Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoked salmon spread

Smoked Salmon Spread

This is great to eat as a snack or small meal depending on restriction with some veggies, a couple reduced fat crackers, pretzels or how you would eat any tuna or crab salad.

Blend the following in a cuisinart until smooth:

- 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese

- 8 oz nonfat plain greek yogurt

- 1 tsp lemon pepper (mine is a gourmet blend that has salt & garlic in it - you can add a little of these to add flavor)

Add & Pulse till well blended:

- 8 oz Smoked Salmon, chopped (I used 1/2 a 1lb pkg smoked sockeye salmon from costco - the kind used for lox, not the drier kind

- 1 sm sweet onion, diced

This obviously makes a lot - about 3.5 c, but I'll serve it as a dip for guests or take some to work. You could also easily 1/2 it I just like to get rid of containers and use things up.

Nutrition:

7 - 1/2 c. servings

188 cal. 19 g. Protein

10 - 1/3 c. servings

132 cal. 13 g. Protein

I ate 1/3 c. tonight with .5 oz (12) snyder's of hanover butter pretzel snaps (the pretzel squares) which only added 60 cal. and 1.5 g protein. This is just about the same cal and protein of a high protein chocolate slim fast shake.

Last suggestion / note:

This is the consistency of a spread/ dip. You could use the entire 1 lb package of salmon without adjusting the other ingredients (more of a tuna salad consistency) which would change the nutrition to:

1/2 cup serving - 219 cal. 25 g. protein

Sounds heavenly. I love smoked salmon sushi rolls. They are my favorite, and to date, I can still eat it. I don't have a problem with rice. I also like salmon mousse. It's light and so good. thumbs up on salmon. If you can get some good fillets at the market, try this. I make it all the time. It's become a family favorite and so simple to do.

rinse salmon fillets and place in a grilling basket, skin side down. Coat the top of the fillets with reduced fat Mayonnaise. Sprinkle with either Greek seasoning or Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning. Then top with parmesan cheese. Set grilling basket on the grill, with the fire on the far side set on low. close lid. It may cook unevenly, so just switch sides. Let it get nice and brown on top. It's AWESOME.

thank you kcmagu!!!

i love salmon (all ways) but hubby does not care for it cooked...i just bought some lox this AM.....appreciate your post!!

Aubrie -that sounds really good - I used to make something similar. It was a mix of mayo, parmesan, lemon juice and garlic on top of orange roughy under the broiler. I'll have to to try yours, because I do love my salmon.

this may sounds weird, but have recently found that i like salmon. I have grilled it once at home but otherwise eat it out. Can you tell me exaclty what salmon you are putting in this dip it sound great but i am unsure what to do with the salmon.

thanks

beth

... hubby does not care for it cooked

I'm in a similar but reversed boat then you. Wife does not like smoked fish in ANY form. I miss smoked salmon and smoked whiting :smile2:

Bethgrove-

I'm glad you are enjoying salmon. I bough the kirkland brand (costco) 'wild alaskan smoked sockeye salmon - 1 lb package) there were 2 different packages there but I do prefer sockeye. If you've never had smoked salmon before there are 2 different kinds 1 is a drier style (i believe it is hot smoked) it looks like normal cooked salmon but has the smoked flavor. The other one is what you might get as an appetizer at a nice restaurant or if you go to a bagel place and get lox (i believe this is cold smoked.) It looks (don't let it scare you) like it is still raw but remains fully cooked and has the same smoked flavor.

I'll be honest I have loved smoked salmon for years but would only eat the drier (hot smoked) kind - because I was put off by the looks of the other kind. This changed this year when I went out and received the cold smoked style as an appetizer and didn't want to hurt the feelings of the person who had ordered it for me - I LOVE IT NOW !!!!!

All I do is open the package and chop up what I am going to use for the dip into medium chunks just to make it easier to pulse into the dip.

Hope this helps!

Wow, sounds yummy! I am just thrilled that so many of the things I love to eat might still be good for me after surgery. I'm saving this recipe so I can use it in a month or two! Thanks!

ok - so i made this yesterday, added a tsp of capers & used a red onion.

there was NONE left for me this morning, which i had planned for Breakfast. well there was a tablespoon or 2 ...but hubby ate it all, along w/a bag of carrotts...LOL

he said this had to be a house staple - so off to get more lox/cream cheese.

You made me about fall off my chair laughing! I was thinking about adding capers and using red onion because those are so classic with smoked salmon - but wasn't sure how they would blend in - I will surely try it now!

Glad you enjoyed it!

This sounds so delicious. Do you think since it is blended in the food processor, that I could get away with this during mushies?

I don't see why not. Hope it works out for you!

i only WISH i had this recp on the mushie stage.....

i'm on round 2 of this dish & have family here watching college football - it's a winner!!!

Well great minds think alike - we were enjoying it too on a great college football day!!