Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think thinking I'll just have a taste is one thing and planning for it, ordering an entire pizza for example, planning to be alone while you do it and all that is quite different as well.

But I just EAT what I want to and I've found that the foods that I cant stomach just dont appeal to me anymore. Like I dont want fries ever because they cause me pain, I've come to really dislike pizza etc. And not because I've had dozens of pizza episodes, just because the experience of eating it is tedious and I jsut cant be bothered.

That does happen with time.

I do chew and spit at times. Not because I don't want to swallow, but because when I am chewing the food in my mouth, I KNOW before swallowing that it wont be band friendly once it gets down....so, I spit the bite out before swallowing and dealing with a major stuck episode! I would hardly call that an eating disorder.

I think we have all done that once or twice. What we are talking about is people, banded or otherwise who purposely take that bite of whatever food with the intention of not swallowing it. They chew it and then spit it out. It's something that is done on purpose, not just because they take a bite and realize it isn't a band friendly food.

Sorry but that's bull! Doing what "makes me happy" got me to 405 pounds. Some things are dangerous whether they make a person happy or not.

I agree with you RestlessMonkey! There are hundreds of things that make me happy, but several will get me arrest! HA!! So it's best to do what makes you healthy and safe!

i do think it could be considered an eating disorder. Not much different than swallowing and throwing up in my own opinion. Now since ive been on solids i have done what someone mentioned above. I took a bite and knew it wouldnt go down good, so i took it out of my mouth. I think this is being aware of your band. However doing it for the simple pleasure of just to taste forbidden foods. I dont know. My personal opinion is thoughts that lead up to this behavior arent self controlled, what will then come between the person starting to ingest these foods, and then feel bad and throw up? one action leads to another action. ITs just not good eating habits. I Think for me knowing later, I can still have some of my favorites if tolerated, in very small portions and limited, gives me more will power now to eat healthy foods and make good choices. I do hope if this is something someone is considering ( chew and spitting) to ask their doctor about it to see how they feel about it

I have eaten a few bites too close together just swallowed and realized what I have in my mouth isnt going to go down o.k., so out it comes. Ill just quitely put it in a napkin. But olny when I feel what im chewing on isnt going down o.k. This shouldnt be a SUBSTUTION for eating.

My impression is that part of the point of the band is to help learn to give up or moderate foods that do not lead to a healthy way of life.

Chewing and spitting is definitely not normal or okay. I agree that spitting out something you suddenly realize is too big of a bite or not going to go down well is different than trying to get the flavor of a food you have had to give up but not suffer consequences from it.

If you would not do it in front of your friends or family, chances are you should not be doing it at all.

I had a fill yesterday - 2 cc's so very tight today - I drank Protein Shake and it went down but was starving later so thought what can I eat that is soft? I went and got some refried Beans at Taco Bell thinking Protein and soft, etc. They tasted so good but got stuck so I had to spit them out - I kept putting them in my mouth to at least get the flavor of something good in even though I knew they wouldn't stay down - it is more from a feeling of starvation and hunger than an eating disorder with me - I do not have an eating disorder.

I'll tell you why bulemics swallow , I was one for 3 years.

When you start purging you don't intend to do it as much you do . Then your mind set changes and you know you're looking good even though you're killing yourself slowly,your old self still wants that ice cream or extra helpings so you have it then you vomit , then you look at yourself in the mirror with your face red your eyes watering and you just know that even though your collar bones are jutting out you're still the same gluttonous pig you were before you were damn near emaciated. You're afraid to eat , you're afraid to vomit. It does become a vicious cycle. I wasn't much of a binger though , I was a purger of anything that went in my mouth. There's a lot more but I'll spare you the details. You never know about anything until you've walked that path.