Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know where to begin :(

This is the first time on the site! I'm actually checking on this for my daughter who is 19 - I could also use the surgery, but my concern is for her right now. I'm pretty sure my blue/cross ppo doesn't cover it, although I will call them on Monday. From what I'm reading, this seems to be a complicated process on trying to get the insurance to cover it. Do you suggest starting with a seminar to find a Dr? or with insurance? I'm in Michigan and haven't even made a call yet. Help!! :thumbup: Thanks for listening!

i would start with calling your insurance and see if its even an option you might have to save money. Thats were i started and its a good thing i did cause my hubbys insurance didn't cover it so i had to get insurance threw my work which was bcbs. So call and ask.

I agree with gilliebean. Call your insurance and then have them send it to you IN WRITING....or tell you where in your book (if you still have it) to find what they have told you IN WRITING. Then, if covered, complete all the steps, dot the i's, cross the t's, and cross your fingers. Every policy is different. Say your neighbor has Aetna and was covered. Say you have Aetna. you think "wow I'm covered too!" maybe not...employers and insurance purchases can exclude certain types of coverage, like bariatric surgery, to keep costs down. So call, find out, get it in writing too...and then proceed.

Good luck! bring lots of patience!

My health insurance is Health Plan of Nevada and they only cover up to $5000.00 of the total cost of surgery. I have decided to self pay for my surgery and save myself all the hoops the insurance company makes you jump through. Getting through the process is much faster and I am expecting to be scheduled for surgery very soon. Good luck! :thumbup:

Wow, looks like you are doing really well! Yes I went to a seminar already and I have an appt to see my primary doctor next week to get all my lab work, EKG and chest X-Ray done. Once that is done I will hopefully be scheduled really soon. Are you happy with Dr. Atkinson and Dr. Soong? Did you have to stay overnight? Where was your surgery done?

I am very happy! Dr. Soong was the Primary Surgeon and Dr. Atkinson assisted him. They both have a great support system. I had my surgery at Las Vegas Regional Surgery Center. It was outpatient. That night Dr. Soong sent me an email with his email address so that if I had any nonemergent questions I could email him. I did on my third day post op and he responded to me within the hour. It is very comforting to know that he is really there for me! They are both excellent Dr's. Their staff and PA's are also very wonderful. I am very glad that I chose this group to do my surgery. Who are you planning on?

Best of Luck in your new Journey to a thinner you!

I am so glad to hear that! I am also planning on having Dr. Soong do my surgery. I hope I can have it done at the surgery center also. Who decides where you are going to have surgery? I don't want to have to stay overnight if I don't have to. I normally do very well with surgery. Did you go on any kind of pre-op diet?

First off, I was cash pay, so they gave me the choice. And to be honest I chose the surgery center because it was on a friday as opposed to the hospital on a monday. I was not put on a preop diet. Today was my first postop visit, I am down 14lbs!!!!!! One more week of the full liquid diet and then one week of mushy foods and then on to the real stuff! I am so incredibly excited this time (dieting wise) because all the other times I have worked so hard and yes I might lose 20 but, that means practically starving to death and exercising my life away. This is much more tolerable and I can handle the food situation. I honestly thing if your mind set is in the right place you will definitely succeed at this! TTYS!

Abblav, did they work out a payment plan or are you paying totally up front? Is the total bill somewhere around 12,000.00? I spoke with my insurance yesterday and they said I need a diagnosis code from my Dr. before they can tell me if it's covered.............thanks :smile:

Hi, No I will be paying up front. I applied for credit through Care Credit. They finance medical treatments. The cost I was told will be around $16,000. The CPT code for lap band is (43770). Hope this helps.

Hi Obtech, Wow you are doing great! I am a cash pay also so hopefully I will be able to pick where I have my surgery. I can't wait to get my band! On Thursday I go see my primary Doc, get the Rx for all my tests and get them done ASAP! Keep up the good work!