Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from California

Hey everyone!

i am in the decision-making proces of getting banded. I think I know which surgeon I want--already contacted the office and they are sending me the paperwork. I will have to change my PCP because my medical group doesn't cover the surgeon I want, and I have to decide WHEN to do this. I am an elementary school vice principal with only school-related vacation times. Taking sick leave is a no no in this business. My principal would have a cow if I up and left for a couple of weeks to recover from much needed surgery. I am 5'4'' 290 lbs, mother of 2 boys 13 & 8. Oldest child is on the autistic spectrum; married to a wonderful, supportive man, who would love me if I was 150--like when he met me, or 550. However, he supports my decision, but is concerned about the risks of surgery. I suffer from arthritic knees, asthma, sleep apnea, and hypertension. Ineed to have this weight gone and for good, and SOON. I was thinking about winter break (2 weeks off) but I don't know if that would be enough recoup time. My job is extremely stressful and requires physical exertion, such as chasing down and carrying reluctant kindergartners back to class, breaking up fights, calling parents to tell them their child is suspended, or discovering child abuse cases and reporting to CPS. I also get 2 weeks fro SPring break in March and 8 weeks in the summer beginning early June--June's a long way off, but I may need to wait until then. Tell me what you think? :)

Hi Adamsmom and welcome. I am from Northern California and I am close to getting banded. I meet with the surgeon on October 8.

I am taking three weeks off, utilizing vacation time as I don't want any of my co-workers to know that I am having surgery. I am hoping for a December surgery date during Xmas break.

What type of insurance do you have and did you contact them to make sure bariatric surgery is a benefit? That is where I would start the journey.

Best of luck to you and keep in touch! :)

Hey everyone!

i am in the decision-making proces of getting banded. I think I know which surgeon I want--already contacted the office and they are sending me the paperwork. I will have to change my PCP because my medical group doesn't cover the surgeon I want, and I have to decide WHEN to do this. I am an elementary school vice principal with only school-related vacation times. Taking sick leave is a no no in this business. My principal would have a cow if I up and left for a couple of weeks to recover from much needed surgery. I am 5'4'' 290 lbs, mother of 2 boys 13 & 8. Oldest child is on the autistic spectrum; married to a wonderful, supportive man, who would love me if I was 150--like when he met me, or 550. However, he supports my decision, but is concerned about the risks of surgery. I suffer from arthritic knees, asthma, sleep apnea, and hypertension. Ineed to have this weight gone and for good, and SOON. I was thinking about winter break (2 weeks off) but I don't know if that would be enough recoup time. My job is extremely stressful and requires physical exertion, such as chasing down and carrying reluctant kindergartners back to class, breaking up fights, calling parents to tell them their child is suspended, or discovering child abuse cases and reporting to CPS. I also get 2 weeks fro SPring break in March and 8 weeks in the summer beginning early June--June's a long way off, but I may need to wait until then. Tell me what you think? :)

What part of California are you from?

San Joaquin County, but surgery will be done in Oakland at Alta Bates Hospital.

Hey everyone!

whereabouts in California are you?:)

hi i am from stockton and i had my band put on 8/25/08 and i work in a high school with special needs students i took off 4 weeks due to the fact that i do alot of lifting and changes in my class i all so had a hernia repaired at the same time my doc was doc Antonio K Coirin if there is no lifting in your job i would say 2 weeks would be enough time but your doc will let you know

Intersting how others replied for me--I am not from Stckton,not going to Oakland for surgery. I am from the Sacramento area. Thanks for the advice checking with insurance. I did and they do!:(

Hi teensaline: I am from Stockton too, but I am required to go to Alta Bates in Oakland. I am not banded yet, but I think I am getting close. Do you have any regrets? How are you doing with the band???