we can figure this out! LET'S GET YOU LOSING AGAIN!

I had been on xenical (prescription alli) for 7 years before I started on the banding journey. I haven't taken it since I was banded on 9/22. I had fairly good results with it when I watched my diet. I just thought that if the band did it's job you wouldn't have the hunger you did before and would be more inclined to choose smaller portions of ( healthy) foods, etc...and feel satisfied.. Plus the exercise. I certainly have no desire to go back to the pre-band routes and diets like weight watchers - been there, done that. But that might work for some. Just not for me.

Cleo's Mom: In my case the band does help me eat smaller portions. There is no way that for the 2 1/2 yrs I have had the band that I can say that I haven't been hungry. I think if you look at alot of the people that have been sucessful with the band they have commited to changing their lives drastically. Most of us when we hit maintanance level, are on some type of program like weight watchers or Protein rich diets. Which we now consider a way of life. You are still new to the band and for alot of us it does get tougher as time goes on if you are a slow losers. Everyone eventually finds their own path and way to deal with the weight loss demon. But as far as saying pre-band routes may not work for you, remember, never say never. The same things you may have failed at before may work well with the help of the band. I LOVE weight watcher now, I wasn't a big fan prior to banding. How much weight have you lost? You should use a ticker, it really is inspirational for yourself and others during your journey. I hope you continue to love your band as much as I do. Congratulations on your journey to a new healthier you!

laurigee - One of the reasons I don't like Weight Watchers is because you are just a number on the scale. I actually became a life time member. I refuse to reduce my success to a number on the scale. That is why I won't use a ticker. I am so much more than a number on a scale. I am a breast cancer survivor. I have been a widow for 3 years (from age 54) and I have had to learn to live alone. But for the purpose of this post I will tell you that I weigh 184. My highest weight was 244 a little over 3 years ago - so I have been losing weight for over 3 years - before I started this banding journey.

I am SO SORRY for your loss, and my best friend is also a breast cancer survivor. You are obviously a very strong determined woman, I seen what she went through and I know you have to be. I do agree, sometimes I do get caught up with the numbers. Truthfully, I have had to realize that I will never get to the magic number the doctors feel I should be. I have chosen a number where I know I will be healthy and strong. I actually just upped my goal weight to 10 more pounds heavier than I origanally had in my head. I have been going by 10 pound steps and seeing how I feel. If I stay my current weight I will be happy. I do have overeating issues, so I have to regulate myself with the scale. Good Luck to you and I hope that I in no way offended you, and thanks for sharing a part of your story, it really put life into perspective. THANKS!

laurigee - No, I was not offended in the least. Thank you for your kind words. What I have learned from being on this message boards is that no two people are the same and each has to do what is right for them. Each person's journey is unique. The kinds of foods they can eat, their eating experience, their approach to food now compared to before banding, exercise - all of if is so individual. But the common ground is that each person should feel better than before because they are eating healthier and doing something to improve their health. That is my approach. Good luck to you and thanks again .

Hi there all,

I don't have any experience with Alli (or Xenical as it is called in Australia) -- but I would warrant that any medication which comes with a warning to carry a spare pair of underpants with you at all times is NOT a medication I would want to take! :tongue:

But seriously, I hope your doctor gives you some good advice and you can work on getting the weight loss ball rolling again.

Hee hee @ "thinking you'll just pass a little gas but suddenly....". It's called a "Shart". You think you're just going to fart, but there's actually a surprise in store...

Thought I would revisit the alli theory. I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the willpower to quit eating junk. I am seriously thinking of trying the alli. The band does control my hunger and portion sizes; however, I don't have to be hungry to eat junk food (is this true for anyone else?) My theory is that junk food is my one biggest fault that I can't seem to get a grasp on. Hope I don't offend anyone as that isn't my intention; but, how many times would you have to have an "accident" before you avoided the triggers of the "accidents"? Maybe this would be the answer to getting myself off the not-so-good foods. I'm just throwing this out there again with the hopes that someone else would see my reasoning for trying this. Please save yourself the time, if you are against alli -- you may not be in my shoes. I know the do's and dont's of having the band, and I am here to tell you that different things work for different people. Just wondering if anyone else sees where I'm coming from?

I have tried Alli off and on and it just isnt working. Maybe Im not eating as much fat?? ... but nadda. I thought it would at least help with Constipation (sorry).

My problem is sugary foods, like candy, Cookies, stuff that doesnt have that much fat, but it does have sugar. Alli only helps if you eat fat. It will not help at all for candy or chocolates, my downfall. I still have a unopened bottle of Alli here, havent kept using it much since it doesnt seem to have any effect with what Im currently eating. Iv had prescription Alli which seemed much stronger. Is the Alli they sell over the counter just weaker?

If I let myself, I could eat junk food all day long. However, I just don't want to go there, since I had the gastric banding surgery. But I do understand where you are coming from. It is really hard.

I utilized Alli pre-band and it really hurt my stomach. Lot's of pain, so I stopped taking it. I have no doubt Alli will help you retrain your brain for it's desire for fatty junk food. You already know what this product does when you eat fatty foods, so it could help you rethink consuming your trigger foods.

thanks so much for your quick replies - flowers and TQUAD64. I do appreciate your opinions. It helps me make my decision.

flowers - I never thought about the fat content in candy and chocolate being so low. I was just thinking about them being fattening foods, poor choices, and empty calories; however, you're right, candy and chocolate are my triggers - and is the fat content in them enough that alli would help? I'm gonna have to think about this. thanks for bringing that up.

Stephanie

I took the prescription of Alli (xenical) years ago. I think it was double the strength of the OTC. Yes, I threw away some underwear because of accidents and had the leaking they describe. It's not pleasant. I did lose some weight, though. But, eventually, you get tired of it or the expense and stop taking it.

My gut says that the doc would say "no" because we already have some Vitamin issues. When you don't absorb fat, you don't absorb certain Vitamins (I dont' remember which ones).

Since I'm diabetic, I've learned to make some of my favorites healthier. I love the junk food too. Maybe you could look up some diabetic recipes to help with the sweet tooth. There are really some good ones now that you can use Splenda. I also have adapted some of my favorite recipes to be healthier - make my own pizza with a lower fat crust and healthier toppings with fat-free mozzerela - turkey burgers with the fat free cheese. The list goes on but you get the idea. You can find really great sugar-free ice creams and toppings too.

This is an update on my earlier posts. I have started taking xenical again since my banding in Sept. 08. My philopsophy is that it is just another tool, like the band. I know how and when to take it and how my body reacts to it. I've been on it almost 8 years and since it only blocks 1/3 of your fat calories and only works in your intestines - it does not block the absorption of fat soluble Vitamins (like A). I believe it has helped me but I don't eat much fat in my diet. I have been eating healthy foods almost all the time (everyone has a few slips). Good luck.