Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Got My Surgery Date...Where Are The November Bandsters?

To all the 'Notorious Novembers'! Congratulations! And I have joined your ranks! My surgery date is Wednesday Nov 26th! And I can't wait!!!

I'm also having the moods kicking in as some others have said. :unsure: But reading that it's normal, and seeing that everyone out there is pulling for everyone else, it truly is 'All for One and One for All' here, it's making such a difference to me.

I can't wait to hear from more of you, and keep up with the weight loss of all of us "2008 Notorious Novembers" and read all the success stories! Mine will be right there with yours!

:cursing:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: You will do great!!!!!!

Well today I went for my pre-surgery appt., what a nice facility (outpatient) and the staff is great. I am anxious for Monday for a variety of reasons. Well for one I've only had a c-section and so not sure what it will really be like. It looks like it won't be too bad. I'm doing okay on the pre-diet and the staff at the center said that the pre-diet is the hardest part (we'll see about that).

For those of you that have already had your surgery congrats. I'm a widow of 4 years and have an 11 year old daughter, a lot is riding on this surgery. I have personally drained money off the retirement account to make this surgery happen, I hope I never regret it. I've had to make lots of tough decisions in my life and this is not different. Here's to getting to the other side - like I wish it was Thanksgiving 2009 right now.

I'm doing okay on the pre-diet and the staff at the center said that the pre-diet is the hardest part (we'll see about that).

For those of you that have already had your surgery congrats. I'm a widow of 4 years and have an 11 year old daughter, a lot is riding on this surgery. I have personally drained money off the retirement account to make this surgery happen, I hope I never regret it. I've had to make lots of tough decisions in my life and this is not different. Here's to getting to the other side - like I wish it was Thanksgiving 2009 right now.

WOW! Thanks for sharing so much. My surgery is also on the 24th. I'm having a very hard time tonight with my all liquid pre-op diet, so it helps to hear that it is the hardest part. (I feel like killing something or smashing expensive vases against a brick wall.) :unsure:

Anyway, I'm sorry that you had to dip into your retirement money. I totally believe that it will be worth it. Financially, you will save a lot of money on health costs and food in the future. The most important thing is that your daughter needs you. (I'm a single mom of a 12 year old girl.)

I have a hard time facing the damage that I have done to our lives by spending SO much money on food. (I guess I shouldn't assume that you have, too.) It's horrible. I've been evicted and lost other homes due to spending money on food instead of rent.:cursing: Ummm, I could go on and on, but maybe I should do that in my journal. I'm going to have to face the emotional aspect of my food issues if I am going to succeed with the band.

Keep posting. I really want to know how you are doing! :eek:

I have a hard time facing the damage that I have done to our lives by spending SO much money on food. (I guess I shouldn't assume that you have, too.) It's horrible. I've been evicted and lost other homes due to spending money on food instead of rent.:cursing: Ummm, I could go on and on, but maybe I should do that in my journal. I'm going to have to face the emotional aspect of my food issues if I am going to succeed with the band.

Keep posting. I really want to know how you are doing! :eek:

Hi Ginny, I just wanted to touch on one thing you mention. You talk about food issues. I have to share my dinner experience tonight.

I was banded two weeks ago yesterday, which meant that today was my first day with something beyond full liquids. I was so happy to finally be at that point post-op, so I actually cheated and started last night.

Anyways, for Breakfast this morning I had Weight Control banana bread oatmeal. I was soooo enjoying it, but after like 4 bites, I was full. Oh well, I threw the rest away, but was sorta bummed I couldn't finish it.

Lunch time rolled around and I had some creamy tuna salad from the local grocery store, and I LOVE this stuff. Then, after 4 or 5 bites - BAM, I was full again. Talk about pissed!

For dinner, I brought home my leftover tuna salad from lunch, and I heated up some of the ricotta bake that I made last night. I sat down, and I was really really looking forward to eating. I mean, all day I'd wanted to eat food. But being full after a few bites just makes it not possible to keep eating, you know?

