Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Stories!

I thought that I'd start a new thread for fill stories....I think that most of us early September bandsters are starting to get our first one.

Today was -1 day shy of 4 weeks post-op for me and I had my first fill. My instructions said to fast for 4 hours before the appointment and stop Water 1 hour before. I got to the aftercare center and they weighed me (down 15lbs since surgery!) and then went over the consent form and the PG test waiver. The PA came in and went over the post-fill diet (2 days liquid, 2 days mushie) and some other reminders (chew, chew, chew...small bites...no carbonated beverages...etc). Then she had me lie back and she pushed around for my port. She found it and then asked if I wanted lidocaine (I declined). Next she had me do a semi-crunch to confirm the port location. She stuck the needle in and then moved it around a bit (not painful at all!), then she pushed it into the port and drew out some Fluid. The Fluid was tinged, so she removed that needle as they didn't want to put bloody fluid in my band (the blood was from scar tissue that she had pushed through while moving the needle around). The second needle was prepared and she put it in the exact same hole...I didn't feel a thing. She tapped the needle against the port (I could actually hear it) and then pushed it through. She withdrew my original fill (from surgery) which was 3.4cc and then pushed it back in along with an additional 1.6cc. All done!

Next they gave me a cup of Water that I had to sip for half an hour during which time I met with the patient educator (5 year post-op patient). She gave me some great advice, recipes and general information about the band and eating with it.

That's it....I left to have lunch with my hubby :eek:. I had chicken noodle Soup without the chicken and noodles...LOL

Had mine 8 weeks out....I had an ultrsound done with the nasty drink.

Went to the surgical center and the night before I had to stop eating after misnight, just Clear Liquids. Had to lay down on surgical table...numbed me and put the needle in. I had to stand up and they put the ultrasound machine around me. It was the coolest ever I was able to see inside me...loved it. Standing with the needle in me lol (Pulp Fiction moment) I had to drink the nasty stuff and it got stuck, so he took some out took a sip and it went down fast so he added a tiny bit more and perfect. I am just learning small small bites and wait inbetween each one so nothing gets stuck. It hurts when it gets stuck. I was down 17lbs since banded and I will weigh myself on Saturday to see what my first week of my first fill weight loss is. I really haven't eaten much.

:eek:

Hi,

It will be 4 weeks since my surgery tomorrow and I had my first fill yesterday. I was very excited because my weight loss had stopped and I was feeling a little frustrated. I went in, they weighed me, down 1 lb since my 2 week post op, 16 in all since surgery. I knew I didn't lose any more weight. Anyway, he had me lay down on the table, told me to "scrunch" and while I was doing that he put the needle in, felt around a bit for the port, and sucked out the air/fluid that was in there. We were both under the impression that there was no saline in the band but apparently the Doc had put 2cc in at surgery time to "prime" it. Anyway, he pulled out the 2cc, added 3cc more to that, and put all 5cc back in. No pain, no discomfort, piece of cake. He asked me a few questions about what I've been eating and how much fluids I get in each day. Told me liquids rest of night, mushies in the morning and for lunch, and then back to regular solid foods tonight. So that's it. I have 5cc's in my 14cc band, I have lost 16 lbs since surgery 9-12-08, and I have my next fill scheduled for 11-5-08. I hope I have some restriction soon because I don't think the 5cc's is doing it either for me! That is going to make for a very long 4 weeks til my next fill.

But all in all, still very happy I made the decision because 16 lbs is 16 more than I would have lost previous!

Have a great day!

Jodie

I am not sure how much I have in me but it is hard to get down tiny pieces. I have to find out I thought he said 2cc but I wasn't pay any attention just looking at my insides

well I had my first fill today, the doctor stuck the needle in and he did a little manoever that i prefered not to watch but he told me i now have 4 cc in and i have to go back on Saturday for another cc ... not sure if this the procedure anyway ...it did not hurt ... i was afraid it would and i tried to drink small sips or Water and juice and things were fine ... i m back on liquid diet till he sees me again on Saturday ... did anyone get two fills in one week ?

Mine was a nightmare. He felt around for about 20 min and the hole time I had to be in the "crunch" position. Ouch!! :mellow: He ended up poking me with the needle 3 time all together. He used the ultrasound twice and still another doc had to come in to do the fill. I ended up with a baseball size bruise for almost 2 weeks.

But, I do feel the difference after the fill. I can go about 6-7 hrs before I have to eat now. I have a total of 3cc in right now, but I go back in two weeks. We'll see what he says. :eek:

With a total 23lbs lost, I am super stoked with my progress. I can really feel the difference. sleep is getting better, moving around in general is getting better, the seat belt in the car is even starting to fit right. :crying:

I have had three unsusselful attemps at a fill. They poke and prod and have left me sore and bleeding. I am now told that in 4 weeks they will try again with ultra sound. My weight loss is still good so the Dr. isnt as concerned as I am

Robert~ That sounds miserable! I hope that the u/s fill goes better for you!!

I'm 5 days out from my first fill and I am definately feeling restriction now! I started solids yesterday (first ones since surgery) and it's amazing how little I can eat before I'm full.

My biggest problem is waiting the half hour after eating to drink. I have no issue not drinking during a meal, but I want Water immediately after!!

GL to everyone!!

