Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op eating behaviors vs. Post-Op eating behaviors

Hi all...

I am a little over a month pre-op for lapband and here is my worry and question for you veterans. I know I'm supposed to change my eating habits BEFORE surgery to get my mind and body ready for the drastic changes post surgery. The problem is I'm having a rough time changing things up the way I ought to. Obviously, I'm addicted to certain foods (breads, bakery goods, sweets, etc.), which has gotten me to the point where I am today: Obese. I desperately want to change my life and eating habits, but it hasn't come easily for me. I'm still eating a bagel & coffee for Breakfast and though I am better throughout the day - eating yogurts, cottage cheese and decent meals at dinner, I revert to old ways and sneak in a piece of cake, Cookies, whatever... sometimes when they are in the kitchen at work. How crucial is it that I change my eating habits completely before surgery? I know I should and I will continue to make the necessary changes... but I wondered if all of you gave up all those foods you knew you couldn't eat with the band and how successful you were in doing so in advance of the surgery. Even though I'm doing much better with food choices and am more cognizant of what I put in my mouth, I am afraid I will fail afterward if I don't change my eating completely to stay in line with what I will be eating post-surgery. Any experiences you can share with me is appreciated.

All the best to you in your pre or post op journey! Thanks for being here to vent and get valuable feedback.

Lauren

I ate all my favorites up until the start of the pre-op diet. The pre-op diet was very hard because the carb cravings were so severe. After about a week, the carbs were finally out of my system and it got easier, I was hungry mind you, but at least the carb cravings were at bay.

I've learned from low-carb diets I did prior to surgery that the best way to get rid of your cravings is to get the carbs cleared out of your system then keep them out. It is hard at first but after a few days the cravings go away then all you have to do is to keep the stuff out of your diet, eating just a little will cause the cravings to come right back. I was allowed carbs during my post-op diet but I chose not to reintroduce the bad ones into my diet. I get my carbs from natural sources like fresh fruits and veggis, oatmeal and milk. I avoid bread, Pasta, rice, potato, corn, flour and of course, sugar.

Not only has it kept the head hunger and food cravings away but it has put my PCOS (Insulin Resistance) into remission. I know for sure that it was not the weight loss alone that did this because I was off my meds right away and all of my PCOS symptoms are under control naturally.

When I get a sweet craving, I eat some sweet fruit or sugar free treats. I keep SF popsicles and fudgesicles on hand and also I buy the South Beach Diet Breakfast bars and eat just 1/2 of a bar when I get a sweet craving, they really help and add to my daily Protein intake too. They come in chocolate, cinnamon raisin and Peanut Butter and you can get multi-packs with all three flavors. I don't make a habit of eating these treats but I do allow myself one treat a day when needed.

Thanks Jodi for your advice. I am right there with you, Lauren. I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I am doing better at avoiding carbs, but it is hard. It has been a life long obsession for carbs and sweets for me. Good luck to you Lauren.

I ate whatever up until my pre-op diet. Now, my band truly tells me what I can and can't eat...it really doesn't like the *crap*. That is not saying though, that I won't have an occasional cookie or ice cream...not everyday though, because I don't feel good afterwards.

Part of the reason the band works it that you are scared to death of eating the wrong thing and vomiting and messing the band up. It becomes second nature to not eat junk food. The band helps you do it since the consequences are not good.

I eat healthy carbs. Whole wheat/flax seed pita bread. Whole wheat Pasta and brown rice. In very small amounts.

I find they help the craving. As for sweets, I am a chocoholic. So every night I have a small container of sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding. I look forward to it.

I too am a carboholic. I did follow the pre-op diet faithfully and somehow made it through that okay. Oblivious during that time, I now know that it was a way to rid my body of the bad carbs. Now, I never touch the stuff. I'm afraid that 1 little taste will send me down the tube. I know that I have an addictive personality. Right now I'm struggling with a cheese obsession. I was on a tic-tac cycle a while back, but have gotten that one under control.

If you can stay off the bad carbs, you will be better off. Believe it, you won't feel tired, crabby (most of the time, lol), and you'll have much more energy. This is not to say, that you still wont go through the "mourning" food stage. I went through that after about a month post-op - was depressed, angry, moody, etc. Remember, your body and mind is addicted to food. It's the same as giving up liquor or drugs, you have to go through the withdrawal period.