I took maybe 5-6 bites of each part of my meal, and I was full. In fact, I was a little more than full - I was uncomfortably stuffed. And I got so upset I started crying. I wanted to eat! I didn't want to eat a few bites and be done, I wanted to clean my plate!

After a few minutes I realized I was crying because I couldn't eat, and I got mad. Obviously, I got the band so I could lose weight, and losing weight means eating less. I'm so happy that I am on this journey, but it made me realize that I truly do have an addiction to food. Before, I always used to tell myself I just eat because I'm bored, and that I don't have a problem. But crying over not being able to eat a lot of food is definitely a sign that something is wrong in my head. But I'm ready to tackle the problem and face the issue and work through this. Eating less is going to do so much more for my life!

Anyways, I got sorta long-winded there but I just wanted to make sure you know - you aren't alone, we are all going through similar struggles, and we will all make it to the other side. :unsure:

Jenny and Jaime, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know that what you both said is the core issue. I had a talk with my sister, who is a recovering alcoholic. I told my sister that I now have a better understanding of what she went through when she walked through the door at AA. She can so relate to what I have to say. food will no longer control my life. I know the journey will be tough some days, but so is carrying an extra 100 lbs. I will find fun new things to fill the voids left from this addiction, exercise being one. A hobby would be good, all I do now is focus on raising my daughter. So here's to motherhood and also to getting the priorities right when it comes to food. :)

Day 1 for me. COuldn't drink the stuff they wanted me to have. So I'm having 2 Slimfast and a lean frozen meal for 800 cals.

I have a headache too, but I also said good bye to my long time friend "Diet Coke" last night.

I said goodbye to my long time friend Dt. Coke too! I thought it was going to be really hard, but it was'nt that bad! Had a headache for a couple of days but otherwise I survived! I replaced my Dt. Coke habit with drinking Crystal Light. It is pretty good stuff!!!

While I was on the pre-op diet I lost 20 pounds! I think it was because I was not drinking lots of Dt. Coke and craving chocolate/sweets/junk food! I had read that drinking dt coke makes you crave sweets but I never thought it was true. I wonder now?

Good luck to you on this new and exciting journey! :)

And I got so upset I started crying. I wanted to eat! I didn't want to eat a few bites and be done, I wanted to clean my plate!

After a few minutes I realized I was crying because I couldn't eat, and I got mad. Obviously, I got the band so I could lose weight, and losing weight means eating less. I'm so happy that I am on this journey, but it made me realize that I truly do have an addiction to food. Before, I always used to tell myself I just eat because I'm bored, and that I don't have a problem. But crying over not being able to eat a lot of food is definitely a sign that something is wrong in my head. But I'm ready to tackle the problem and face the issue and work through this. Eating less is going to do so much more for my life!

Anyways, I got sorta long-winded there but I just wanted to make sure you know - you aren't alone, we are all going through similar struggles, and we will all make it to the other side. :drool:

Jenny and Jaime, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know that what you both said is the core issue. I had a talk with my sister, who is a recovering alcoholic. I told my sister that I now have a better understanding of what she went through when she walked through the door at AA. She can so relate to what I have to say. Food will no longer control my life. I know the journey will be tough some days, but so is carrying an extra 100 lbs. I will find fun new things to fill the voids left from this addiction, exercise being one. A hobby would be good, all I do now is focus on raising my daughter. So here's to motherhood and also to getting the priorities right when it comes to food. :w00t:

Pat, funny you should mention alcoholism. I've been sober for 19 years. Addicted to food and shopping, but not using alcohol anymore. I have been comparing this in my mind to alcoholism and recovery. The lapband is my antibuse. Right now I am in detox. After my banding I will be in rehab. Once I can eat solids, I will be out of rehab and into the scary real world. Thank God for my antibuse, because if I use my "drug" I'll get really sick! If I start eating around my band it means I stopped taking my antibuse so that I could fall off the wagon intentionally. This board is my meeting. You guys are my support group.

