Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when will my hair stop falling out?????

Ok i posted this same question on another part of this board, but maybe i'll get a better response here. I am 7 months out and have lost about 40 pounds. I am stalled right now in the losing game, and the only thing I am losing is excessive amounts of HAIR! I don't mean a few strands here and there I mean clumps of my hair every day are falling out. Thanks to God for giving me a thick mane to begin with so it isn't so noticable.

Anyway, I do get all of my protien in, as that is pretty much all i eat. I am not totally sure what else could be causing th problem. Is there a time frame as to when this will settle down or should i go wig shopping soon?

thanks,

Patti

Patti.

I'm sorry, I can't give you much of an answer, but just to let you know, the same thing is happening to me.

I'm just about 3 months post-op and I've noticed my hair has started to come out too. Like you my hair is long and thick - so its not noticeable, but its worrying all the same. I'm eating a balanced diet and taking my Vitamins too. Hopefully somone can get back to us and give some advice.

Trauma of any sort can cause this...also the hormone changes your body is going through can cause this...but its mostly the fact you have lost weight fairly rapid, and surgery is considered a trauma to the body...It should grow back or thicken in the future...Good Luck

The two major causes would be Protein deficiency or Vitamin deficiency. I was told it takes approximately three months of damage to start the onset of hair loss and once you find the solution it takes three months for the Hair loss to stop completely.

I started losing my hair and upped my Protein which was probably the problem and I added Biotin just in case. (Hair, Skin and Nails supplement). I have three protein based meals, a 35G shake and if necessary a 25G protein shot so I am getting around 100 G of protein a day along with 3000MCG of Biotin. I have been doing this for a month or so and the hair loss has definitely slowed down a good amount. I wish I could tell you which of these things helped, probably the protein but either way the biotin is helping with the strength of both my hair and my nails so I will keep up with both. Make sure you are taking a good Multi-Vitamin too.

Edited by Jodi_620

hi. I feel better after reading some of the replies, but can someone tell me - Roughly, how much in food equivelant is 100g of Protein?

You know, I really need to make an appointment to see my dietician!!

Thanks xx

I usually get 60-70 G in my three meals (example: eggbeaters with meat and cheese for Breakfast, 1 oz lean meat/veggie (Beans are a great veggie choice)for lunch and dinner).

Then I add a 35G per serving Protein shake mid-morning and try to get a 25G Protein shot in the evening.

90 G protein per day is usually what is recommended but I just wanted to increase it to 100+ for a while due to my hair loss.

My doc mentioned this in the weight loss seminar. I'll sum up what he told us. All his patients lose some hair (in varying amounts) at about 3-6 months out. It grows back, and the only patient he's ever had who needed a wig owned a wig store. :thumbup: He said they've recommended all types of supplements etc and none have had an effect. He told us it is from the stress of surgery and the drastic change in eating and that every single patient, including the "wig" lady, had their hair grow back as thick or thicker than before.

He said "brace yourself for it, don't buy a lot of supplements to prevent it because you most likely can't, and get through it".

Hope that helps. Yours should've warned you.

Restless Monkey, I agree with this. I've had other major traumas to my body in the past and the same thing happened. The hair will come out and in 4 to 6 months it will be back like it had never gone. It is scary, though, to have the brush full of hair. I was sure I was going bald and that everyone could tell.... They couldn't and I didn't..... so just keep moving along and things will work out...

Okay everyone, I am in the same boat. I am about 10 weeks post op and I started loosing more hair than usual about 2 weeks ago. I have been diligent at getting all of my Protein and then some (about 100 g a day) for the entire time. I take Vitamins, and have been trying my best to make good food choices and I am still loosing my hair. I honestly think it is due to the anesthesia/surgery. Like many of you, I have plenty of hair and no one can see what I am seeing. I did get some Biotin and I will mention it to my surgeon on Tuesday. I am also attending a support group meeting that night so maybe others will have some input too. Good luck to everyond.

What is a 25g Protein shot? My doctor told me I had to get 60 grams of protein in a day. I thought that was a lot but now it seems like it might not be enough.

The only time a lost clumps of hair, in which my daughter asked if I was on chemo, was when my thryoid issue was finally diagnosed correctly. Now I am taking synthroid .88 mg every day and no more Hair loss, but I worry what will happen once I am banded. :cry_smile:

Contact your doctor, this is not normal, I am 7 months out and have not lost a hair at all.

You say you're getting your Protein in, perhaps you need more than the average person does. By all means check with your doctor.