Hello,

Friday will be my two weeks of my first fill. I am still learning on eating slow and chewing and getting better with all that. Drinking is something I need and I will wai until after I eat but I do take a couple of sips. I am to thirsty not too and it drives me nuts. I have to drink.

I am learning of certain foods I can not eat, they get stuck. It's weird I went to the diner and had Breakfast with my sister in law after the gym and I had a omlete w/spinach no toast no has browns but I did have the cheese. I ate very slow and chewed no problems with eating that. I make scrabbled eggs at home one egg one egg white no cheese just plain and it gets stuck, I just don't get it. I have to really take take small bites and chewed them good and wait awhile before the next bite, then I am full. But I guess that's how it is.

I had surgery on 9/4. I went for my 1st fill on 10/9. They put in 3cc's. They had me drink Water after that, and at the time I felt like it was not going down, but I was like it will be ok, its just my 1st fill.

That night I threw up a lot. I was throwing up my own spit. I was miserable. I went back the next morning and they took out 1cc. Saturday I did good. No problems. Sunday, bad, I was having problems eating simple stuff. Mon and Tues still having problem, a lot of PB's. Wednesday, ok and then Thursday ate lunch and was in pain every time I took a bite. I gave in and went back to the dr and they took out another .5 cc. Now I feel like too much was taken out. I give up. Oh well, I like this feeling better than being in pain when I ate.

My wonderful surgeon abandoned me for a vacation in Prague, leaving me to a (slightly inexperienced with Realize Band) very nice doctor in their group. He said at one point, "How tight do you want it?" And I had to laugh and said, "You must be kidding, right?"

I have no idea how much a first fill usually entails, so he put in 4ccs and said to make sure my doc doesn't go on vacation. It took him 20 minutes with the fluroscopy to figure out where it was and to stick, maneuver and then fluro again ... not much fun.

This morning, it feels like someone kicked me with a football ... ah well. My next appointment is scheduled for December 9th.

I am officially 4 weeks out today. I had my first fill this afternoon. It wasn't bad at all. They had me lay down on the table while the nurse put in saline (she blocked the needle so I have no idea how much). Then she had me stand up in front of the fluro machine (with the needle sticking out of my belly). She had me start to drink the barium while she filled. She made sure I didn't feel any pain with the liquid, then I drank Water. It went down. She removed the needle (that felt odd) and sent me on my merry way. I have to stay on clear liquids until tomorrow, then full liquids, and then mushies. They told me to just take it slow. Good luck everyone!

Today is exactly one month from my surgery.

I had my fill today using Flourascopy, or whatever it's called.

Okay, so here is the truth. It doesn't hurt. I now have 5.5cc in a Realize Band. I guess I was his first Realize Band and the ports are slightly different so my story will be different, but it wasn't bad.

Okay, first the Dr asked me where my port was. Seems it is placed slightly lower than usual, but nothing to worry about. They used numbing cream on my port area, thank goodness and then he used a paperclip and the Fluro thing to find the center of the port. I got to watch the TV screen a lot of the time, it was very interesting. He got the needle to the center, you can see it on the screen but he had trouble getting the needle into the port. I didn't feel a thing, but I am a little sore now.

There was a lot of pushing and manulipating to get the sweet spot. Anyway once the needle was in I was told DON"T MOVE. I stayed frozen. So he injected some saline in and the table was raised. I couldn't move an inch so they had to help me keep my balance. It was weird I felt like I was falling forward on that table when they stood me upright and when they lowered me I thought they had stood me on my head.

I drank the barium, what by then was tasting might fine since I was starving. I even ended up with Barium Lips, but thank goodness the nurse helped me out. The Dr put in a little more saline in and then told me that he doesn't like filling too tight the first time. He said it depends, I might need another fill or this could be it.

Once they got the needle in it was very fast. And no pain. None, and that was with a fishing expedition and I am a very nervous person. So trust me, not bad at all.

So after they showed me the pictures and it was cool, the first swallow straight through. After the fill you can see the decreased amount, it looked very little to me, coming out of the band.

It was so weird to see the band on my stomach, my big huge stomach with a little tiny band making the little tiny "pouch" area. Anyway, I went back to work, and I bled on my shirt, I am a bleeder for some reason - for those of you who read this, don't wear a white shirt and check before you get dressed.

Anyway I went back to work and had a sugar free Jello. I was full after 1/4 of it. I was shocked!!!

I am on clear liquids today and full liquids for 2 to 4 days after. I can start mushies when I feel ready, I am afraid, but I have to start with very very pureed food, I just love my baby food. He told me to take it slow, my tummy has to get use to the fill.

So here I am, full after a SF Popsicle. AND I FEEL GREAT!!! :smile:

The Dr said I was an excellent patient :cool2:.

See, piece of cake! :thumbup:

I finally got my first fill. I currently have 4 cc's in my 10 cc band. WHOO HOOO! I can feel a difference in swollowing. I don't believe it is enough, but it can't be worse right? I go back two days before thanksgiving. That'll be interesting. My mom's not real happy with that. But hey, it'll save her money because I won't be pigging out on pizza, and goodies :thumbup:

I have to say I didn't even feel the needle go in. When he played with it I could feel a little pressure, but he wanted me to know that feeling. He pulled out what was in there, and then added a cc. Which put me at 4. He had me look down at it. And then he pulled the needle out, put on a bandaid, and it was all done. Course when I lay down my port is directly under my port incision, so there is some numbness there.

teri