I wish you all the best. Hang in there, it does get better! Brenda

I will be having my surgery Oct. 24, and I start my pre-op diet on the 14th, my Dr. is Warnock, from Wichita Falls, Texas, I have been told that the kind of protien he puts you on is really bad tasteing. I am also concerned about what kind of things I can have during the 10 days of pre-op, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing form you.

bradley18:thumbup:

I am so happy to have found this website. I have been in other forums where most of the people repeat this " I only had a problem w/portion control. I ate healthy, I just ate too much of it" script. Im glad to be where Real people can be honest about the behaviors and foods that got us where we are. Im also glad to know that the band really can help someone like me (and you Lauren). Those other places had me seriously thinking it couldn’t. I do plan to eat healthier and move more once banded, but honestly right now, Im still addicted to junk food.

hi u all,

i'm getting my lap band dec 4th and i seem to be eating everything i get a hold of and i am really not feeling that good, but its like i keep thinking these are things i will not be able to eat any more so i keep eating them anyway and i also love the carbs. Once i start the process i will be dedicaded to it though. It is so good to have this web site for support cause we all have things in common and it helps to talk and read about each others trials and tribulations.

thanks so much,

tammy

Jodi... how far in advance of your procedure are did you start your pre-op diet? I keep promising myself I am going to start it soon - then the "old tapes" keep playing and I'm into the wrong foods again. I am more careful, to be sure; but I know I have to change things up much more to get my mind and body ready for the drastic changes I will need to make afterward. I don't want to fail at this in any way, but I think I'm somewhat fearful to give up some of those foods that have given me "comfort" for so long (and this BMI too)!

Thanks all for your feedback. It's great to hear how others are handling things.

Bradley18,

I currently drink EAS whey Protein. I also use DaVinci sugar free syrups to vary the flavors. They come in like 20 flavors or more. I buy them at lollicups.com. I got my order three or four days after I placed the order.

Today I used chocolate whey with butterscotch Syrup. Yesterday I had strawberry whey with toasted hazelnut. My favorites so far are choc or vanilla with caramel.:wub:

I buy whey from vitaglo.com. You can probably buy whey from a nearby hralth food store, but we have practically nothing in our little town. I am also a fanatic when it comes to finding low prices. But I don't like the cheap whey found at Walmart.< /p>

By the way, Davinci's syrups are carried by Target, Walmart, and some drink stores. Look in the coffe aisles if you don't find it in the diet section. Be sure you get sugar free, they also make a full sugar version. I think starbucks use them to flavor coffee. (We have none of those stores.)

An even better tasting whey is BSN lean Dessert. I love choc coconut, and am trying banana nut this month.:smile2:

Good luck. Maybe if you take the jug in, the doctor will let you use a better tasting variety.

mindwing:shades_smile:

Jodi... how far in advance of your procedure are did you start your pre-op diet? I keep promising myself I am going to start it soon - then the "old tapes" keep playing and I'm into the wrong foods again. I am more careful, to be sure; but I know I have to change things up much more to get my mind and body ready for the drastic changes I will need to make afterward. I don't want to fail at this in any way, but I think I'm somewhat fearful to give up some of those foods that have given me "comfort" for so long (and this BMI too)!

Thanks all for your feedback. It's great to hear how others are handling things.

The pre-op diet and when to start it are based on your surgeon. They ususually start anywhere from a few days to up to 3 weeks prior to the surgery. My surgeon gave a 2 week liquid only diet. Every surgeon's diet is different. Just check with them on what your diet is to be and when to start it. Good luck on your journey!

Lauren. I started my pre-op per my surgeon's instructions which was two weeks liquid Protein. I was worried like you, sure I was going to fail. And I won't lie, following the pre-op diet was extremely difficult. Post-op was easier with the band in place (two more weeks of liquids then two weeks mushies) but once I was on solids, I was fine. If you are a carb addict and your doctor is prescribing a Protein pre-op diet, I recommend keeping those white carbs out of your diet as long as you can keep it up post-op. It really does help keep the head hunger/cravings away.

OK, I'm not really a low carb advocate but sweet carbs were my downfall too. I can control that now for the most part.

While I havent cut carbs I dont eat those sweet ones any more if I can possibly avoid it. Sometimes I do and whilst I cant say I identify with the stories people tell of "if you have one bite of them the cravings come back really strongly" they are moreish and I find it best just not to eat them. However, I can handle wholegrain low GI carbs fine and I do have a higher Protein diet than I had, although I dont go in for 80 grams a day like many do, and all that does help to keep the blood sugar and appetite more stable and the tendency to suddenly pig out at bay.

What also helps is that cakes, donuts etc tend to get stuck and hurt going down, which over time has made them just not as attractive to me.

All I did BEFORE surgery was vow not to eat like a pig until surgery day. I practiced eating moderately. But I've never "changed" my diet that much since it was pretty healthy already (just too much and too many treates) and my definition of a healthy diet isnt cottage cheese and eggs all day long. So there was really nothing to change. I just tried to not eat everythign that wasnt nailed down and I started exercising.