Jaime, I'm glad you shared what you did. I wasn't thinking it would be so hard right away. I'm still on the pre-op. It's not being hungry that bothers me. That passes. It's the emptiness. I feel empty. When I feel stuffed then I am a little numbed. I remember telling a co-worker a long time ago, "I don't care what happens during the day. As long as I can go home, sit in my chair and eat my Oreos and Diet Coke, I'll be happy." I had a very stressful job, but I got through the day by thinking of the moment that I would sit in my comfy chair, all alone, with my stack of Cookies and my huge Diet Coke. That would make everything all right.

Is there a section on this board that deals specifically with sharing these kinds of issues?

BTW,

Sorry that last post was so long!

Hey, guys! Just had my surgery today. I have to say the recovery room was not as easy as I had hoped from reading the posts. I felt like I was going to throw up, which scared me to death. I ended up dry heaving b/f they gave me some drugs. They didn't help a lot though. I was scared to take Phenergan b/c it would have put me back to sleep. And of course I was practically trying to walk while I was in a coma! :drool: But I meant I was getting out of there. Oh yeah, the pressure in my abdomen/chest was awful!

Anyway, if you had asked me those two hours right after surgery, I don't know that I would have done it again! However, at 2:00 I took pain med. Slept until 4:00 and felt MUCH better.

Now, I'm very sore and bruised but don't really know when to use pain meds. Did anyone use just Tylenol? I'm also scared of drinking too fast and nothing sounds good to "eat." Would love to hear what drugs others used right after and what "food" helped get rid of this yucky taste. Water is not doing it. Thanks for any input.

Day 3 post op and I am still having lots of gas pains!!!

Is this normal?

Nothing seems to help! I just went for a walk at wal-mart and felt worse afterwards!

Please tell me that this will go away soon! Is there something wrong? HELP!!!

BLOATED AND FRUSTRATED!!!

Day 3 post op and I am still having lots of gas pains!!!

Is this normal?

Nothing seems to help! I just went for a walk at wal-mart and felt worse afterwards!

Please tell me that this will go away soon! Is there something wrong? HELP!!!

BLOATED AND FRUSTRATED!!!

Have no fear! Gas pains were completely gone for me by Day 7, but I'd say by Day 5 they were definitely far enough in the background that I didn't notice them every waking moment. You're almost there, hang in there! :drool:

Have no fear! Gas pains were completely gone for me by Day 7, but I'd say by Day 5 they were definitely far enough in the background that I didn't notice them every waking moment. You're almost there, hang in there! :w00t:

Thanks so much! THis is so good to know! Now I have something to looked forward to on Sunday besides mushies!!!

I wish my husband can just squeeze me and help push all this gas out! I dont care which way it comes out just GET OUT!!!! ARRAGH!!! :drool::tt1:

Thanks again! Have a good evening!

Hey, guys! Just had my surgery today. I have to say the recovery room was not as easy as I had hoped from reading the posts. I felt like I was going to throw up, which scared me to death. I ended up dry heaving b/f they gave me some drugs. They didn't help a lot though. I was scared to take Phenergan b/c it would have put me back to sleep. And of course I was practically trying to walk while I was in a coma! :w00t: But I meant I was getting out of there. Oh yeah, the pressure in my abdomen/chest was awful!

Anyway, if you had asked me those two hours right after surgery, I don't know that I would have done it again! However, at 2:00 I took pain med. Slept until 4:00 and felt MUCH better.

Now, I'm very sore and bruised but don't really know when to use pain meds. Did anyone use just Tylenol? I'm also scared of drinking too fast and nothing sounds good to "eat." Would love to hear what drugs others used right after and what "food" helped get rid of this yucky taste. Water is not doing it. Thanks for any input.

Hey There! I had my surgery on Tues. Nov. 18th. I did not have any problems after surgery but my pain has been with the GAS! :drool: I have only taken Tylenol Liquid Blast. You can find it at Walmart where all the pain reliever is. It's cherry and does not taste too bad. I just drink water afterwards. I have not had to use it that much because I dont have that much pain in my incisions. Most of my pain/uncomfortableness is Gas pains, which Gas X strips seem to be helping for that! I have not had much of an appetite either. Not that hungry yet but I seem to be taking my popcicles, Protein Shakes, and drinking water fine!

Good luck to you! Take care and rest!